Suggested/preferred method of keeping images of credit cards, passports etc with data?

limekiln
limekiln
Community Member

I like to take images of front/back/etc of all credit cards, passports, membership cards etc so I have a complete record in case of loss or I need to see all info/present to someone without carrying all the hardcopy cards.

I then 'attach' each image in associated 1password record. It can be a tedious process to (1) take photos with iPhone, (2) email them to myself so I can access them , (3) save as attachment accessible to applicable record within 1password on MacBook Pro.

Currently using 1password 7.3 (version 70300020), family under macOS Mojave 10.14.5, and IOS versions.

Curious to see if I've missed the boat on an easier way to do this......or is this the price I must pay to be so data retentive.....

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5
Sync Type: Family account sync

Comments

• ag_diego
    ag_diego
    1Password Alumni

Hi @limekiln!

Instead of doing step (2) and (3) I would directly store the photo taken with your iPhone as a related item, using 1Password in iOS. In order to do that, you have to edit an item (a credit card, for instance) and in the bottom you will find a "Related Items" section, where you can "Add New File", which will let you pick a photo (a front and back picture, for example).

Diego

• limekiln
    limekiln
    Community Member

Thank you. Suspected there had to be an easier way.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Diego, you are welcome @limekiln!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• xmarc999
    xmarc999
    Community Member

I'd like to ask a variant of the above question. On my Mac, I set up a folder to hold "sensitive" images, such as my driver's license and passport. I can connect to the image from the relevant 1P item. In other words, I have a 1P item set up for each sensitive document so I can easily copy data as needed, but I would also like to have an image in the event I lose the document (particularly helpful if one loses their passport in a foreign country.). How can I protect those images from access, that is, from an unauthorized user/hacker directly accessing the folder? If I use FileVault, can 1P still access the image?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @xmarc999!

If I use FileVault, can 1P still access the image?

Yes, because FileVault encrypts your hard drive, but the hard drive will be unencrypted while you use it.

How can I protect those images from access, that is, from an unauthorized user/hacker directly accessing the folder?

Can you please clarify what scenario you have in mind here? If someone has access to that folder, it means that they have access to your computer in general already, so the damage is done at that point. Are you asking how to protect a specific folder even if an attacker managed to hack into your device?

• xmarc999
    xmarc999
    Community Member

Can you please clarify what scenario you have in mind here? If someone has access to that folder, it means that they have access to your computer in general already, so the damage is done at that point. Are you asking how to protect a specific folder even if an attacker managed to hack into your device?
    ** Basically yes. After all, 1P protects all my userids and passwords, even if my Mac gets compromised. Similarly, I use to use Knox to store files such as scans of my passport, driver's id, etc. I have a good lock on my front door, but I also put important folders in a locked cabinet. Layers of security…

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@xmarc999:

** Basically yes. After all, 1P protects all my userids and passwords, even if my Mac gets compromised. Similarly, I use to use Knox to store files such as scans of my passport, driver's id, etc. I have a good lock on my front door, but I also put important folders in a locked cabinet. Layers of security…

Thank you for the clarification! 1Password is an app that protects your accounts rather than your hard drive, so you have two options to protect an external folder:

1. You can either put these items just inside 1Password, and remove the original folder, so even the images will be protected by 1Password's encryption
    2. You can use a separate program, such as Knox, to separately encrypt and password protect folders on your hard drive
  • xmarc999
    xmarc999
    Community Member

So when I add a file to a 1P item, it actually copies the file into 1P and I can then delete the original? Just to be clear.

• Correct. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.