Dev build of Microsoft Edge on macOS

This discussion was created from comments split from: Support new Chrome Edge Development Builds`.

Comments

• joshgoebel
    joshgoebel
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

I'm trying this, but doesn't seem to work in 1Password 6.8.9, is this going to be an issue? The extension installs but when it tries to Launch 1Password 1Password just crashes. Starting it myself doesn't seem to help. Seems to work just fine in Chrome itself though.

Version 76.0.161.0 (Official build) Dev (64-bit)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joshgoebel,

It seems that there is a confusion happening: this thread is about using dev builds of Chromium-based Edge on Windows, not macOS. Am I right to understand that you use 1Password 6.8.9 on your Mac and installed a Canary build of the new Microsoft Edge? I checked and noticed that Dev builds are not available on macOS yet. Please confirm. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• joshgoebel
    joshgoebel
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

I'm actually in the Dev channel (don't ask me how), but I could switch to Canary if that would help.

Yes, latest macOS and 1Password 6.8.9.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

Hi @joshgoebel, thank you for the additional info.

I split your posts from the initial thread and moved it to a new thread in Mac category, since you have issues with Edge on macOS, not Windows. I will ask my team to take a look.

Could you please specify the name and the version of 1Password extension that you are trying to install in Edge now? Thanks!

++
    Greg

• joshgoebel
    joshgoebel
    Community Member

1Password extension (desktop app required)
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

I just installed the one from the Chrome store, trying to see if the advice in the other thread would work.

• joshgoebel
    joshgoebel
    Community Member

The problem is the JS extension can't seem to connect to the websocket that the helper is supposed to have on offer.

global.min.js:241 [AGENT:WS] default close event handler with code <1006> and reason <> received: [object CloseEvent]
    (anonymous) @ global.min.js:241
    global.min.js:84 Finished loading auth configuration. Processing callbacks.
    global.min.js:240 WebSocket connection to 'ws://127.0.0.1:49806/4' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
    (anonymous) @ global.min.js:240
    (anonymous) @ global.min.js:239
    global.min.js:240 [AGENT:WS] socket error: [object Event]; readyState=3. Perhaps Helper is not running on ws://127.0.0.1:49806/4 or is shutting down?
    h.onerror @ global.min.js:240
    error (async)
    setTimeout (async)
    c @ global.min.js:239
    (anonymous) @ global.min.js:242
    Promise.then (async)
    Uc.connect.connect @ global.min.js:242
    global.min.js:241 [AGENT:WS] default close event handler with code <1006> and reason <> received: [object CloseEvent]
    global.min.js:240 WebSocket connection to 'ws://127.0.0.1:55735/4' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
    global.min.js:240 [AGENT:WS] socket error: [object Event]; readyState=3. Perhaps Helper is not running on ws://127.0.0.1:55735/4 or is shutting down?
    error (async)

• Hi @joshgoebel,

My apologies... We do not currently have support for the Edge browser on macOS. If / when we do add support it would be added to 1Password 7 for Mac:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever | 1Password

We have not announced any official plans at this point for Edge support on macOS, though.

Ben

• roligov
    roligov
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Hi,
    Please add support for Microsoft Edge 76.0.161.0 (Official build) Dev (64-bit). It's a Chromium based browser so it shouldn't be very different from Chrome and Brave right?
    Thanks!

• @roligov

That is something we're looking into. Thanks for the feedback. If we do add support for it, that support will be in 1Password v7 (i.e. it won't be in v6 or earlier). :)

Ben

• joshgoebel
    joshgoebel
    Community Member

Are the installers fighting with each other normal? There is no way to have both 1Password 6 and 7 installed simultaneously?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@joshgoebel - you can have both 6 and 7 installed simultaneously, but it will likely result in unexpected behavior and problems. It's not a recommended setup, and I have to wonder why you would want to do such a thing. Our recommendation as a security company is for all users to keep their mission-critical software up-to-date, and that includes not just 1Password but also your browser(s), macOS and any additional extensions. That said, as Ben mentioned, there is no current support for Edge in 1Password for Mac. 1Password X appears to work in Edge for Mac, but that requires a separate extension from the "desktop app required" version, as well as a 1password.com account. To be clear, 1Password 6 for Mac will never support Edge for Mac, as it's been in legacy mode for a year now and thus receives no further development attention.

• joshgoebel
    joshgoebel
    Community Member

Can one use a 1Password.com account just to "subscribe" to the product and still continue to mostly use local vaults for everything - ala "1Password 6 mode"?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@joshgoebel - again, the difference between a 1password.com account/membership and standalone data is not the same thing as upgrading from 1Password 6 for Mac to 1Password 7 for Mac. It is indeed possible to subscribe to a 1password.com account and then never use it...but in order to use 1Password for Mac (or 1Password for Windows for that matter), you would have to be signed into your 1password.com account within the app, but never use those vaults, and instead create local, standalone vaults and use only those. It's a cumbersome, not-recommended process. But yes, it is possible. Again, I have to ask why you'd want to go through that kind of kludgy work-around if you don't want to actually USE a 1password.com account? Standalone licenses are available for both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows; they can be purchased from right within the app, when downloaded/installed from our website.

• joshgoebel
    joshgoebel
    Community Member

The problem is the JS extension can't seem to connect to the websocket that the helper is supposed to have on offer.

global.min.js:240 WebSocket connection to 'ws://127.0.0.1:49806/4' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
        global.min.js:240 [AGENT:WS] socket error: [object Event]; readyState=3. Perhaps Helper is not running on ws://127.0.0.1:49806/4 or is shutting down?
        error (async)
        setTimeout (async)
        Promise.then (async)
        global.min.js:240 WebSocket connection to 'ws://127.0.0.1:55735/4' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
        global.min.js:240 [AGENT:WS] socket error: [object Event]; readyState=3. Perhaps Helper is not running on ws://127.0.0.1:55735/4 or is shutting down?
        error (async)
        setTimeout (async)
        Promise.then (async)
        global.min.js:240 WebSocket connection to 'ws://127.0.0.1:59488/4' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
        global.min.js:240 [AGENT:WS] socket error: [object Event]; readyState=3. Perhaps Helper is not running on ws://127.0.0.1:59488/4 or is shutting down?
        error (async)
        setTimeout (async)
        Promise.then (async)

• joshgoebel
    joshgoebel
    Community Member

Again, I have to ask why you'd want to go through that kind of kludgy work-around if you don't want to actually USE a 1password.com account? Standalone licenses are available for both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows; they can be purchased from right within the app, when downloaded/installed from our website.

@Lars I think the idea (once I had an account) would be to see how the web component might fit into my life, although I am very comfortable with the Dropbox syncing that's worked for years. Also to go ahead and get used to the subscription aspect - that's the way the world seems to be going (and I understand why). You offer licenses now, but in the future you might stop and just go subscription only, who knows.

Interesting to hear it's "not recommended". I'll give it some thought. Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joshgoebel: I'm late to this discussion, so I apologize if I am missing some context. But we haven't been using WebSockets in any recent versions of 1Password, going back to our move to Native Messaging circa August 2017. So I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.

think the idea (once I had an account) would be to see how the web component might fit into my life, although I am very comfortable with the Dropbox syncing that's worked for years.

That makes sense. :) Honestly, I felt the same way when 1Password memberships were first introduced. I actually justified moving to that psychologically because, though I was more than comfortable with Dropbox, it was way easier for my family to use 1Password just by signing into their account on each device, not having to worry about sync configuration and licenses. But it wasn't long until I realized I would not want to go back. I can totally manage that stuff, but I do not at all miss setting up sync for each vault on each and every one of my own devices -- and my family's. :lol:

So anyway, I think I get where you're coming from, and if you have any questions along the way let me know. Happy to help. :)

• joshgoebel
    joshgoebel
    Community Member

But we haven't been using WebSockets in any recent versions of 1Password, going back to our move to Native Messaging circa August 2017. So I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.

@brently Must just be some very old code in the plugin then... I was reviewing the plugin's web console and it's trying to connect to a websocket on localhost over and over and over and over again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joshgoebel: It's possible, especially if you're using anything older. What OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions are involved?

• If you had 1Password 6 installed, and haven't rebooted the Mac since, that is probably why. :) Please give a reboot a try.

Ben

• joshgoebel
    joshgoebel
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    • 1Password extension (desktop app required) 4.7.3.90 (from Chrome)
    • Microsoft Edge (Mac) - Version 76.0.161.0 (Official build) Dev (64-bit)
    • macOS Mojave

Probably should really reduce the back-off rate on that a bit.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joshgoebel: I think the problem is that you either don't have the 1Password app installed at all and/or that's happening because the prerelease version of Edge cannot connect via Native Messaging at all and therefore tries to fall back to WebSockets.

• joshgoebel
    joshgoebel
    Community Member

I have the app installed. You might be right on the latter point. I'll Google Edge and Native Messaging and maybe learn something.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joshgoebel: Yeah that's it then. Just wasn't sure about the first part. If it can't connect via Native Messaging, it will try to do so using WebSockets. No harm done, but something we can look at maybe tweaking if it causes any issues when Edge is ready for a stable release. :)

• rudy
    edited May 2019

@joshgobel,

You're missing the copy of the Chrome NativeMessage JSON payload file in your Edge directory, so its absolutely going to fall back to trying to connect via WebSockets. 1Password 7 no longer listens for websockets connections so it will always fail in the way you describe using that configuration.

That said, even with the JSON file in place, Edge will be rejected by 1Password due to not being a whitelisted browser.

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Is there a reason Edge Dev is supported on Windows but not on macOS?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kathampy: I would imagine because Edge Dev has been a thing on Windows for a while, while it has only appeared on macOS recently.

This discussion has been closed.