Chrome extension broken after update to 7.3

2»

Comments

• dlettvin
    dlettvin
    Community Member

I use Chrome and both it and the MacOS are up to date. My problem is minor. Sporadically, the Chrome extension does not work. It tells me I need the desktop program installed, but it already is. In order to make it work I turn the extension off, in the extension manager then turn it back on and all is well for a few days. Then it happens again. It's not a big deal, just an annoyance but I thought folks should know.

• @dlettvin

Have you restarted the Mac since this problem began?

Ben

• dlettvin
    dlettvin
    Community Member

Yes. That was my first instinct. IIRC the reboot didn't fix the link, only switching the extension off and back on. BTW when this happens the desktop program still works fine but opening it doesn't cure the problem only the above method seems to work. As I said it's a minor annoyance.
    1P Extension v 4.7.4.90
    1P v 7.3
    Chrome v 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    MacOS v 10.14.5

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the details! It's something we're looking into.

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member

FWIW I have experienced the same issue where the App Extension in Chrome is not recognized. Disabling the extension and re-enabling it solved the issue for me so far. I did not reboot the computer and I have not restarted Chrome since doing this step. I have quit 1Password and put the computer to sleep overnight and so far it is still working as expected.
    1P Extension v 4.7.4.90
    1P v 7.3
    Chrome v 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    MacOS v 10.14.5

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@iceout - thanks for the feedback; this mirrors the experience some other users are having. As brenty said, we're looking into it. :)

• lanierb
    lanierb
    Community Member

Chrome update broke 1passwordx for me as well. I'm on Windows 10 though. The 1password extension works fine. 1passwordx stalls when I try to login. Tried removing and reinstalling the extension and also removing/reinstalling Chrome and also rebooting PC.

• Pass
    Pass
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

I've same problem here after 7.3 update. Where can I install latest build of 7.2 version of 1Password Desktop app?

Edit: I found the link: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7
    The topic started in May 30 and the 1Password team still can not resolve the issue with an update? I'm little bit disappointed right now. After the ending period of my subscription, I will review of the going on with 1Password and I'll try the alternatives.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@socceric In another thread I have suggested to send us a diagnostic report so we can take a closer look. Please do that when you have a chance and we will be happy to help. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Pass: I don't believe you mentioned it yet, but just for completeness: did you try the troubleshooting steps suggested in the thread already, before going back to version 7.2?

I also wanted to assure you that the team is indeed looking at this, so thank you for your patience so far, and I am happy that you have found a workaround that works for you already.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Pass: I haven't encountered any cases where it was "broken" completely and indefinitely with version 7.3. It's just a matter of restarting usually, or resetting something if necessary. Happy to help if you update and run into an issue. Just let me know the specifics, since you didn't include any details in your one post here. :)

• benwhite
    benwhite
    Community Member

Is there any progress on this matter? The chrome extension is still broken. Filling in passwords in my chrome browser is the main use case for me using 1Password. And now it doesn't work for ... 3 weeks already?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @benwhite! Welcome to the forum!

As brenty wrote above, have you tried restarting the browser already when this happens? We are looking into this, but we are not aware of cases where the issue persists indefinitely.

• frankly
    frankly
    Community Member

I am having the same problem.
    1Password 7
    Version 7.3 (70300020)
    1Password Store
    Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password extension 4.7.4.90

I restarted my Mac and it was still not working. For some reason it acts as if it is not installed.

Then when I went to post this, it suddenly started working when I needed to sign into the forum. Perhaps it knew you were watching.

Frustrating user experience. Glad it is working now and glad you are working on a permanent fix.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@frankly:

Perhaps it knew you were watching.

Ahah yes!

Should this happen again, please also send us a diagnostic report from your Mac while the issue is still there so we can take a closer look, and make sure that this is indeed the same issue.

• JCL324
    JCL324
    Community Member

Every. Time. I get an automatic update from the Mac App Store and Chrome is such a pain to update. Why on earth do you have to UNINSTALL the extension first and then reinstall. Now with today's update, Chrome won't work at all. I migrated over from LastPass because of their buggy browser extensions and thought you guys would be better. Stop breaking things! And please, please regression test these things before releasing! If you can get Firefox to be painless, why not Chrome??

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Every. Time. I get an automatic update from the Mac App Store and Chrome is such a pain to update.

@JCL324: Certainly for people who want to keep their browser open indefinitely, Chrome's requirement that it be restarted can be inconvenient. I'm not sure what you mean about the Mac App Store though. But neither are germane to this discussion. We don't control the update process for either of those. If you are using 1Password 7, you could switch to the website version instead if you prefer its update mechanism: https://1password.com/downloads/

Why on earth do you have to UNINSTALL the extension first and then reinstall.

In 99% of cases, you don't No one has even suggested that here, and we only would in very specific instances, as otherwise it will make no difference.

Now with today's update, Chrome won't work at all. I migrated over from LastPass because of their buggy browser extensions and thought you guys would be better. Stop breaking things! And please, please regression test these things before releasing! If you can get Firefox to be painless, why not Chrome??

They're completely different browsers from different vendors which handle extensions differently. At this point, I'm not even sure what symptoms you're experiencing. Restarting your Mac can help, and if you'll let us know the specifics there may be something else we can suggest.

This discussion has been closed.