As a registered user of 1password I find a note on the app window that my account is frozen.why?

Cannot add a new password, nor open a webpage through the application. Only copy and paste the password.
I was a registered user for version 6 and could do all operations smoothly. When I upgraded to V. 7. through App Store," the celebration" ended.
I'd like to be able to use it, even the previous. version without monthly payment. Too much for an old guy like me.
Thanks,
Alex Ringer

1Password Version: 7.26
Extension Version: 7.26
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:As a registered user of 1password I find a note on the app window that my account is frozen.why?

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @alexringer,

I'm sorry for any confusion caused. Licenses are still available for those who are familiar with them and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach to syncing that they offer, but for the vast majority of people a 1Password membership is going to be the best way forward. Membership is a custom tailored solution that was born to solve many of the problems that are inherent in the way standalone licensing works, including addressing the situation of upgrades not being included.

With a membership (subscription) you always have access to the latest versions of all of the 1Password apps for each of your compatible devices. The Pro features for iOS & Android are included, and there is no need to separately purchase licenses for 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. It's all part of the package. Additionally custom built sync is included. To sync a device you simply sign in to your 1Password account in the 1Password app on that device and the rest is automagical. This makes adding a new device or replacing a device incredibly simple. There are a host of other benefits as well, which you can read about here.

Membership is the path we recommend, but if you'd prefer a 1Password 7 for Mac license you can select the option to purchase one by selecting the "need a license? We have those too" link at the bottom of the 1Password 7 welcome screen. If you have a v6 license, and don't want to make any purchasing decision right now, you're welcome to continue using that version. I would only caution you though that should be considered a temporary solution. 1Password 6 is no longer being developed/updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but it is especially important for your operating system, your web browsers, and your password manager.

If you decide to proceed with a 1Password 7 for Mac license you would need to download 1Password from our website, rather than the App Store. The App Store version will only work with a membership.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Thanks Ben for the detailed comment. Before I invest in the new registration program (which is not cheap for an old guy like me), I'd like to be able to operate version 6 which I have paid for and have a license. Lately my iMac hard drive was formatted due to a failure, and external Time Machine hard drive backup crashed. I don't have a copy of version 6 and don't know where to download one. Any knowledge?

• jin_dhaliwaljin_dhaliwal

Team Member

Hello @alexringer,

1Password 6 for MacOS is available on our downloads page under the Legacy Downloads section.

As Ben mentioned, 1Password 6 isn't being supported any longer and will not receive security updates. If you do decide to move to 1Password 7 please let us know and we would be happy to help you get up and running with the new version.

• Thanks Ben for the detailed comment. Before I invest in the new registration program (which is not cheap for an old guy like me), I'd like to be able to operate version 6 which I have paid for and have a license. Lately my iMac hard drive was formatted due to a failure, and external Time Machine hard drive backup crashed. I don't have a copy of version 6 and don't know where to download one. Any knowledge?

• Thanks again for the respond. I have downloaded and installed version 6; located my license file and applied it. Then I found out that the master password I open version 7 doesn't work on version 6! More than that – the account is frozen as written in the prefs window (see attachment). Can you help me with that?
    Thanks,
    Alex

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@alexringer

I'm sorry for the continued confusion. Accounts are a subscription service. You won't be able to use an account without having an active subscription. Please see this guide for instructions on removing the account:

https://support.1password.com/cs/migrate-standalone/

Ben

• edited June 6

I am lost!
    I gave in my trials to revive my 1Password 6 account and make it active/ I am willing to go on 7.
    I have removed completely my 1Password 7 downloaded from AppStore and installed 1Password 7 from your site.
    As a user who had paid for the upgrades up to version 6 including, how much should I pay annually for activating version. 7?
    Where or how I can perform the purchase and how can I remove the [Account Frozen] note from the application on my Mac?
    As for now, I can only see the passwords but adding new passes is not allowed, neither to open and launch sites from 1Password
    Please, advise ASAP.
    Thanks,
    Alex
    P'.s. trying to sign in to my account always fails. Once it showed a red note [private information removed by moderator; this is a public forum]
    I am confused. My master password is known to me and opens the application, so I don't know what to do.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited June 6

@alexringer

Let's take one problem at a time, shall we? The problem signing in appears to be because you're entering your sign-in address incorrectly. The sign-in address is https://my.1password.com, not https://AlexRinger.1password.com.

If you enter the sign-in address that way are you able to sign in?

Ben

• edited June 6

It doesn't work
    [private information removed; this is a public forum]

• edited June 6

I see that my screenshots via ScreenCast were previously removed by the system. I'll add the screenshot here

[private information removed; this is a public forum]

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@alexringer

This is a public forum. Anyone can read what is posted here. It isn't wise to post details like your Secret Key or email address here. So that we can more privately discuss the details can you please email us from the address associated with your account to [email protected].com? Please include this link in your email:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/104065/as-a-registered-user-of-1password-i-find-a-note-on-the-app-window-that-my-account-is-frozen-why#latest

When you email in you'll get a support ID back. Please post that ID here.

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi Ben,
    I have to take a break and will get back to you a bit later. Thanks

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

:+1:

Ben

• Hello Ben,
    I have entered the URL: [email protected] and got this:

Now, I entered the first choice but where shall I go from here?

Regards,
    Alex

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @alexringer :)

I have entered the URL: [email protected] and got this:

That's not a URL, it's an email address. I think Ben meant to say that you can send us an email to the email address [email protected]

Together with your message, you can post the URL of this discussion in your email so it makes it easier for us to connect the dots:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/104065/as-a-registered-user-of-1password-i-find-a-note-on-the-app-window-that-my-account-is-frozen-why#latest

Please let us know if you have any questions!

• I see and send him an email through this email address.
    Thanks a lot,
    Ale

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@alexringer, you are very welcome! We have received your email, thank you :) We will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

ref: #HSA-77752-929

• This part of the service – the personal attach – us the most friendly and I am grateful for it.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Thank you for the kind words @alexringer! It's always a pleasure to help :)

• Hi,

Forgive me in advance for my bad English, I'm French ... I would like to understand what happens with the updates of your application.

About 3 years ago (maybe 2), I bought your app on the App Store for about 70 euros. I have always updated the application as it was recommended.

The problem is that now I am part of people who have a frozen account. Now, to use as before the application I have to subscribe. Hence my question, what became these 70 euros? What benefit did I gain by paying this amount compared to new users?

You say that it is recommended to use the new versions (with subscription) to benefit from an optimal security (I understand, I am web developer). But suddenly, do you not see in all this some programmed obsolescence?

Thank you for your answers.

Benjamin

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @deciben! Welcome to the forum!

Hence my question, what became these 70 euros? What benefit did I gain by paying this amount compared to new users?

The license you purchased is still valid if you want to continue using it, but as it is usually the case with software licenses, you can continue using the version you paid for. You can do this for as long as you would like, and upgrading is not mandatory.

What benefit did I gain by paying this amount compared to new users?

By using the app for the last three years, I hope you have seen the improvements in your password management methods and overall security posture, which made it worth purchasing the app and using it for so long already :)

But suddenly, do you not see in all this some programmed obsolescence?

I don't think it's programmed obsolescence, but rather constant updates. When a new version of macOS comes out, we always try to implement the new features offered by Apple, including the new security features. Therefore as you correctly said, because 1Password is security software, we recommend always using the latest version if possible, to have the most secure app as possible.

• Hi @ag_ana,

Thank you for your detailed answers !

But there is one point that I can not understand ... You say that I did not have to take a subscription and that I can use my application as before. But then, why is my count frozen? Why since setting up subscriptions I can not save and / or edit my old passwords ?

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@deciben - your account will be frozen if you signed up for it at some point, but chose not to add a credit card for payment. There is a 30-day free trial of 1password.com accounts, but if you elect not to continue by adding your credit card for payment before the end of the 30 days free trial, your account enters Frozen status, which means you cannot add to, edit or delete any of your data, and you can't use the browser extension(s). You can still unlock your data with your Master Password, and you can export it if you wish (your data is yours; we don't hold it hostage for payment or anything else).

If you'd like to reactivate it, all you need to do is sign into your 1Password account in a browser, then click the "Billing" tab in the right sidebar and enter your payment details. That's it! :)

• Hi @Lars,

Thank you for your answers. From what I understand it is necessary that I go through a subscription to be able to continue to create new passwords (editing and copy / paste is unfortunately not enough I hope you understand me on this point).

To summarize :

• How to use my application as before? Do I have to go through an older version?

• How to remove the freeze from my account without going through a subscription?

I remind you that when I bought the application I could create my passwords easily. Now it is not possible anymore. Why have impacted my use following the sudden introduction of a subscription?

Finally, how do you explain that I went from a paid version of my application to a trial version of 30 days?

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@deciben:

How to use my application as before? Do I have to go through an older version?

Yes, you need to download and use the old version you purchased.

Alternatively, you can also purchase a license upgrade to use 1Password 7 (the latest version) without a subscription.

How to remove the freeze from my account without going through a subscription?

Do you want to completely delete this frozen account? Before you do that, is there any data you might need that is currently stored inside this account, which you might want to export?

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member
    edited July 2

@deciben

How to remove the freeze from my account without going through a subscription?

I remind you that when I bought the application I could create my passwords easily. Now it is not possible anymore. Why have impacted my use following the sudden introduction of a subscription?

I wanted to make sure to address this point specifically because I don't think we're making ourselves clear on this point: your 1password.com account is frozen because you created one and moved your data into it from your existing standalone vaults. You cannot "unfreeze the account without going through a subscription," because a 1password.com account IS subscription based. If you want to continue using 1Password without paying anything more, you'll need to:

• export or move any data in the 1password.com account vaults back into standalone vaults that are not part of the account
    • remove the account from 1Password for Mac (and any other devices onto which you added it)
    • purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac OR re-download and install the most-recent version for which you have a paid license (probably 1Password 6 for Mac).

Hope that's helpful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file