1Password 6 Updater offers update to 7

Options
telephoneman
telephoneman
Community Member

Hi guys, my father has on its Mac a 1Password 6 version with a 6 license key installed. But the auto updater offers to go to version 7 which is not licensed. Why is it doing that - actually it looks like a standard harmless update but would lead to a out of order 1Password without a new license key. (The computer is rare used, so its not worth to buy a new licence here - or do you have special offer for 1PW 6 customers purchase new 7 key)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @telephoneman!

Is it possible that your father also has a 1Password Membership account added to the 1Password 6 app? If a license has been added to this app, but there is also a 1Password account added under 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab, this would explain why the app is offering to upgrade to 1Password 7.

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    Options

Well mine is a membership, dad is using none membership. That’s probably the reason ...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@telephoneman: So to make sure I understand, if you go to 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab on your father's computer, do you see your Membership listed there?

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Well there is multiple local computer accounts on this PC. On my local computer account I am using 1Password with your 1PW cloud and under fathers computer account is no 1PW Cloud - he is using iCloud sync. After your hint I checked it and it seems that appears only when I am in my local computer account (which is linked to 1PW cloud). In dad accounts this is not showing up, it was in mine. But anyway: Dangerous!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@telephoneman - thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't describe this as "dangerous," though I can certainly see how it might be an issue if you are in this kind of unusual situation where there are two user-accounts in the same physical household on one Mac, and some of them have 1password.com accounts while others do not. In such a case, yes, the users with memberships will definitely be prompted to upgrade from 6 --> 7, but that's working-as-expected behavior. I'd imagine I could count the number of users experiencing this particular issue on the fingers of both hands and toes of both feet, out of millions, since in most cases, if people are close enough together that they're actually sharing the same Mac, they typically have a 1Password Families account they share as well, which would render this moot. Even in a case such as yours, since we recommend people keep their critical security software up to date whether they're 1password.com members or standalone 1Password users, our recommendation would still be that your father pick up a license for standalone 1Password 7 for Mac if you both feel it's in his best interest continue using 1Password in standalone with iCloud instead of you both joining a 1Password Families account.

This discussion has been closed.