Problem with Chrome

This discussion was created from comments split from: Chrome extension broken after update to 7.3.

Comments

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

Well, obviously I'm not the only one...

Same issue. As soon as I updated 1P to 7.3 I get the dreaded "Install 1Password extension..." when I click the 1P icon in the menu bar. Rebooting my iMac did absolutely nothing. I am NOT running both 1PX and the "standard" 1P extension in Chrome. Both are installed, but the older extension (4.7.90) is disabled.

On the offhand chance that the mere presence of both extensions (even though one is disabled) is causing 1P to hiccup, I removed the 4.7.90 extension entirely, leaving only 1PX (1.15.2) installed. Nada. Even after rebooting my iMac again did not cure the problem.

Something has obviously changed here...hope you can find a solution!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@camner: If you don't have the 1Password desktop extension installed and enabled in your browser, the app cannot communicate with it and suggests installing it so that it can (since you're invoking 1Password in that context anyway). We recommend using only one or the other: 1Password X or the 1Password desktop app/extension combo. But you're welcome to try beta integration between the desktop app and 1Password X if you prefer the latter. :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

I obviously didn't express myself clearly. I DO HAVE THE 1PASSWORD EXTENSION INSTALLED AND ENABLED IN MY BROWSER! (And have had it "installed and enabled" for a long time. Immediately after the update to 1P 7.3, I started getting the message that I need to install the extension. If I click on the link "Add 1Password to Google Chrome" I get taken a web page that offers me the option of REMOVING (not installing) the 1P extension (which suggests I already have it installed, no?).

FWIW, this is happening on both my iMac and my MacBook. In both cases it was immediately after the upgrade to 7.3 that this started happening. Correlation doesn't imply causation, I know, but the fact that the same happened on two different Macs immediately after 7.3 installed itself suggests that in this case, causation is more probable than not, I think.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

OK...more info

The issue seems to be related (at least in my case) to 1PX. When I completely removed 1PX, rebooted, and installed the "standard" 1P extension into Chrome, 1P mini opened from the Mac menubar, as is expected.

I then removed 1P standard, rebooted, and reinstalled 1PX. Back to the dreaded prompt to install the extension when I tried to invoke 1P from the Mac menu bar.

Interestingly, and I'm not sure what this means, is that when I opened 1PX for the first time after the reboot + reinstall, I got the following:

This prompts me to "Update" 1P(X?). I click on Update, get to this page: https://support.1password.com/explore/whats-new-1password-x/, and if I click at the bottom to install 1PX for Chrome, I'm back to the page offering to REMOVE 1PX from Chrome.

This may or may not be related, but if I open 1PX from the Chrome toolbar and click on the gear, I get taken to this, of course:

When I click on the gear here, nothing happens. The Settings do not open up.

Something doesn't seem to be working right with 1PX and 1P 7.3.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@camner - thanks for the additional information and screenshots. I'm a little confused, however, since this is expected behavior; it's not new to the 7.3 update for 1Password for Mac. If you have 1Password for Mac installed but in your browser you have either no 1Password extension OR 1Password X, then if your front-most (active) app is that browser when you try to invoke 1Password via either keyboard command or via the icon in your Mac's menubar, you're going to get a prompt to install the ("desktop app required") extension...because it won't work without it. That's why, when you installed the 4.7.4.90 version of the "desktop app required" extension, it worked for you, and when you RE-installed 1Password X, it didn't.

If you have a 1password.com account and NO standalone vaults, then you certainly can use 1Password X in Chrome and/or Firefox (though not in Safari if that's a consideration)...but you can't use Go & Fill from with 1Password for Mac to fill via 1Password X like you can with the "desktop app required" extension, because 1Password X communicates directly with the 1password.com servers, not any local app.

What you're asking for - desktop app integration - is indeed available, but only in Beta -- you can read more about it in this thread. Let us know if you have questions. If you're not ready or willing to install the betas, however, this problem isn't a bug, it's the way things work (at least for now), and if you want to be able to use the keyboard shortcuts for filling or Go & Fill from the main 1Password for Mac app, you will need to do what you found worked successfully in your earlier post/experimenting: uninstall 1Password X and install the "desktop app required" version of our 1Password extension (4.7.4.90). Hope this helps! :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@Lars: Thanks for your clarification. Now I’m the one that’s confused. I swear I have NEVER gotten the prompt to install the 1P extension, and I’ve been using 1PX (in Chrome) for nearly a year now. And, I find it hard to believe that I’ve never tried to invoke 1P from the menu bar while in Chrome in all that time. But, if you say that’s the way 1P has worked (and continues to do so), then I’m in no position to argue.

I do appreciate the time you took to respond thoroughly.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@Lars: One followup...you didn’t address the phenomenon of clicking on the settings gear and not having anything happen. That’s reproducible post computer reboot, for me. (I assume this isn’t expected behavior....)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@camner: can you please let us know what version of Chrome you are currently using? I don't believe you have mentioned it yet, so I would like to test it here and see if I can reproduce the issue.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@ag_ana: My version of Chrome is 75.0.3770.80. Just updated, and it didn't solve the problem. Clicking on the gear (in my screenshot above, after clicking on the first gear when 1PX first opens) does nothing. 1PX version 1.15.2. 1P version 7.3. MacOS 10.14.5.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@camner: Can you clarify what you're trying to do? We've been talking to you in the multiple places you've been posting, and frankly I'm not sure what's going at at this point. :)

Your screenshots posted above are not at all related to 1Password for Mac version 7.3; that's 1Password X. So I've split you off into a separate discussion. As I mentioned previously, you should use either 1Password for Mac and its desktop extension or 1Password X, which is designed to be used on its own in the browser. Let me know how you'd like to proceed and what you need help with, and we'll go from there. :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@brenty: Yes, we do seem to be talking at cross purposes, and for my part in the confusion, I apologize.

Let be (try to) be clear about my setup: With Chrome I only use the 1Password X extension. The other Chrome extension (I’m not sure how that is referred to by you folks at Agile other than “the browser extension”) is not installed.

It is in 1PX that my screenshots were taken, trying to show at what stage I was when clicking on the Settings gear did nothing. This is repeatable and survives rebooting the machine. In 1PX at the state shown in the 2nd (and larger) screenshot, I cannot access Settings.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@camner: Thanks for clarifying! And hey, as long as we're both patient, I'm sure we'll get there. Thanks for bearing with me while I try to get a better sense of what needs to be done. :)

Regarding viewing 1Password X Settings, this just opens the following URL in Chrome:

chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/app/app.html#/page/settings

Are you maybe clicking the "gear" and not "Settings"?

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

I am absolutely clicking the gear and not Settings! Perhaps you can point to me to page 178, paragraph 12e(2) of the Apple UI guidelines that says that clicking on the word rather than the gear is exactly what Apple thinks should happen, but I have been trained by experience over the years to think of the gear as the “button” and the words as the “heading,” to the point that it never occurred to me to try clicking on the word “Settings.”

I’m rather embarrassed by all this, but at least I know how to do it (whether I’ll remember it well the next time I need Settings in 1PX remains to be seen, however...)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@camner: I cannot! Honestly, I have no idea why the "gear" icon is not clickable, and I've brought that up with the team to be changed. I thought that might be what was tripping you up, but just wasn't 100% sure without asking. Thanks for confirming! I don't see any good reason that it shouldn't be. Sorry about that! Totally not your fault: I only happened to notice myself because I did the same thing, if that gives you some consolation. :lol:

ref: x/b5x#1289

• meteor71
    meteor71
    Community Member

I am also having issues with 1Password for Mac 7.3 (Mac App Store) and the new Google Chrome 75.0.3770.80. When I click on the 1Password extension icon (within Chrome), nothing happens. My User ID and password information is not transferred from 1Password to Chrome (to the web site I'm trying to log into). As I just upgraded my version of Chrome and because the extension worked fine before that upgrade, I believe the problem lies there (i.e., the Chrome upgrade broke the extension). I checked my Chrome extension for 1Password to see if there is a later version and there is not. So I am using the latest version of Chrome and the latest version of 1Password for Mac and its Chrome extension, but they are no longer communicating as they did before the Chrome upgrade.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@meteor71: When the browser has a pending update, that breaks the extension since it invalidates its own code signature. Restarting the browser after completing all updates should do the trick. Otherwise restarting the computer can help. Let me know how it goes!

• meteor71
    meteor71
    Community Member

I restarted the computer and my problem seems to have gone away. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@meteor71 - on behalf of brenty, you're quite welcome! Glad he was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.