Basic question about machine/device passwords

ron1701
ron1701
Community Member

I am considering purchasing 1password or another password manager. its my understanding that 1password can manage application, site and even iCloud passwords, but it cannot manage the machine/device password. Is this correct ? If so, if the machine/device is stolen and the machine/device password is compromised , will the thief have access to all the passwords stored by 1password and access to all the sites protected by 1password ?

Also, I want to confirm that 1password works on all the following platforms : MacOS El Capitan and later, Windows 10, Red Hat and Ubuntu Linux, iOS, WatchOS and AppleTV. For the Linux's, is a particular desktop manager required ? ( Yes, I really use all of these ! )

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ron1701! Welcome to the forum!

but it cannot manage the machine/device password. Is this correct ?

Can you please elaborate a little bit on what you mean by "manage"? 1Password can store every password, but if you are asking if it's able to automatically fill your OS password on a device, then it technically cannot do it. This is because you need to first login to your user account on a device before you are able to use any application, 1Password included. At that specific point of the login process, 1Password is still not running.

You can however certainly look up your user/devices password on another device where you are using 1Password, for example a mobile device.

If so, if the machine/device is stolen and the machine/device password is compromised , will the thief have access to all the passwords stored by 1password and access to all the sites protected by 1password ?

No, a thief would not automatically have access to your 1Password data if your device is stolen. This is because your 1Password data is protected by a Master Password (that's why we recommend only using this password as your Master Password, and not anywhere else, including as your device password). Your 1Password data is encrypted separately from the contents of your computer, so being able to access your computer does not automatically mean that you are able to access your 1Password data.

Also, I want to confirm that 1password works on all the following platforms : MacOS El Capitan and later, Windows 10, Red Hat and Ubuntu Linux, iOS, WatchOS and AppleTV. For the Linux's, is a particular desktop manager required ? ( Yes, I really use all of these ! )

You can use desktop/mobile apps for 1Password on macOS, Windows, iOS, Android and WatchOS. We do not have an Apple TV app, and you can use 1Password X on any Linux distribution in Chrome and Firefox (this is our special browser extension which does not require a desktop app to work).

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.