browser extension obscures web app email completion dropdown

Options

I enter data into an intranet bug tracker email field (not a login field) numerous times a day. When I start typing, the web app displays its own dropdown with completion suggestions. Before installing the 1Password extension, I used to be able to use the down arrow key to select the entry that I want, then hit tab to fill the field with the suggestion. However, with the 1Password browser extension installed using the down arrow key causes the following:

1. the first entry in the web app suggestion list is highlighted
  2. the 1Password extension generates a dropdown that covers the one generated by the web app.
  3. the email field gets filled with the first web app suggestion
  4. the web app generates a new suggestion list containing only the address that was selected, i.e.: the first suggestion.
  5. If this is the entry I want, great. If not, I have to clear the field and start over.

Because of this I can only use the down arrow to select the first address suggested by the web app.

If I hit the up arrow I can go backward through the suggestion list and hit tab to select the suggestion I want. But, if I overshoot I have to keep going up and loop through the list again because If I try to hit the down arrow the next entry down gets highlighted as in step 1 above and the rest of the steps complete.

Is there a way to get the previous behavior of this web app back? Can I block 1Password from suggesting completions for this field or this site?

This isn't a huge issue because I can still use the keyboard to select entries which is way faster than using the mouse, and less error prone than typing the full address, but I thought I'd report it in case there is a way to get 1Password to stand down. And in case anyone else runs into it and hasn't discovered the up-arrow workaround.

(Apologies if this is a duplicate I didn't see it reported)

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 1.15.2
OS Version: Windows 10 build 17763
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:browser extension obscures web app completion dropdown

Comments

• benrifkah
    benrifkah
    Community Member
    Options

I found a publicly accessible place where you can reproduce this if you have the 1Password extension installed and enabled:

1. Go to the Request Tracker demo website: https://demo.bestpractical.com/
    2. Click login as guest. To see the "RT at a glance" page
    3. Select any ticket listed from either of the "10 highest priority..." or "10 newest..." lists in the main section of the page. To go to the Display Ticket page.
    4. Click the People link in the ticket navigation bar near the top right of the page to go to the Modify People page.
    5. In the "Add new watchers: section focus an "Email" field. The 1Password extension will generate a dropdown below the field. It's contents will vary depending on whether the 1Password extension is unlocked and whether you have previously saved credentials for this site.
    6. Type a common letter into the field and wait. The web app will generate a dropdown with completion suggestions behind the 1Password dropdown.
    7. Type the down arrow. A number of things will happen: 1) The email field will be populated with the address from the top suggestion in the web app dropdown. 2) the rest of the dropdown will disappear. 3) If 1Password is unlocked the top suggestion in the 1Password dropdown will be highlighted.

At this point you can play with the up and down arrows to make the 1Password dropdown disappear and reappear. To get the web app dropdown to reappear you have to clear the email field. To select a specific suggestion without the 1Password dropdown appearing you must use the up arrow.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hey @benrifkah! I appreciate the detailed report. I didn't think of using the up arrow key in this situation, so thanks for pointing that out to everyone who views this thread. :)

I was able to reproduce the same behavior that you've described. Ideally, 1Password X would know the difference between an email field that you want to fill and one you don't (such as this). There have been some instances where 1Password X offers to fill a field erroneously, and we do our best to minimize those.

We've considered adding the ability for 1Password X to avoid offering to fill on a certain domain, and I think it would come in handy right now. We haven't quite decided how that's going to look yet, but it is something that we've thought about. I'll go ahead and get an issue filed for 1Password X erroneously offering to fill an email on a field that's considered unnecessary as well as add your "+1" to be able to, in a way, turn off the inline menu from appearing on a specified domain.

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#566, x/b5x#161

This discussion has been closed.