iPhones in Sync. Mac not.

jbhaber
jbhaber
Community Member

This forum is full of great advice and support, but I can't seem to find my situation. So, I'd be grateful for some help.

My wife's and my iPhones are in sync. 1P is using Dropbox to sync. However, 1P on my Mac is not syncing. None of the most recent entries from iPhones are showing up.

Based on the many threads I've seen on this topic, I think this info might be useful.
I do have a paid family plan.
I initially started many years ago as an individual user.
On Mac, 1P7 is installed and the Chrome helper (showing the key icon)

1Password Version: Mac: 7.3, iOS: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iPhone: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jbhaber: If you're using Dropbox to sync between the iPhones, you just need to setup the Mac to sync with the same vault you're using on those. This guide can help you check your configuration:

If you’re having trouble syncing with Dropbox

But if you'd like an easier way, you can securely share vaults using a 1Password Families membership...and there's no sync configuration involved: each person just signs into their account on each device to get to the data in any vaults they have access to. That also includes all the apps for each person. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jbhaber
    jbhaber
    Community Member

@brenty ... Thanks for the help. I do have a family membership. Should I be turning off Dropbox syncing on the iPhones?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jbhaber: Dropbox (or local vaults, whether sync'd or not) isn't at all involved with a 1Password membership. Do you have all of your data in your 1Password account? You can check this by signing into the website in your browser:

https://start.1password.com

Once you have all of your data in your account, you can remove the old vault and just sign into your account in the app on your devices to access your data.

• jbhaber
    jbhaber
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

@brenty ... I'm not sure how it can be stated that Dropbox isn't at all involved as Dropbox is an option for sycing on the iPhone. Doesn't that make it involved? (I'm not trying to be snarky ... just wondering).

You ask, "Do you have all of your data in your 1Password account? " Not all of my data is on my Mac. But all of my data (including recent entries) is on my iPhone.

I think the problem started when I upgraded from individual to Teams/Family many years ago.

You state "once you have all your data in your account ..." How do I get all the data from the iPhone into the Mac? Should I disable sync on my iPhone?

• Sorry for the continued confusion @jbhaber. Dropbox will only be an option if you have a non-membership vault on the device, which should not be the case when you have a membership. It sounds like the changes you're making on the iPhone are being saved in the "Primary" vault which is a standalone (non-membership) vault. Please move any items that are in the Primary vault that you do not see on your Mac to the "Personal" (or "Private") vault. Once they are in the Personal vault they should appear on https://start.1password.com/ and on the Mac. Once they do you can then delete the Primary vault from each device:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Ben

• jbhaber
    jbhaber
    Community Member

@Ben Ah Ha! Now I understand. The Primary vault is only for standalone, non-membership records. Once a Team/Family membership is purchased, then the user will need to move the entries to one of the shared vaults.

Thanks so much for your help.

I think the link about setting up accounts is very helpful. I hadn't seen that before. Finally, a light-bulb moment!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Exactly. Glad that helped! We're here if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.