To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Need help finding a missing thread telling me how to upgrade, signup membership & switch sync

ClickCardo
ClickCardo
Community Member

Have all standalone 1pw with Dropbox sync on all devices. 1x v7 Mojave, 2x v7 iOS 12, 3x v4 Windows 10. About a year ago I discussed getting a membership/ sync account but never followed through. I found that helpful thread. I thought there was another thread of mine where you guided me on exactly how I would switch given my exact setups. I cannot find that thread. Believe it or not I’m switching this week and am hoping to find that thread. Can you help?

I,d also like to use this thread for any switching questions I have this week.

Thanks
CC

1Password Version: 7 & 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Do I sign up for a membership at 1Password.com 1st or download and install the app to all devices?

@ClickCardo: Yes. I would sign up on the website here first:

https://start.1password.com/sign-up/plan

Do I completely uninstall v4 from all Windows computers before installing v7?

Yes. That will not affect your data.

Then you can simply follow this guide to sign into your account on your main device, migrate your data, and setup the rest of your devices as well:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Be sure to follow that all the way to the end, so you don't end up with multiple vaults with the same data, or duplicate items, and so you have the same setup on all your devices so you've got access to all your data on each going forward.

Also still not clear on what a setup code is and how/when you get one. How is it different from the secret key?

The Setup Code is the Secret Key and other account details in QR code form, so it can be scanned. That's available in your Emergency Kit, and in your account Profile. In many cases, you can use that instead of filling out that information manually. You will always need to enter your Master Password manually though, as it only exists in your brain. ;)

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You cleared up some of my confusion, but the support web instructions still leave me wondering.

@ClickCardo: Hey, no problem. That's what we're here for. Ask away! :)

Do I install a different app from 1pw.com over my current 7 apps?

Nope! Same apps, just a more seamless way to use them: you simply sign into your account on each device to access your data -- no sync configuration or license management required. ;)

After I migrate the vault will I have 2 vaults?

Only if you don't follow all of the instructions to remove the old vault.

Depending on the device it says either DELETE or REMOVE vault which sound like 2 completely different actions.

Sorry for the confusion there. It's a bit different since data is handled differently on different platforms. For example, on iOS, if you remove/delete and app all of its data is gone too, which is very different from a computer. Just follow the instructions for each device and you'll be all set. :)

After I setup the Mac and migrate the vault to my account and remove the dB vault I’m not clear what happens on the iOS devices?

You'd need to sign into your account on those too and remove the old vault, also covered in the instructions.

Do I have to open a browser?

To sign up, yes.

Do I have to install a different app?

If you still have 1Password for Windows version 4 installed even though we discussed that earlier, yes, you'd need to install version 7 there instead.

When I go to settings add existing account it wants to scan something, but will not let me enter the credentials and sign in instead which is what I want to do?

Could you please clarify what you're seeing? I'm not sure what you're talking about here, as you haven't included any details, like the device you're using, or the OS or 1Password versions you have there. If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

Can you please clarify for me?

Sure! I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions let us know. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ClickCardo - thanks for the screenshots, but I'm not sure what the difficulty is here? In the first one, if you clicked Add Existing Account (which it seems you did), then (in the second screenshot) just enter your credentials under the "How to find your account details" section. You'll need your sign-in address (typically my.1password.com unless you have a very old account or a 1Password Business account), your Secret Key, your Master Password and the email address you used to sign up. Are you saying you're being prevented from typing anything into those fields?

After 1st device (Mac) migration is my old primary vault still only in Dropbox and membership vault in 1pw.com and before I delete Primary Dropbox what would show under Vaults? After I delete my Primary Dropbox vault from 1pw does it still reside in Dropbox? Please reply Yes or No.

I'd like to, but I can't: you didn't ask just a yes or no question. Yes, after migrating your data on your first Mac, you will still have a sync keychain in Dropbox. You will also have an identical copy of that data in 1password.com. What would show under "vaults" on that Mac should be only the 1password.com account vault, since in 7.3 the removal of your standalone vault should happen automatically. If you did this transfer prior to version 7.2 or thereabouts, there would have been an option to NOT remove the standalone Primary vault, in which case you might see both the 1password.com vault AND the older Primary vault. But if you did/do this in 1Password for Mac 7.3, that shouldn't be the case.

When I open 1Password, sign into 1Password account and then delete my Primary Dropbox vault from 1pw does it still reside in Dropbox? Please reply Yes or No.

If you check the box to remove data from Dropbox as well, then no -- or if you've already previously done that on your Mac. You can only remove a file from Dropbox a single time, but it has to be removed from each copy of 1Password separately.

I take it on iOS v7 I don’t have to sign into a browser?

Right. You'll sign in within the 1Password for iOS app, either manually or using the Setup Code.

After I uninstall v4 from Windows does it leave anything behind, eg. settings, that I have to worry about that will mess up my Dropbox files after install v7 and signing into 1Password account.

No.

I plan my sequence :-1: Please remember I have no e-mail on Windows computers.

I'm not sure what this means; if you have an IMAP service like gmail that's webmail-enabled, you should be at least able to see email in a browser window on any computer, be it Windows, Mac or anything else. I'm also unclear on why you'd need email on your PC to be able to do this.

1. Uninstall 1Password v4 on all Windows computers.
    2. Create 1Password account then install/migrate MacBook Pro and delete Primary.
    3. On iOS devices I open app, sign into account then delete Primary vault.
    4. Finally on Windows computers How do I proceed?

This seems like the proper approach. For #4, visit our downloads page and download 1Password 7 for Windows, install it, then on first run, sign into your account. That should do it. Let us know if you have further questions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ClickCardo - you can use the formatting toolbar at the top of the forum text entry box, which should help if you need to highlight or quote any text. If you'd like to do it manually, you can also set text you want to quote on a new line, preceded by a right caret and a space, like this: > Quoted text . That will render when posted as

Quoted text

If you click the "Preview" button at the bottom of the text entry box, you can see how it will look when you post it, before you actually post. Now, on to your questions.

All the website support seems to assume it’s a 1st install and all my vaults are local not synchronized by Dropbox. This keeps confusing me.

If you have a 1password.com account, your data are not synced via Dropbox, but via the 1password.com servers. I'm not sure what you mean by the above. Are you referring to our printed support documentation? If so, which specific URL and what part about it confuses you?

Regarding keeping your previous data (Dropbox or elsewhere), I wouldn't bother with making sure Dropbox still has your data. Instead, if you want to be able to restore your current data, you should click File > Backup to make a current copy of your data right before you make the change to your 1password.com account. Then, if you ever decide to revert your data, you can restore from that backup, OR -- probably a better option -- you could simply re-enable a local vault in 1Password for Mac and transfer all of your data from your account BACK into the local vault and then set up Dropbox sync again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ClickCardo - backups for standalone 1Password are always kept in your Library folder -- the location varies depending on whether you're using 1Password 6 for Mac from the Mac App Store or from us, or 1Password 7 for Mac, but they will be available there should you need them.

What happens to the account vault if I do quickly want to switch back?

Nothing. If you choose not to subscribe at the end of the 30-day free trial (or you just don't pay when renewal time comes up), the account enters Frozen status. We never have the ability to decrypt your data, so it will just sit there safely in case you ever want to restart the account (re-subscribe). You can also delete the account if you wish via the 1Password web interface.

Also can you give me a link to something that shows me how I might easily transfer account vault to local vault?

Sure

...when I setup/ sign into my account on Windows I really want to just type my credentials and not scan anything. Is that possible?

Sure. It's possible on all platforms. Just enter your email address that you used to sign up, your Secret Key, your Master Password and you should be all set.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. We'll be here. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

G) When I tried to delete the Primary Dropbox vault I found I couldn’t.

@ClickCardo: Can you be more specific? What error are you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

So now I worry what will happen when I sign into my account on my iOS app devices. I don’t want duplicates in my personal account. Any advice welcomed.

If you only copy the data to your account once, you will not have duplicates. Just sign into your account on each device and remove the old vault, as laid out at the end of the guide I referred you to originally:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Also after uninstall Windows v4 and install v7 from my account page what happens when next?

Same thing. Setup the app with your account. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ClickCardo - you can change account settings by signing into your account in a browser and clicking either "settings" or your profile, depending on what you'd like to change. As long as you entered your credit card information properly, the billing should work fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ClickCardo: I think Lars means "properly" in the sense that all of the correct information is in the correct location. Anyway, it's not something we can check for you; we do not have access to your payment information, nor would we have any way of knowing if it's correct.

• I'd say it is fine until proven otherwise. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.