Stand alone license and cannot get past the log-in after I upgraded to 1password 7. Please help

Options
Jill_Maciulla
Jill_Maciulla
Community Member

I am a long time user of 1 password and recently had trouble with my Safari extension, so I upgraded to the latest version of 1 Password and now I am having all kinds of problems. I cannot log in because I have no secret key (I have a stand alone version) Can you please help! This is very frustrating!

1Password Version: Version 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iMac 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:no security key

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jill_Maciulla! Welcome to the forum!

I upgraded to the latest version of 1 Password and now I am having all kinds of problems.

What kind of problems are you having? If you could be more specific, we can then help you much more :)

I cannot log in because I have no secret key (I have a stand alone version)

If you don't have a 1Password Membership, you don't have a Secret Key. When you first launch 1Password, the app shows you a list of locations, asking you where your 1Password data is stored. It sounds like you clicked on the "1Password.com" option there, but that's not the right one for you.

If you choose where your data is currently stored, you will be able to configure 1Password without a Secret Key.

• Jill_Maciulla
    Jill_Maciulla
    Community Member
    Options

I am using the Safari extension and I can see all of my passwords. When I go to the main 1Password 7 Application and go to preferences, I can see all of my Vault Information and further, the back ups are occurring as usual on iCloud. But when I try to update any information on my existing log-ins or passwords it wants me to log in.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jill_Maciulla: Is this a version of 1Password downloaded from the Mac App Store perhaps? Also, if you open 1Password Preferences again and go to the Accounts tab this time, do you have anything listed there?

Alternatively, have you purchased a license for 1Password 7 already?

The reason I ask both of these is because what you wrote in your first message ("I upgraded to the latest version of 1 Password and now I am having all kinds of problems") makes me think that you maybe upgraded from version 6. Is this the case? Remember that 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, so without either a 1Password Membership or a 1Password 7 license, you won't be able to edit any information in the app.

• Jill_Maciulla
    Jill_Maciulla
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I did purchase my original 1 Password from the Mac App Store and then upgraded my 1Password version 6 to version 7. so that is the issue. I really don't want to pay for a subscription, so I will go back to version 6. Thank you for your assistance.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @Jill_Maciulla. Also remember, as I wrote in my previous post, that you can also purchase a license for version 7 if you don't want to subscribe.

• Jill_Maciulla
    Jill_Maciulla
    Community Member
    Options

So sorry to be a pain, but now I am really confused. I had purchased a stand alone license through 1 Password many years ago and have always updated to the latest version and was able to log in and sync my vault through iCloud. So are you saying that the new version 7, that the license I purchased is no longer valid and that I need to purchase a new license for version 7, even though I already have a purchased license for version 6? Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

That is correct. Licenses are sold on a per-version basis. 1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. For the vast majority of people a 1Password membership is going to be the best way forward. Membership is a custom tailored solution that was born to solve many of the problems that are inherent in the way standalone licensing works, including addressing the situation of upgrades not being included. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

(these instructions should be followed after installing 1Password 7)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Jill_Maciulla
    Jill_Maciulla
    Community Member
    Options

That cleared up everything. Thank you Ben and Ana for your assistance! Much appreciated!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jill_Maciulla - on behalf of Ben and ag_ana, you're quite welcome. Glad they were able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.