Editing Web form details fields [Planned]

Comments

• Rhys Lloyd
    Rhys Lloyd
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi @brenty - the page I have the most trouble with is at this URL: https://ibanking.banksa.com.au/ibank/loginPage.action - it's poorly built which makes things harder.

The primary issue is that because there are two "password" fields, the internet password gets placed in the "Security Number" field, leaving the "Password" field blank. When submitting on this form, the 1Password extension updates (after clicking "update") the "password" field to the "security number" field - and just ignores the "Internet Password" field altogether.

This has been happening on and off for years. I thought it had been fixed, but recently we've started experiencing this issue again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Rhys Lloyd: Thanks! I don't know if this actually works, not having an account there, but I was able to get 1Password to save and fill all the fields. In many cases manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better. Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form

Let me know how it goes!

• Baski
    Baski
    Community Member

Hello,
    Last website I had a problem with was : https://www.showroomprive.com/
    Because registration form is on the same page than login. So I think I've made the error to save the login and pwd when registering and now when I use 1password app to auto-fill, it completes the fields in the registration form.

• That could be the case @Baski, but it could also be a field labeling issue. If it is the web form details, though, following the steps Brenty outlined above to fill in the sign-in form and save a new Login should correct it. Give it a go and let me know if it helps. :chuffed:

• Baski
    Baski
    Community Member

Hello,
    I could make 1password works correctly with the steps described by Brenty, thank you :chuffed:
    But I had to try 2 times because it seems the password field is emptied each time it's focused. So at first try 1password saved my login without any password (I had put my password but the field was emptied just after I cliked on "Save" in 1password).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, I'm not sure why they do things that way. Glad you were able to work around it though. Cheers! :)

• SoKal
    SoKal
    Community Member

Having recently migrated from 1Password 4, this is yet another feature which you broke or deleted in 1Password 7 for Windows. I also found it very useful (I'm a techie). In this case, I just want to change the name of a field from username to emailAddress, since VRBO changed this.

BTW, I tried @brenty's January 21 work-around, but it did not work for me. I tried to use it to Save new Login > Update existing, but after completing the login in, the field name was still wrong in my existing record. I'm not sure it changed anything. Or maybe I did something wrong.

BTW BTW, IMO Save new Login is misleading. It would be clearer if it read Save Login to New/Existing Record, since the dialog that pops up give a user that choice.

BTW BTW BTW, I'm not sure why "new" is lowercase in the menu item title Save new Login.

A year ago near the top of this thread, @bundtkate worte, "[Manually editing saved Web form details is] something we do want to introduce." In the context of a happy 1Password 4 user, that should be rewritten to: "Manually editing saved Web form details is something we do want to restore."

Bottom line: Please get this working in 1Password 7 for Windows.

Side note: I was shocked to find out that 1Password 7 for Mac does supporting full editing of web form fields and field names! (Thank you.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

@SoKal: So does the current Windows app:

As I mentioned above, this feature was added already. If you're not seeing it, be sure to update.

But if you're having trouble with saving/filling on a specific site, be sure to let us know the URL and all other relevant details (OS, 1Password, browser, and extension version) so we can investigate.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Hi @brenty,

I think sometimes it is just needed to edit the name of a web-form detail or even delete one because it got captured but hinders the autocompletion from automatically sign in.
    And sometimes there is not the option to just recreate the item, because e.g. the password history would get lost.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lumarel: You can always save a new login at the page where you want to use it:

Save a login manually

That allows 1Password to save the URL you want to use along with additional information about the form to fill better.

But again, if there's a specific site you're having trouble with, rather than talking about hypotheticals, let us know the details so we can help, and maybe even make 1Password smarter for you and everyone else in the future.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Thank you for bringing that up @brenty,
    but as I mentioned I just don't like to loose my password history :chuffed:

Sorry for mostly speaking hypotheticly, I only do this because I always forget where exactly I had these problems, but I will try to look on that in the future.
    Today it happened here, the company recently changed their site to a completely new design and as well changed the login form. It has been a long time ago when I created the item in 1P4 (I suspect it is because of this), so it also saved all the other form details, this wasn't a problem up to now before the new website, but now it also fill the country ("Land") on the right hand side, which prevents it from clicking the login button on the left :unamused:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's certainly something we can consider as we continue to improve the app. But I have to say that it doesn't come up a lot, so it would help to know how having password history from years ago is important to your workflow. I don't have a third option (apart from keeping the existing login or making a new one) to suggest at this time, but we'll take your feedback into account along with everyone else's as we develop future versions. Specific examples are pretty important when it comes to justifying putting a bunch of work into something, especially when there are so many other somethings vying for our time and attention. :)

• SoKal
    SoKal
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, you are absolutely correct. I can edit them. Thanks for putting that feature back in on the desktop apps (Windows and Mac).

Often I forget to hit the Edit button before trying to make changes. Without hitting the Edit button, it seems like the field is not editable.

Case closed for me. Thanks for your patience.

• Glad you were able to find a solution, @SoKal, and on brenty's behalf, you are most welcome. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The username and password fields have a specific function in 1Password, so that wouldn't have the effect you want anyway. But saving the login manually can help. If you're having trouble with a specific website we'll be happy to investigate if you'll give us the URL, to see if there's something we can do to improve 1Password.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,
    sorry for the delay, got ill since then...

Thank you very much for the consideration! I didn't want to ask for more :chuffed:

I totally understand that I'm always stealing a little bit too much time from you with my more complex/difficult requests, so I also understand it if you don't have the time for something like this :+1:
    Sorry for the time stealing :(

By the way I can confirm that it works to change the field name of a web form detail (ref: link ), did it already more than once and it always worked ^^

• While I certainly can't speak for Brenty, @lumarel, I can say I personally never mind my time being taken up with more complex problems and I'd wager Brenty would agree. We know we have customers who range from those who would probably still own a flip phone were it a viable option these days to folks who live and breathe tech and we want 1Password to be as awesome as it can be for all of you. The more technical requests may take more time and may not all make the cut, but we still very much appreciate you sharing how we could improve your workflow, regardless of time taken. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lumarel: It's no problem at all! I just don't want to give you or anyone else reading false hope, as we're best able to help troubleshoot specific issues. Thanks for your feedback and passion for 1Password! :chuffed:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

We know we have customers who range from those who would probably still own a flip phone were it a viable option these days to folks who live and breathe tech and we want 1Password to be as awesome as it can be for all of you.

That's a pretty great description :lol:

Issues (yes of course specific ones are better ^^) or Feature Requests, you are good at all of them 8-)

So to end this, I just have to thank you one more time for your great work @bundtkate @brenty (and as well all other colleagues)! :chuffed:

• Thank you for taking the time to say so, @lumarel. It really does mean a lot, especially in a thread like this where we're asking you to hang tight on a feature that's important to you. I really appreciate your kind words and hope the whole team continues to be an asset for a long time to come. :chuffed: :love:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arianelu: If there are "unused"/"useless" fields saved, that's because the webpage has those "unused"/"useless" fields in it. Not really something we have control over. 1Password just tries to save information about the page to help it with filling later. It's unlikely that any of that is doing any harm. You'll get the best results by saving a new Login on the page where you want to use it though. :)

• chris13524
    chris13524
    Community Member

This is pretty frustrating not being able to manually edit these fields. E.g. we are partnered with a company and clicking on the (1) button in their login form doesn't bring up the popover...I suspect they have some JavaScript messing it up. Nevertheless, it CAN fill the fields fine when clicking autofill from the toolbar. However, the issue is their login from has three fields: "Company login", username, and password. Unfortunately when manually creating a 1Password login entry, there is no way to add the additional "web form details" for the company login to it.

So at the moment the only option we have is to autofill the username and password, and then manually go into the login item and copy out the company login into the form.

It would be great if we would be able to add/edit/delete these webform entries.

• Mag748
    Mag748
    Community Member

This is an important feature I would like added ASAP

• It sounds like you might be using 1Password X, @chris13524, is that the case? I'm actually not totally certain whether 1Password X relies on the web form details at all, so this might not actually be the right feature request to resolve your issue. I've asked the development team specifically about web form details, but in case I scoot before I hear anything, I'm gonna tag @cecelia here as she's usually around later and may have some suggestions for you as well.

@Mag748, like has been said a few times before here, our suggestion is most commonly going to be to save a Login manually if a particular site is giving you trouble. Like others have said, this is still something we're considering, but it's not a high priority right now and manually saving should solve most problems with particularly troublesome sites. Of course, if that's not helping in a particular case, let us know. We do know of some trouble-prone sign-in pages and have a few site-specific tricks in some cases, so it's always worth bringing them up. :+1:

• MikeT
    edited June 2019

Hi guys,

@chris13524, you do not have to use web form details to do this. Just create a custom field in your Login item to match the name of the field Company login and save it. 1Password should be able to match and fill for you.

Late last year, we added more intelligence to our filling brain that allows the use of custom fields in your Logins to match the fields on the site. This isn't applicable to every site but it works for now. We're working on improving this more and more in every update and eventually, web form details will not be used anymore.

Be sure to use concealed password fields for any sensitive fields.

• chris13524
    chris13524
    Community Member

@MikeT actually I came across that "trick" by accident, it works great! Good plan to remove web form details if custom fields will replace. Thanks!

• It's not quite at the point of replacing things just yet, @chris13524, but it is pretty cool. There were some recent changes I was't even totally up to speed on that allow filling custom fields under certain circumstances and it's pretty awesome. At this point, the only way to know if it will work is to try it, but it's something we want to build on more and we hope it'll be even more exciting moving forward. And, if we're lucky, possibly even something that can truly replace form details one day. :chuffed:

• deviant
    deviant
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

@bundtkate @MikeT @brenty It is awesome to see you guys so involved and responsive in the forums. I had a question on one of my sites (I am evaluating on a trial, possibly moving from LastPass Family to 1Password Family).

For Protonmail, my login goes from screen 1 (username/password) which works flawlessly to screen 2 (one time passcode) which also works, but on screen 3 where it prompts for mailbox-password to decrypt the mailbox it doesn't seem to recognize the extra form fills I have entered (tried fieldname 'mailbox-password' and field placeholder 'Mailbox Password' and field ID 'mailboxPassword'). When I save the login from the 3rd page it stores that password as 'username' with no web form fields. (Element from the 3rd page below)

As a workaround I can add a second account with the primary password field as the Mailbox password but on Lastpass I was able to get it to fill in automatically so I was hoping there might be an option to make this work. I see that it is possible to edit the values for web form fields, but is it possible to add additional web form fields manually?

Element from 3rd page trying to get to autofill: (Removed the opening < and closing > so it would show)

input type="text" class="password-input ng-touched ng-dirty ng-valid-parse ng-empty ng-invalid ng-invalid-required" ng-model="value" autocapitalize="off" autocorrect="off" autocomplete="off" required="" data-toggle-password="" id="mailboxPassword" name="mailbox-password" placeholder="Mailbox password" data-op-id="52" data-com.agilebits.onepassword.user-edited="yes"

This discussion has been closed.