Unlock multiple vaults at once?

I've been trying 1PasswordX for Chrome and wondering if there are plans to allow unlocking multiple vaults at the same time with the primary account password, like the desktop app does? Its a tedious process to open Settings to go get the link to the other account to open and unlock. I'd imagine there are more users out there with Family and Team memberships?

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 1.15.1
OS Version: OS X 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hey @sswany! We recommend setting the same Master Password for each of your 1Password accounts. Since your accounts are protected by your 128-bit Secret Key, this is an OK thing to do. When your accounts have the same Master Password, they'll all unlock in 1Password X. :smile:

• sswany
    sswany
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Thanks! That did seem to help. Even after setting them the same though, I'm still prompted to manually unlock the 2nd vault. If I go to use 1pX, unlock it with the primary, I'm getting a popup that opens a new tab to unlock the secondary even with the same password. Doesn't seem to happen every time I unlock. Could that be an issue?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sswany – after making a change to your account (such as updating your Master Password), it's required that you sign in to re-authenticate 1Password X. That being said, it shouldn't be asking you to sign in multiple times. Are you experiencing the same thing you reported even after you signed into your second account in the new tab?

• sswany
    sswany
    Community Member

@Kaitlyn , correct. I'm getting prompted here and there to authenticate the 2nd account even though the primary is unlocked and they use the same password. The most recent wasn't even interacting with 1Password, I just received a Chrome notification that I needed to authenticate the 2nd account. The error on the top of the login page listed "Your session ended when you reloaded or closed the page."

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Ah I see. The error you mentioned doesn't necessarily have to do with 1Password X, but it's part of our 1Password web app. You can be signed into 1Password X and not signed into the web app, so they don't necessarily equate. The web app, or https://my.1password.com, only stays signed in while you're visiting the page, but if it's closed or the page is refreshed, you'll be signed out. That shouldn't affect your ability to use 1Password X, though, so I'm curious where the 1Password X popup comes into play.

• kckingc
    kckingc
    Community Member

I'm surprised that password reuse is how you suggest solving this problem. Surely there is a better way.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@kckingc – You bring up a good point, although I don't think of it as "reusing." You're using a single good Master Password for 1Password itself — sort of like how you have the same Master Password for accessing probably hundreds of items in 1Password. Not really reuse, just good security. I agree that we can make the process more intuitive, though. While we recommend this when initially signing up for your 1Password account, it's not mentioned on the 1Password X settings page, and perhaps it should be.

This discussion has been closed.