Synching IOS devices

Shopping for password software and would like to keep two iphones and ipads synched thru Icloud from Windows 10 notebook. Is this possible with 1Password, and what package would need for five devices?

Comments

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

@2mramsdell

You can synchronise unlimited devices (on all supported platforms) and future updates included if you subscribe.

If you're an individual then you want the Personal Account for $2.99 per month (before tax)
    If you've got a family (or friends) then you want the Families Account for $4.99 per month (before tax)

https://1password.com/sign-up/

I currently have the following devices:

1. MacBook Pro
    2. iMac
    3. iPhone
    4. iPad
    5. Windows PC
    6. Android Mobile
    7. Linux Desktop

They all synchronise, almost instantly, with one another.

• To add to @gazu's most excellent suggestion, @2mramsdell, 1Password for Windows cannot sync via iCloud, so a 1Password membership would definitely be the way to go. Not only would it cover all of your devices, you wouldn't have to configure sync yourself at all – we take care of that for you. Like gazu, I have a plethora of devices (3 desktop PCs, Surface Pro 4, MacBook Pro, iPad, and an Android phone) all syncing happily with my 1Password Families membership and that's not even counting all of the device my family us as well. If you'd like to learn more about 1Password memberships, you can check out this guide:

https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/

If you're ready to get started, we've published a guide to help you get set up here:

https://support.1password.com/explore/get-started/

And, of course, if you have any questions before you get started or along the way, I'm happy to help. :chuffed:

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

I take it that the 1Password membership uses your server for synching. Is it as secure and encrypted like ICloud? Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @2mramsdell,

Security of your data in 1Password is our top priority. With 1Password accounts, we've taken it even further and you can learn more about how 1Password protects your data here.

Moreover, our hosted services have been reviewed by multiple independent security firms:

Security audits of 1Password

Let us know if you have additional questions. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Different question: What are the steps involved to use 1Password to log into a site on Win10 and then change that existing password to something more secure using 1Passsword?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @2mramsdell,

Please try to use this guide on our website to change your password and make it stronger. Let me know how it works. :smile: :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Have subscribed on Win10 notebook and created a vault with an account stored and have the app on IOS devices. What are the steps to sync the vault with my Iphone, etc.?

• To sync your account to your iPhone, @2mramsdell, you'll need to sign in to your account in your app:

https://support.1password.com/get-the-apps/?ios

Of course, you've already installed the app, so you can skip that step. :+1:

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Have followed your instructions and have added a couple of accounts to the vault on the Windows notebook and that is working fine so far on the Win notebook. On the IOS side; the added accounts aren't showing on the Ipad or Iphone for the autofill feature, so sync must not working yet. The second issue is that, even though I have face recognition activated on my Iphone X for 1Password, when I try logging into a site it's asking for me to type the master password instead of recognizing my face. Other IOS devices are working with Touch ID just fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@2mramsdell: If you open the 1Password app on your iPhone and iPad, are you seeing the Logins there? If so, you probably just need to setup the Password Autofill feature in iOS Settings:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

If you have trouble with a particular step there, just let us know. :)

Sort of in a similar vein, you will need to enter your Master Password to use Autofill (or the 1Password extension) until you've unlocked the 1Password app with your Master Password. If you do that first, you should be able to use Face ID after that (until the Master Password is required again based on your settings).

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Working better now but still a few kinks. How is a two-page log-in handled especially one that has a security question. Is there a special proceedure?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@2mramsdell: "Security" questions/answers will generally not be fillable. It depends completely on how the website is designed, and if each is on a separate page that complicates things significantly. Do you really want more than two Login items for the same website? :) This is a general guide that can help:

Sign in to websites with username and password split across multiple pag

But the exact process will vary heavily from website to website. To be clear, 1Password won't do anything automatically on a second page just because you had it fill on the first; it intentionally only takes action when you tell it to.

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Want to backup to usb drive but can't find agilekeychain doing a search of the entire computer. What am I missing?
    Also unable to find 'preferences' in a dropdown in the latest 1P software.

• 1Password accounts not longer use an agilekeychain, @2mramsdell. Instead, your data is automatically backed up to our secure servers. If you ever lose your local data, install the app, and sign in. Whether a new device, an old one you've reformatted, or whatever – the steps are always the same.

As for "Preferences", that will be 1Password menu > Settings on PC, 1Password menu > Preferences on Mac, or tap Settings at the bottom on Android or iOS. :+1:

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Since accounts are backed up on your server, does that mean that I can't backup locally on a USB drive? If I can, will you give me the steps of that process? Thank all of you for your help as I am very new to this concept and am "feeling around in the dark" a bit.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@2mramsdell: Local backups are less secure and much less reliable, so it's not something we recommend. With a 1Password membership, all your encrypted data is backed up in your account automatically offsite, redundantly, with item history as well. You could export your data and back it up manually however you want, but I'd discourage that since then you'd also be responsible for security, redundancy, and reliability. Keeping the data encrypted in 1Password means you don't have to worry about any of that.

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Since I'm an old man, born in the 40's, I'm not very trusting of Gov't type entities that tell me they know what's best for me. So, I feel better having a "hard copy" of my world locked in my rather large safe and I've been responsible for me and mine for a long time. I do understand your position as an employee of 1P and the possible issues you noted but I would still like to know the steps that I would need to take in order to have a local copy of the account that's not just inside my computer. Would that ability negate storage on your server or would it be just another copy?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@2mramsdell: Yeah, we're not affiliated with any government. And, as I mentioned, you can export and backup yourself if you want. But I'm not going to assume that everyone who might read this discussion will be diligent about encrypting, destroying any unencrypted copies, and making redundant backups -- on a consistent basis. So I'm always only going to recommend using the method that I know will be secure and dependable: automatic offsite backup encrypted on our server. We just don't have control of anything outside of that -- not for the sake of control, mind you, but to ensure that it actually happens. You, of course, don't have to follow my recommendation, but I'm not going to give you instructions on how to ignore my advice. :lol: You can export from the desktop apps, but after that it's entirely outside of the scope of 1Password.

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Added 1P to Ipads and Iphones but not able to log into stored sites using it. With every attempt 1P asks for Master PW and then when I touch the 1P button nothing happens. Works great on Win10 notebook. On Iphone x, bank app shows login screen, I tap user and two buttons appear (1Password and Keychain) . I tap 1P, with facial ID rec, and the 1P screen appears with all the accts in my vault instead of just that bank's. If I touch that bank's listing, the screen goes back to the bank's sign in screen. Can't get out of that loop. What am I doing wrong?

• I'm not sure I'm fully following you here, @2mramsdell. You mention needing both Master Password and Face ID, as well as nothing happening at all. Are things working differently on the iPads vs. the iPhones? I think it would help to concentrate on just a single device for the moment. Could you walk through the steps you take to sign in to a normal website in Safari (just to keep things simple for now) on just one of your devices? The more detail the better. I think that will help us direct you a bit better so we're not trying to think about multiple devices at once. Once we've got one behaving properly, it'll be easier to address the others. :chuffed:

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Went through multiple websites today and changed the passwords on the Windows computer and verified that 1P worked with each. Then decided to try a couple of banking apps on the Iphone X. Touched the app and got to the login blanks and touched the username blank which brought up the keyboard with a "key" symbol and the word "passwords" next to it. Touched that and it goes through facial rec with a green check for approval and gives me a popup with 1Password and Keychain as selection options. Touch 1P and it opens 1P "Create Login" page with all my accts. listed. If I scroll down to the appropriate website and touch it, it goes back to the app's sign in page to start the whole process over again. Have verified that the user and pw do work for the site so the correct ones are stored in 1P

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! Thanks for the update. It sounds like you're in good shape, but we're here if you need us. :)

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

No. Not in good shape. The above sequence, requested by Bundtkate, was a step by step of a never ending loop and 1P never autofills. I can only access the site by manually filling the user and pw.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@2mramsdell: I'm not sure I follow then. You said "verified that 1P worked with each". Can you clarify where you're running into trouble? What is the exact OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions involved, the URL, and the point where you're getting stuck? Maybe a screenshot would help.

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Never mind. I think I figured it out. When I touch passwords at the top of the keyboard popup after touching username blank in the Citibank app, and then touch 1Password, which did a facial rec but then went back to the Citi sign in, this time with the password dots filled in. And, if I touch 1Password again, it will sign me in. Before when it looped back to Citi sign in I didn't notice that the password was filled in and didn't know to touch 1P again. By the way this is Iphone X, IOS 12.3.1, Citibank app. Sorry to bother

• The process you're seeing still sounds a bit off to me, @2mramsdell. Here's the sequence I'd expect:

1. Open your banking app, then tap either the username or password field.
    2. Tap the Passwords option on your keyboard. This should bring up an option to choose iCloud Keychain or 1Password if you have both enabled.
    3. Tap 1Password and 1Password will as for FaceID.
    4. Once you've authenticated, it will offer either a) the Login associated with that account, if the app has a proper associated URL or b) a list of likely matches if it does not.
    5. Tapping the proper item will fill both username and password so you can sign in.

Step 5 is handled entirely by iOS so depending on how well a given app has implemented Password AutoFill support, I could see some perhaps not working quite as well as others, but the process should otherwise be consistent. It sounds to me like you're sometimes getting tripped up a bit earlier than that ... Does my description match your experience or do you agree that it's still a bit off at times? If it is off, do you see this in multiple apps or just CitiBank? Thanks!

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Citi sign-in is coming up with username prefilled, so if I touch the password blank it offers the keyboard with "passwords" at the top. Touching that offers the 1P and keychain. I select 1P, it does the face rec, offers the vault list from which I select Citi, goes back to Citi sign-in with password prefilled and I simply tap "go" to enter the site. Other apps are a bit simpler but I think this will work.

• Ok, that sounds about right, thanks for the clarification, @2mramsdell. I'd agree then that you're all set. :+1:

• 2mramsdell
    2mramsdell
    Community Member

Many thanks to you for your patience

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@2mramsdell: On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :chuffed:

We are always ready to help you with 1Password, so feel free to raise any questions.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.