leaving my company who uses 1password, but dont wanna lose my private data

endri
endri
Community Member

Hi,
In a week i will be leaving my company who uses 1Password and managed by them. In that same account i have private data, which i would like to save or back up. When i quit, will i be able to keep the same user and pass with my own private vaults or will that be canceled/deleted? If yes, can i back vaults up?
thanks in advance
Endri

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:leaving my company who uses 1password, but dont wanna lose my private data

Comments

• Hi @endri

Any items stored in a membership owned by someone else are at the mercy of that someone (in this case, your company). For this reason we highly recommend keeping work and personal data separate. Your company can, and in my experience likely will, delete your 1Password account within their membership when you leave. To avoid losing any personal data in that process I'd highly recommend signing up for your own membership, and moving any personal data to a vault within that membership:

https://start.1password.com/sign-up/plan

You can sign into multiple 1Password accounts with the 1Password apps. Once you have created a membership and signed into your account within the 1Password app you can move your data between vaults using the instructions here:

Move and copy items | 1Password

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• endri
    endri
    Community Member

Hello @Ben
    Thank you so much for your reply.
    I was able to find a way to create a vault on the mac through 1Password, and transfer desired files there and then back them up either on a folder, icloud or dropbox.
    Thank again for your time and effort.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@endri - I assume you mean you were able to create a standalone vault by clicking "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts" in 1Password for Mac's Preferences > Advanced (mostly since I can't think of any other ways you could accomplish what you said you did without having created a new 1password.com account for yourself).

That's great, and I'm glad you were able to find a solution that worked for you -- however, I did want to make you aware that you were able to do this without complication or cost because 1Password for Mac is "authorized" (i.e - paid for) by virtue of your account in your employer's 1Password Teams account. But when you leave that position and either your employer deactivates your account or you remove it yourself from 1Password for Mac, that won't be the case any longer, and your data in the standalone vault will become Read Only (meaning you won't be able to add to, edit or delete any of it). You'll need to either purchase your own standalone license directly within 1Password for Mac (just click the Read Only button on any of your data), or sign up for your own 1password.com account (also available directly via clicking the Read Only button). Just a heads-up. :)

• endri
    endri
    Community Member

@Lars - Yes sir, that is correct.
    Thats great info by the way, thanks for the heads up and great help
    Really appreciate it

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.