How good should the passcode be for an iPad?

Options
patrickj
patrickj
Community Member
edited March 2019 in iOS

I have an iPad Pro 2 and an account with 1Password.

I've been thinking about how strong the passcode should be for the iPad. Originally I'd thought it doesn't need to be very strong because there is nothing very important on the iPad except 1Password and 1Password needs Touch ID to open it. However I've discovered that with the passcode you can enrol a new finger for the Touch ID, so now 1Password can be easily accessed by that new finger (the finger of an evil criminal!).

So now I'm thinking I need a very much better passcode than the 8 random letters I use at present. Do I need something as strong as the 16 digit random string of letters, numbers and symbols that I have on my encrypted Mac Mini?

I'm wondering what people think is realistic and secure enough for the iPad Pro?

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 12.1.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

If you enable data deletion on the 10th try in the security settings of your iPad and also have enabled the setting for restricting access via USB set, then someone stealing your device would have only ten tries to guess your Password. I think for that scenario an 8-Letter passcode is more than enough but this is very dependant on how likely it is for you to be targeted directly by an attacker.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @patrickj!

Peacekeeper is right, this really depends on how likely you think an event such as this would be.

However I've discovered that with the passcode you can enrol a new finger for the Touch ID, so now 1Password can be easily accessed by that new finger (the finger of an evil criminal!).

After you enroll a new finger, 1Password should prompt you for your Master Password the very first time you launch the app after this. So even if someone had access to both your PIN code and your device, 1Password would still be protected by something else entirely.

I hope this helps! :)

• patrickj
    patrickj
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

Thank you @peacekeeper and @ag_ana.

It took me a long while to get back but I had read and understood your posts in March since then I've had the iPad Pro 2 with a relatively easy to remember passcode for me and it is set up as @peacekeeper has described.

I am grateful to @ag_ana for pointing out that 1Password does ask for Master Password after enrolling a new finger. That is a very good security feature. There is nothing on my iPad that I'd worry about except someone accessing 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @patrickj! I am glad we were able to help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.