I just want to use ONE VAULT! So confusing!!

TB5918
TB5918
Community Member

Hi. I recently wiped my computer, and am reinstalling everything. I have a 1password account but have had a LOT of frustration dealing with duplicate and old passwords. I have 2 vaults (personal and primary) since I originally downloaded 1password for mac, and then ended up having to switch to the main version. I WOULD LIKE TO USE ONLY ONE VAULT. This way I can avoid having a password update to one vault, and not the other. WHICH VAULT SHOULD I USE? Which vault type is most readily accessible between my devices and 1passwordx??

I have 1passwordx for chrome, but it seems to default to only one of my vaults, and between that and 1password for iOS, IT'S A CONFUSING MESS!! Because of the 2 vaults, and different apps/devices seemingly going using either one, I have a ton of duplicate logins. It's hard to manage it all.

Sorry for going all caps crazy, but this has been a source of frustration for some time, and I would like to resolve this, and not switch to a competing password manager.

Can someone please please help me with this confusion??

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @TB5918

I apologize for the confusion and frustration. I'd be happy to help you get into a better state. The only vault you should be using is "Personal," and "Primary" should be deleted. Personal is the only one that will work with 1Password X. Before we jump in and do that, I'd like to check a few things:

1. Are you able to log in at https://start.1password.com/ ?
    2. If so, do you see all of your data, including any recent changes or additions?
    3. Do you have a copy of your Emergency Kit printed? Get to know your Emergency Kit

Please let me know and we can go from there.

Ben

• TB5918
    TB5918
    Community Member

Thanks for replying ben.

1. Yes, I can log in to start.mypassword.com
    2. It only shows my Personal Vault
    3. Yes, I have my Emergency Kit set up and printed
  • Great, thank you for confirming. Here is what I would suggest:

1. Move any items that you have added or changed recently from the Primary vault to the Personal vault: https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/
    2. Delete the Primary vault: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Step 2 should be done on each device where a Primary vault exists. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• TB5918
    TB5918
    Community Member

Okay, will do this. I'll need to compare logins between vaults, as some were saved to one or the other. With 1180 items altogether, this will take a long time to sort the most recent passwords and delete the older ones. I really wish the 2 vaults thing never happened. Such a pain.

• @TB5918

If you're using 1Password for Mac you can sort your items by 'date modified' using the selector below the search bar. That may help expedite the process. We are working on making it less likely someone will retain the Primary vault after migrating to membership. At the moment we offer a choice of keeping it or not. Going forward that will be more automatic.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.