Win10 + Vivaldi + 1Password extension = Crashes

In the past month or so I've noticed that Vivaldi browser becomes unstable and sometimes even crashes after a few hours if 1password extension is enabled. I've had to disable it to avoid disruptions which is a pity because really the browser integration was the greatest thing 1password had going for it. Please give this issue some attention, googling the problem suggests it has been around for a while now, though it didn't seem to impact me at first.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: Windows 10.0.16299
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sam_hall: Honestly...I love Vivaldi. But one of the main reasons I don't use it all the time, on both macOS and Windows, is because it is a bit crashy. I can't say I've had trouble with 1Password there though, just in other contexts not involving 1Password at all. Can you provide the details, steps to reproduce? I'll be happy to test it. We don't have any interaction with Vivaldi's memory, as extensions are all sandboxed, so I don't see how it could be something we could "fix" (and again, Vivaldi crashes just fine without 1Password), but perhaps we can find something that could help its developers address a stability issue.

• sam_hall
    sam_hall
    Community Member

I've had no issues with Vivaldi crashing until I started using 1password. When I enable 1password it's almost guaranteed to start to lock up and then crash if I don't quickly restart it or disable the extension after a few hours of usage. It didn't do this when I first started using 1password though, maybe that's a clue? Is there some kind of cache for 1password or for the browser extension that I can clear?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sam_hall: Nope. The 1Password desktop extension doesn't store anything in the browser. It's literally just a way for the desktop app, which does everything, to connect to the browser. This is what I found Googling:

Which matches my experience. If it helps to clarify, we're not doing anything different with Vivaldi than we do with Chrome: it's literally the same 1Password app, same 1Password extension, and only Vivaldi -- not Chrome, Opera, or any other derivatives -- seems to have this problem. It's a bummer. Hopefully they'll find a way to address these crashes:

"But Vivaldi is still not the finished article, as evidenced by its constant updates and my unfortunate discovery of a couple of bugs that crashed the browser entirely." The Verge: Why I chose Brave as my Chrome browser replacement (March 2019)

I like Brave too...but I'd rather be using Vivaldi. But again, if you can give me your steps to reproduce, I'll be happy to look into it. :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I'm using 1Password in Windows 10 with Vivaldi and Legacy Plugin since January 2019 and I've never had any crash. :/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I guess Sam and I are just "lucky" then... :lol: Thanks for the data point though. :)

Also, I initially read that as "Legacy Penguin". Missed opportunity, I'd say. B)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@brenty
    :D

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That brightened my day, and likely many others to come as I remember that misreading periodically. Thank you! :lol: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.