Merge 2 Logins

Feature Request: ability to merge 2 logins. I.E. one login has the username, password, and website. The other login has the security questions. Merge them together so one login has all the information.
Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for the suggestion, @Mag748! This is actually kind of a tough one, interestingly (to me anyway). For example, which date created do we keep? What about the date modified? Should this merger be considered a modification or no? What if these items are in different vaults? Which vault should it live in? It's definitely something I could see being handy (I have two Facebook Logins in desperate need of this treatment), but would take some pondering to be sure. I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to our development team. :chuffed:

• Mag748
    Mag748
    Community Member

I think it should work just like Google does with duplicate contacts.
    Since google doesn’t care about dates, here are some suggestions:
    Keep the oldest date created.
    Keep the newest date modified.
    A merge does not count as a modification.
    Merge only works with items in the same vault.

It doesn’t even have to be that smart, it could just give you the option to choose which data to keep, if for example, two duplicate logins had different data in the same field.

• Appreciate your thoughts on the details, @Mag748. I'll make sure to include them with the suggestion. :+1:

• Pontus
    Pontus
    Community Member

Just to 2nd this. I have been manually merging several fragments lately and Mag748's suggestion would make life easier.
    First off, a manual, right click "Merge these 2 (or x number) items". Later on an automatic "These seems to be duplicate items, would you like 1Password to merge them for you?"

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Pontus,

Thank you for chipping in! Do you mind sharing how do you end up with two separate Login items with complementing info? It will be quite helpful. Thanks!

• Pontus
    Pontus
    Community Member

@Greg here are a couple of examples off the top of my head (not naming and shaming, just facts):
    1. Saved login at Airbnb.com and later was redirected to airbnb.co.nz (I lived there and got redirected due to IP location) where a new login was saved. This is the most common one I think.
    2. Login saved at www.cibse.org who later moved their login server to salesforce, changing url to cibse.force.com
    3. Tweetdeck.com was eventually bought up by twitter and logins merged.
    4. (hypothetical) Www.example.com wants to be hip and change their url to xamp.le

Some of these may not happen anymore as the browser plug in is smarter nowadays.
    Let me know if you need more info. :chuffed:

• I think you'll ultimately be correct that those won't be as much of an issue moving forward, @Pontus. I can't say for sure that filling is quite smart enough to cope with each example today, but the idea of domain equivalents (most closely exemplified by your Airbnb example) is something we've been working on for a time to help ease the pain of having saved a Login on amazon.com and needing to shop on amazon.co.uk with the same credentials. All the same, your feedback is much appreciated. As a rule, we prefer to make efforts to cope with these realities that don't require any mucking around with your data (whether automated or manual on your end), so knowing when y'all feel compelled to do so is super helpful regardless of whether we end up handling things quite the was you envisioned. :chuffed:

• Pontus
    Pontus
    Community Member

@bundtkate a big thumbs up for all you are saying, cheers.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Pontus: On behalf of Kate you are very welcome!

Your examples are really appreciated and it help us understand how 1Password is used by our customers. :) We will take it into consideration when we discuss it internally. Thanks again! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• JRFitz
    JRFitz
    Community Member

Just an update, I know we would like to avoid having the duplicates, which I completely understand. I am currently going through my accounts and getting everything up to date and ensuring all my accounts are that much more secure. Nonetheless when I went to update my Nike account 1Password saved it as a new login instead of asking if I wanted to update my current one. The website used for the new login was listed as my second website in my original login item (https://www.nike.com/member/settings).
    The primary website I have listed is https://s3.nikecdn.com/unite/mobile...etc.. (presuming this is from the app)

Does 1Password only read from the main website?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JRFitz: That's correct. 1Password only offers to fill a Login at a URL which matches the one saved. It's an important phishing protection. Otherwise you could end up giving your account credentials for one site to any other. If you're sure you want to use them across multiple URLs, you can edit the Login to add them though. :)

This discussion has been closed.