Go & Fill not working in Chrome

This discussion was created from comments split from: Many Problems in mini with recent update -.

Comments

• uwes
    uwes
    Community Member

Wondering if there is a special trick to motivate mini to work properly with Chrome. When I open mini, select a page I want to login and tell mini to open the page and fill in all information it does nothing. Doing the same with firefox it works as expected also when I open the 1Password App on my Mac. Need to say that this works very well before the last upgrade.
    Any ideas?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @uwes! I'm sorry for the trouble. I've split your comments off into their own thread; hope you don't mind. We try to keep threads focused on a single topic as much as possible or it can get confusing for everyone involved (including us, sometimes! :) ).

Can you tell us:

1. What specific version of macOS you're using
    2. What specific version of 1Password you have installed
    3. What specific version of 1Password extension you have installed in Chrome
    4. What specific version of Chrome you're using
    5. Anything else you think might be relevant to the situation.

My off-the-cuff guess is that you may have installed 1Password X instead of the usual "desktop app required" version of 1Password extension in Chrome; you can check this in chrome://extensions. Let me know!

• uwes
    uwes
    Community Member

@Lars I don't mind Lars, best thing you could do to keep the things clear.
    Here are the information that you asked for:
    1. mcOS Mojave Version 10.14.5
    2. Version 7.3 (70300020)
    3. Version 4.7.4.90
    4. Version 75.0.3770.80 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit)
    5. just tested it again: the described behavior takes place when I have already opened an empty tab in chrome and want to use mini 1password to open in this empty browser tab one of my pages to login; if I open mini, select the login that I want with a different browser tab open it works as expected, means new tab is opened and stored information (username, password) are filled in
    6. it is different as before and different to firefox

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional information @uwes. Just to make sure I understand, is the problem that 1Password Mini does not open a new browser tab, and that it only works if you have an already empty tab open?

• uwes
    uwes
    Community Member

@ag_ana sorry for beeing a bit unclear. It is the other way around. Mini does not work when I have an already empty tab open. In this case nothing happens when selecting a login information. To make it work, I need to copy and paste the URL in the browser, browser opens the page, page asks for login credentials. At this stage I can tell mini to fill in the missing credentials.

Using Firefox instead of Chrome, it works like expected also with an already empty tab opened. mini will (after clicking "Los") open the URL and fills in the credentials.
    Firefox version: 67.0.1
    1Password Extension: 4.7.4.90
    MacOS: Mojave Version 10.14.5

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for clarifying @uwes! I tested this in Chrome and I was able to get Mini to open and fill a page here, when I had an empty tab open.

You might have probably tried this already, but can I ask you to quit and reopen Chrome once and see if that helps?

• uwes
    uwes
    Community Member

@ag_ana I tested it without success, even after closing Chrome and restart it again. Behavior is the same:
    dosen't work when I have an empty tab open.

Any further ideas?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@uwes: Perhaps a diagnostic report would be useful. I am not sure it is going to offer any hint as to why this is happening to you, but I think it might be worth a try. Therefore, can you please generate a diagnostic report from your Mac and send it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• uwes
    uwes
    Community Member

@ag_ana report is generated and send to support. here ist the support ID:

[#VCW-82381-925]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@uwes, thank you for the update :)

We have received your email and we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.
    Thank you for your patience!

ref: #VCW-82381-925

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@uwes - thanks -- before we continue on any sort of deeper dive via email, can you try one simpler thing for us? Please restart your Mac; your diagnostics report shows it's been a while since this was done. Let us know if the problem persists after you do that.

• uwes
    uwes
    Community Member

@Lars will do that in the evening, let you know latest tomorrow what the result looks like

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@uwes - :) :+1:

• uwes
    uwes
    Community Member

Good morning to you. I have done the test, reboot my Mac, behavior has not changed.
    If I have an empty tab open and I have the empty tab selected (seen a blank browser page) 1Password mini does nothing when selecting a page to login.
    If I change my selection to a non empty page (even when one tab still hold an empty page) it works as expected; mini opens the selected page and fills in the stored credentials
    For the moment I know the workaround, need to concentrate when using mini with Chrome.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@uwes - I'm glad you have a workaround that isn't too cumbersome for you, but I'd like to figure out why you're experiencing a behavior that I can't seem to replicate here using the exact same versions of both 1Password 7 for Mac and Chrome (and macOS, but I suspect that's not relevant to this). I'd be curious to see a short screencast to see exactly what you're doing, and in what order, to see if maybe our specific processes are different? If you do one, put it somewhere like your own Dropbox account and just give a link here -- and make sure it does not include any identifying information in it.

• uwes
    uwes
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

@Lars I have tried to record it, should be here in Dropbox
    [removed]
    As usual strange things happens when you demonstrate it.
    You will see that the first try to open a page with mini when I have already open an empty tab it (surprise) works.
    All other attempts after this one shot doesn't.
    Don't know what happens, was the first time after the upgrade it works in this way.

Let me know if you could get access to the screencast.

• Thanks @uwes. I've added a link to the video to your case. I can indeed see the problem you're describing in the video. I believe we've got some changes coming in an update that should resolve this, but please keep an eye on it and let us know if the problem persists after the v7.3.1 update.

Ben

• uwes
    uwes
    Community Member

@Ben Hi Ben, thanks for the update, will keep it on my "watchlist" and let you know.

fingers crossed
    uwe

• :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.