App crashes at starup on windows 10. Extension on Edge wont open

When I start my computer, I instantly get an error "1password.exe - This application cannot be started". It pops up twice. Then I can open 1password and get in manually. The extension in Edge doesn't open or work at all. I've uninstalled both apps and reinstalled. Same problems. not sure what I'm doing wrong.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 7.2.583
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bundtkate
    edited June 2019

This is an issue we know about, but so far as we can tell about the only thing that is guaranteed to fix it is uninstalling the Edge extension, @TheLegacy024. With Edge being rebuilt on Chromium as we speak, we're unlikely to find a cause we can fix here before the current incarnation of Edge gets retired.

My suggestion, if you need to use 1Password in Edge, would be to uninstall just the Edge extension, check for updates both for 1Password and Windows, reboot, then reinstall the Edge extension. This will almost certainly get things working temporarily, but make sure it keeps up following another reboot. For most folks encountering this issue, some undetermined number of reboots seems to sort things out, but again, we're not totally sure why. There aren't a ton of folks encountering the issue, but it is happening and we can't reproduce it, so this is the best we've got at the moment. We're continuing to monitor and see what more we can learn, but the likely solution will be the natural switch to Edge Chromium when it's available down the road.

I'm sorry I don't have a better solution for you, but I hope your experience ultimately matches what we've seen thus far and this ultimately resolves itself. Fingers crossed! 🤞

ref: TFK-66275-328

• TheLegacy024
    TheLegacy024
    Community Member

This did work, by uninstalling the Edge extension and restarting. Everything works smoothly now.

• That's wonderful to hear, @TheLegacy024! It's not a guaranteed solution, but I'm always thrilled when it works out. Enjoy! :chuffed:

• kiddokay
    kiddokay
    Community Member

I have the same issue on one machine running Windows 10 Pro 1803. On the machine with Windows 10 Pro 1809 the issue is not happening. So I think it is related to this specific build. I also have gotten the error that something was wrong with the .NET framework. So maybe the problem is this specific combination of 1803 and a .NET framework version.

• bundtkate
    edited June 2019

I've seen improvements for some folks with .NET 4.8, @kiddokay, but I want to say that shipped with 1902 (if it has shipped widely at all). As such, I don't think there's any genuine difference between .NET in 1803 vs. 1809. Still, trying 4.8 seems worth a go. 1Password will use the latest available that we support, so if something is wrong with your 4.7.2, getting 1Password to use 4.8 instead seems a good bet. Try grabbing it here:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download

Let me know if it helps. :chuffed:

• kiddokay
    kiddokay
    Community Member

Installing 4.8 didn't solve the problem yet. Will keep you posted if there are changes, @bundtkate

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@kiddokay: Do you use Microsoft Edge on this computer? If you do, please try to uninstall 1Password extension from Edge. reboot your computer and check if the issue remains. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• kiddokay
    kiddokay
    Community Member

@Greg Didn't help. App still crashes on startup.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kiddokay,

In this case, please reproduce the crash, grab the crash report from the Windows Event Viewer, and send it our way to support+windows@agilebits.com. Let me know once you do that, so we could find it on our side. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• kiddokay
    kiddokay
    Community Member

@Greg Done! I can still use 1Password most of the times in between crashes so i am not completely locked out :-).

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@kiddokay: I am glad to hear that! I found your crash report. Please ignore the the auto-reply, it was sent by accident (we know that you have already tried to install .NET).

Since we need to dig deeper, let's continue our conversation via email. It will help us avoid any further confusion. :) Thanks again!

++
    Greg

ref: WID-73599-884

This discussion has been closed.