Failed Attempts in 1Password for iPad

xionoix
xionoix
Community Member
I am trying to get logged into my skype account that I used for the first time about a week ago. When I did, I could barely get logged in because I had forgotten my password. I decided to change my password and store it in my 1Password app on my iPad. Now I have forgotten my 1Password password!

When you type it incorrectly it tells you how many failed attempts, but doesn't tell you when the explosion is going to occur. Does anyone know what will happen when I reach the magic number of attempts, and how many attempts do I get?

I read some other posts about recovering from backup. I have synced to dropbox in the past but I think it old. The file named .ws.agile.1Password.settings on the root of my Dropbox is dated seven months ago. I sold my Mac, so I don't have 1Password for OS X anymore.

Skype is the only thing that I can't recover if I blow away my 1Password database and start over. Any ideas?

I can't reset my Skype password because it requires you to know your password in order to change it. I can get logged in because Safari on my iPad saved it, but doesn't it doesn't get entered automatically in the change password screen. Also, I signed up with a .mac account which I have since let it expire, so I can't get an email from Skype. I have emailed them as well.

Sidenote: If I count the dots in Safari, does that help me with the actual length of the password?

Thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011
    Welcome to the forums, xionoix. I'm sorry that you are having this trouble.

Your master password, it is used to encrypt all your confidential information stored within 1Password; without this password your data cannot be recovered. Your 1Password master password is known only by you, and we cannot reset it for you; if we could, that would be a security hole that criminals could use to steal your data.

If you cannot remember the master password, you will need to delete the 1Password app from your iPad and start over. This will also delete all of your 1Password data from your iPad, but there are several ways you might be able to recover that data, after you reinstall the 1Password app:

* If you've been using Dropbox to sync your data with 1Password for Mac or Windows, just set up Dropbox syncing again in the reinstalled app, and your data will start syncing to your iPad automatically. Please see this guide for instructions:

http://help.agilebit...th_dropbox.html

* If you've previously sync'ed your 1Password data with 1Password for Mac using Wi-Fi syncing, you can easily restore your data during the next Wi-Fi sync:

http://help.agilebit...c_manually.html

* If you've used the built-in "backup and restore" feature to save a backup copy of your 1Password data, you can use it again to restore that saved backup file. You can read more about our backup and restore option here:

http://help.agilebit...Pad/backup.html

Please note that you don't have to repurchase 1Password in order to reinstall the app, providing you're still using the same iTunes account that you used to purchase the app originally, then you will be able to download the current version for free. Unfortunately, it won't look like it's free until you choose to "buy" it and enter your password. You don't have to take our word for it, though. Here is Apple's official support document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519
  • xionoix wrote:

I am trying to get logged into my skype account that I used for the first time about a week ago. When I did, I could barely get logged in because I had forgotten my password. I decided to change my password and store it in my 1Password app on my iPad. Now I have forgotten my 1Password password!

When you type it incorrectly it tells you how many failed attempts, but doesn't tell you when the explosion is going to occur. Does anyone know what will happen when I reach the magic number of attempts, and how many attempts do I get?

I am also intersested to know how many attemps are allowed and what happens when this number is reached, in the 1Password for iPad lock screen.

Altough khad's answer tells us all there is to know about the 1Password master password used to encrypt your data:

khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, xionoix. I'm sorry that you are having this trouble.

Your master password, it is used to encrypt all your confidential information stored within 1Password; without this password your data cannot be recovered. Your 1Password master password is known only by you, and we cannot reset it for you; if we could, that would be a security hole that criminals could use to steal your data.

If you cannot remember the master password, you will need to delete the 1Password app from your iPad and start over. This will also delete all of your 1Password data from your iPad, but there are several ways you might be able to recover that data, after you reinstall the 1Password app:

It doesn't tell us anything about the iPad's app locking password. Which is, confusely named, "master password" indeed...

There is a lot of confusion here... Because, in fact, your true "master password", used to decrypt your keychain synced with dropbox, is simply labelled "Password". In Settings > Sync > Dropbox > Account > Password.

I may be wrong about this, but it seems pretty clear given the expected behavior after having tried the 1Password for iPhone app. (Locking screen with four-digit password versus the keychain's master password)

Maybe this should be fixed or documented in an upcoming update...
  • MikeT
    edited September 2011
    Hi Arko, welcome to the forums!

The password you created in 1Password for iPad is the master password (specifically for 1Password on the iPad), we use it to encrypt your data on the iPad and it is not just for locking the app itself.

On the iPhone, the 4-digit PIN is used to lock the app itself and to encrypt low security level items but everything else is encrypted with the master password. We do not use any 4-digit PIN protection on the iPad, we might do this in the future.

You can also have different master passwords for each specific 1Password app and we don't always sync the master password between devices.

As for the question regarding to the unlocking attempts, we do not have any limits to how many times you can try again or use data wipe after a certain number. We use a deterrent method instead, we insert a time delay after a certain number of incorrect attempts. If you type the password incorrectly 5-10 times, you have to wait one minute before trying again and if you type it in wrong again, the timer will go up. We had a customer who was pranked with this and he had it set to years before he can try again.
  • Hello. I am having a different problem here: I DID NOT forget the master password for the iPad App, I don not have it on my Mac, and yesterday, after one successful log in, and after the iPad went into sleep mode, as usual I had to re-type the 1password unlock password again... but it was not working anymore! Any help you can provide?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011
    Welcome to the forums, promao. I'm sorry that you are having trouble here. If 1Password is not accepting what you believe to be the master password, you will need to follow the steps above.

Some things you might try before resorting to that:
    • Toggle CAPS lock
    • Restart your iOS device

1Password will unlock if and only if the correct master password is entered. If it is not unlocking, the correct master password has not been entered.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but I do hope you have a backup from which you can restore (as described in my post above) if necessary. Sometimes it helps just to wait a day and come back to it, not on a technical level, but just in case you misremembered the password or were accidentally mistyping it.
  • Thanks for your help. I had already tried the steps above, to no result. The reason that I am sure the password is correct is that 1) I have always been using it daily and 2) I had just used it to unlock some 30 seconds before to check a code... never happened before to me.
  • MikeT wrote:

Hi Arko, welcome to the forums!

The password you created in 1Password for iPad is the master password (specifically for 1Password on the iPad), we use it to encrypt your data on the iPad and it is not just for locking the app itself.

On the iPhone, the 4-digit PIN is used to lock the app itself and to encrypt low security level items but everything else is encrypted with the master password. We do not use any 4-digit PIN protection on the iPad, we might do this in the future.

You can also have different master passwords for each specific 1Password app and we don't always sync the master password between devices.

As for the question regarding to the unlocking attempts, we do not have any limits to how many times you can try again or use data wipe after a certain number. We use a deterrent method instead, we insert a time delay after a certain number of incorrect attempts. If you type the password incorrectly 5-10 times, you have to wait one minute before trying again and if you type it in wrong again, the timer will go up. We had a customer who was pranked with this and he had it set to years before he can try again.

Hi MikeT,

Thank you. It's a lot more clear for me now.

The data on the iPad is then encrypted using the iPad's master password. And the dropbox's data is encrypted using the 1Password for Mac master password. Both can be different. So changing one master password will re-encrypt all data for that device only. Am I right?
  • promao wrote:

Thanks for your help. I had already tried the steps above, to no result. The reason that I am sure the password is correct is that 1) I have always been using it daily and 2) I had just used it to unlock some 30 seconds before to check a code... never happened before to me.

Have you ever used international keyboards?

You may have switched keyboard unintentionally...
  • Arko wrote:

Have you ever used international keyboards?

You may have switched keyboard unintentionally...

I wished it was the case... password is only numbers, so that is not the case...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    At this time, there are no known issues with the master password input on iOS. (This would certainly be a very large problem if that were the case!) You will need to start over and restore from Dropbox or another backup. :S

If you are willing to test things, try using the same password when you reinstall 1Password and see if you have a similar problem. if you have discovered a bug in 1Password, we would really love to know how to reproduce it in order to resolve it. As always, please make sure you are using Dropbox syncing so you don't lose data.

The data on the iPad is then encrypted using the iPad's master password. And the dropbox's data is encrypted using the 1Password for Mac master password. Both can be different.

Your master password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac/Windows and your 1Password iOS app(s). Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password iOS apps because of the interaction using the much smaller virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another.

As with Wi-Fi syncing, 1Password needs to convert back and forth between the data format used on iOS and the data format used by 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows and stored on Dropbox. But unlike with Wi-Fi syncing, all of the components of the conversion, with its decryption and re-encryption, are performed on your device.

When 1Password on your device detects that there is a newer item on Dropbox, it will fetch that encrypted item from the Dropbox server. It will then use the master password for your Mac or PC to decrypt the item, and it will then immediately re-encrypt that for your database on your device. The same thing happens with a change made on your device. 1Password on your device will decrypt the item using your master password for your device and will immediately re-encrypt it for storage on the Dropbox servers. The item with the encrypted data will then be transmitted to Dropbox. Dropbox will never have access to your unencrypted data. In addition to this, all communication between Dropbox and your computers and devices is very well encrypted using SSL. We have a document dedicated to the security of storing your 1Password in the cloud if you were looking for additional information. :-)

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.