hand typing password always fails.

wlancehunt
wlancehunt
Community Member

Whenever I hand type my password it fails to open the app, regardless of the device (desktop, iPhone, iPad), yet when I copy and paste the password, it works. Is it possible that the dashes included by iPassword when it generated the password are not the ones on the keys? I.e. it's an N dash, or some hyphen I'm not using?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:hand typing password always fails.

Comments

• @wlancehunt,

If there are two dashes next to each other, iOS/macOS can tend to want to replace those with a smart dash, the same thing can happen to quote characters. If you're copying them from a text editor, it may have done this conversion for you. example: -- ends up turning into —

• wlancehunt
    wlancehunt
    Community Member

That is not what I had expected but might well explain things. So I should try it with an M-dash. (I can't remember how to create n-dashes, only hyphens.) Actually, it is using the minus sign on the number keyboard and NOT the hyphen, which is what I was using. (There are two in the generated password.) The question now is how to do a minus sign on my iPhone. Worse still, the "l" is actually an "I"(lowercase L vs Captial I, which I only found out by putting it into a word document and changing to a serif font. So, two minus signs and a capital I did it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wlancehunt - let us know how you get on with it. One thing I'd definitely recommend is not having your Master Password anywhere you can copy it directly to your clipboard; that's not very secure. In other words, if I were you, and you can't get past what rudy was mentioning, I'd remove or change the offending characters to some other character that doesn't cause the problem, so you aren't having to save your password to disk in plaintext somewhere.

• wlancehunt
    wlancehunt
    Community Member

I have it hidden inside of a paragraph of note specifically so I could memorize it, then get rid of it. Now that I know what I had thought was a lower case L was actually an upper case I, I've gotten into the app on my desktop, iPhone and iPad without issue. Tricky those sanserif fonts. Tricky. I also believe the minus sign wasn't the issue but only that letter mix up. I used the hyphen on the iThingies without issue. I'll be able to delete the password now that I have it memorized. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wlancehunt - excellent! Glad we were able to help you solve the mystery. Cheers! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.