Opera extension will download but won’t install

lbcourtney
lbcourtney
Community Member

Opera extension will download but won’t install. When I click to install it Chrome opens but not to any 1Password site.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Opera
OS Version: OS 10.14.4
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:Opera extension will download but won’t install

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @lbcourtney! So, at the moment, Opera is a little tricky. They've created their own gated extensions store, which we are not officially on. The direct download from our downloads page should work (just the raw .crx file), but it doesn't seem to, in my testing. What does work is using the Chrome Web Store version. You'll need to accept Opera's "bridge" extension to allow you to install from the Chrome Web Store (instead of only their own walled garden of extensions), but in my testing just now, this does work. Let me know how you get on.

• lbcourtney
    lbcourtney
    Community Member

Thank you for your answer. I've never used a bridge extension. How is it done?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lbcourtney!

When you go to the 1Password Chrome extension page, you should see a message at the top of your browser:

Click on Install Extension.

You will now see this message:

You can now click on the Install button to install the 1Password extension. Once you do it, you will see this message:

Click on Ok to proceed to the final step:

On this page, click Install once again to add the 1Password extension to Opera from the Chrome store.

I hope this helps!

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Thank you ( Lars & ag_ana) for these instructions! Got this to work on both Chrome & Opera so will try them out.

I've used Firefox for ages (until their extensions issue) & Safari is terrible.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @mtnbeach! :)

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member

Had the same trouble with Chrome and Opera
    I'm using Chrome 74.0.3729.169 and Opera 60.0.3255.141
    I was able to install Chrome as you indicated but I do not see anything similar to the bridge mode your describe
    Thank you

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tommy - please see ag_ana's comment from April 28. Opera is a Chromium-derivative these days, but they don't allow direct installation of Chrome extensions unless you specifically authorize it. Ana's comment shows you how.

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member

I don't see the same window ag_ana does
    Here is what I see

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tommy - if you've already got the 1Password extension installed in Opera, then you should be set to go. Make sure it's enabled, obviously. But if it's still not working for you, try deleting it, restarting Opera, and re-installing.

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member

The way I got it to work was dragging the Opera extension I downloaded in Safari into Opera and then activating it
    Thank you for your help

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tommy - sounds good! Glad you were able to get it working. :)

This discussion has been closed.