1Password Consistantly Failing with Newest Update and IE9

I am consistantly getting:

1Password has encountered a problem.

An error occurred while navigating to .....

Re-starting web browser might correct the problem.

I got this a lot on the previous update and now with the current update it is constant. (Update 1.0.8.216)

I have restarted IE9 & it is still there.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Have you tried to repair Internet Explorer?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378
  • 1pBob
    1pBob
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    I tried to repair my copy of IE9.

Didn't make any difference.

I get:

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 9.0.8112.16421, time stamp: 0x4d76255d
    Faulting module name: AGILE1~1.DLL, version: 1.0.8.216, time stamp: 0x4e6d215f
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00004e22
    Faulting process id: 0xa1c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cc78fbdf075671
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~2\1PASSW~1\AGILE1~1.DLL
    Report Id: ade04c19-e4f0-11e0-8023-c42c032efb3e
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    When and where are you seeing this error? Do you happen to have reproducible steps?
  • 1pBob
    1pBob
    Community Member
    Went through this before w.r.t. the beta versions:

http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/6616-ie-crash-at-exit/

I provided a fair amount of logging info there, too.

I gave up on the betas, but I see this issue with 'real' version too.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    No matter what I try, I cannot seem to reproduce this one.
  • 1pBob
    1pBob
    Community Member
    So. Can you create a debug build? One that will give you more info when it crashes...like a proper stack trace, etc.

Happy to test such a beast for you. can even NDA if appropriate.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011

When and where are you seeing this error? Do you happen to have reproducible steps?

1pBob wrote:

Went through this before w.r.t. the beta versions:

http://forum.agilebi...-crash-at-exit/

I provided a fair amount of logging info there, too.

Bob, I've reread that entire thread (and this one), and there's no mention of reproducible steps—a lot of crash logs and the fact that it's happening. Can you tell us anything about your interactions with 1Password leading up to the crashes?

Thanks!
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    1pBob wrote:

So. Can you create a debug build? One that will give you more info when it crashes...like a proper stack trace, etc.

When a crash occurs, and our error dialog appears, the error report contains a full stack trace.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011

1pBob wrote:

When a crash occurs, and our error dialog appears, the error report contains a full stack trace.

Bob, I know you've already written in your earlier posts that the 1Password error message is not appearing in these crashes of Internet Explorer.

Since 1Password isn't crashing, a "debug" build of 1Password probably wouldn't be of much use...and we can't create a debug build of IE, of course.
  • 1pBob
    1pBob
    Community Member
    Sorry. I have tried to find a repeatable test case...and failed (so far).

The crash is common but sporadic.

I have a *suspicion* that it is preceded by a flurry of disk activity. That's just a suspicion, however.

I just found the file "C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\EurekaLog\1Password\1Password.elf" I have zipped it and attached it. maybe this can help...looks to have some useful call stack info.

I sanitised the report before attaching it (removed my license info). Love the way that the license is reported in plain text, but "C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\Agile Web Solutions\1PWW.license" holds it in encrypted format... :wink:
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011
    1pBob wrote:

I just found the file "C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\EurekaLog\1Password\1Password.elf" I have zipped it and attached it. maybe this can help...looks to have some useful call stack info.

The .elf file is part of what's created when 1Password displays its own error report (or when you create one using the command on the Help menu). The contents of this one may or may not pertain to the problem you're seeing, depending on when it was created. My guess is that it's left over, somehow, from some previous crash.

I sanitised the report before attaching it (removed my license info). Love the way that the license is reported in plain text, but "C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\Agile Web Solutions\1PWW.license" holds it in encrypted format... :wink:

1Password creates the .elf file so you can send us the stack trace and other information about your system environment. It has to be unencrypted; otherwise, we wouldn't be able to read it without you also sending us your master password.

Sending us your license number in clear text has no potential for negative impact on you; sending us your master password so we could read an encrypted .elf file would give anyone intercepting your e-mail the key to all your 1Password data. I hope that makes it clear ;) why the file is unencrypted.
  • 1pBob
    1pBob
    Community Member
    Thought I'd hit the jackpot when I found the .elf file :-)

Never mind...good try though.

When I stripped out the license info, I wasn't actually worried about the security of my data. I (thought) I was protecting YOUR commercial interests. I assumed that you would not appreciate me posting a valid license key on your public web page!
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    1pBob wrote:

When I stripped out the license info, I wasn't actually worried about the security of my data. I (thought) I was protecting YOUR commercial interests. I assumed that you would not appreciate me posting a valid license key on your public web page!

Thanks for the clarification.

You're right—it wouldn't do us any good to have a valid key posted here for anyone to pick up.

Thanks for thinking of us!
This discussion has been closed.