Move vault from Dropbox to iCloud?

The_MjW
The_MjW
Community Member

After the Dropbox limitations I'm looking to move to iCloud.
Is there a way to sync my Dropbox vault with the one in iCloud?

At least once so I can get the latest data from the Dropbox vault.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@The_MjW - so, a few things to keep in mind. First of all, iCloud sync works ONLY with the Primary vault. If you've only ever had the single Primary vault, that won't be an issue for you -- but if you're someone who's created multiple vaults already, iCloud isn't going to be a comprehensive solution for you.

Secondly, while iCloud sync will allow you to use your 1Password data on as many devices as you're signed into with the same Apple ID, it also restricts you to Apple-only devices. Here again, if you only use Apple devices and have no plans for that to change, you should be OK.

But the best path forward, which also allows you unlimited devices on which to use 1Password AND is platform-agnostic (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android) would be a 1password.com membership. Not only can you use any of our apps on as many devices as you like at no additional charge, you also get the most stable, set-it-and-forget-it syncing we've ever offered. And that's just a couple of the advantages of a 1password.com account. If you're looking for the best alternative to the Dropbox sync you've been using -- this is it.

If you want to stick with iCloud moving forward, all you'll need to do is turn off Dropbox syncing on any devices you're using 1Password on, and then on your primary device (probably a Mac; it's easiest that way), turn iCloud syncing ON. This will sync 1Password's internal SQLite database with iCloud. You can then do the same on other devices.

• The_MjW
    The_MjW
    Community Member

Thanks for that. I had activated iCloud sync a long time ago and it remembered the old database. I did a Reset iCloud data from 1Password/Help and then did the steps again.

I know I should eventually upgrade my ageing v6! :+1:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@The_MjW - yep, that'll do it; glad you figured out the Reset iCloud Data option. :) Have a great weekend!

• nev
    nev
    Community Member

If I move my one, single vault from Dropbox to iCloud (I'm only using Apple ID devices), is it necessary on my Macs to check/enable the box at System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options... > 1Password7 ? Or is that used for something else and not necessary ?

• Hi @nev

While we do not use iCloud Drive (we use CloudKit) my understanding is that Apple has tied these two technologies together. There isn't an explicit toggle for CloudKit. In order to use an app with CloudKit, iCloud Drive has to be enabled.

Ben

• nev
    nev
    Community Member

Thanks. This has often confused me: Why the necessity to enable iCloud Drive for CloudKit-based apps? But, OK, it has to be done. Thanks.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2019

@nev I suppose that is a question for Apple, but if I had to guess I'd say it is likely because they don't really talk at all to consumers about CloudKit. It falls under the "iCloud Drive umbrella," even though it serves a different purpose than iCloud Drive.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.