Improved search - am I doing it wrong?

Options
atcruice
atcruice
Community Member

With the recent update to 1Password for Mac, https://blog.1password.com/1password-7-3-for-our-life-in-miniature/, the update content made it sound like there were wonderful usability improvements to be had. My recent experience has been that the recent changes have slowed me down. I'm a bit of an evangelist for using 1Password at my place of work. I'd often advocate that I'm faster for using 1Password - it used to save me time. These recent changes have caused me to falter a little.

Scenario: multiple accounts with one service that has login with email and password split as two steps (e.g.: Google)

Previous behaviour
1. use keyboard shortcut to bring up 1Password mini in browser
2. list was already filtered to those matching the current tab's website 👍
3. use arrow keys to select account I wish to use, press enter, email is populated
4. press enter again to submit email, password is presented
5. use keyboard shortcut to bring up 1Password mini
6. previously used selection is still selected (🙌 awesome! 👏👏👏), press enter
7. press enter again to submit password

Updated behaviour
actions the same up to step 6
6. previous selection is not retained 🤨 um, I guess I'll try the handy, all-new, improved, speedy search
7. type in a few letters, list is filtered to any results from the entire vault, even those those that don't apply to the current website 🤦‍♂️
8. delete search terms and return to using arrow keys to find account
9. hold on a second… WTF?! How are these entries even sorted??? Certainly not alphabetically, and not by frequent/recent usage 🤦‍♂️

Am I doing this wrong?
How do other users organise multiple accounts with the same service?
How are other users streamlining their interactions given the recent changes?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90 (Firefox)
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: Business

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@atcruice - yep, this one is definitely a regression; we're sorry. Fortunately, you're not the first to notice it, and our developers already have submitted a fix for it. Don't quote me or anything, but assuming nothing awful and unexpected crops up regarding it, you should see the fix in the next public beta. If you'd like to join us on the beta, simply click Preferences > Updates and check the "Include beta builds" box. Otherwise, you'll see it in the next stable release as well (again, assuming all goes well). Thanks for taking the time to let us know, and apologies again for the issue.

ref: apple-3732

• atcruice
    atcruice
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Lars, I'll jump on the beta release channel.

• Peter_Pappas
    Peter_Pappas
    Community Member
    Options

Man, you aren't kidding. And the response is that a lot of people wanted that. How frustrating, from a very excellent user experience we got downgraded to the experience not logging in anymore because Apple won't allow it. Not 1P's fault, but something we had to get used to.
    So now settled in with that and now all the easy ways to get to a web site have been stripped down again. Exactly who are they working for? When a program is a part of your daily (actually interday) routine and the rug is just pulled out from under you it is just frustrating. Then the insipid and smug responses just add fuel to the fire. This is my moment to vent, so just suck it up lol. To go to my simple places now like my bank, my stock house, and other easy places are a chore to do and now require typing or are not smooth transitions.

For example, I thought I knew how to beat this new change, start assigning Favorites right? Well, the lousy think-through monster strikes here again. If you click on the Favorites pull-down menu it doesn't stay. You have to click it each time you click the 1P icon in the task bar. And that whole experience when clicking that icon can't be called anything but a mess. So on Amazon's 5 star rating system, 1P is now a 1 star product, when just a few years ago I was suggesting it to everyone I know. Not anymore, now I am struggling to keep my head above water lol.

The problem is the thinking-flow in management. It has gone from mature smooth thinking to knee-jerk responses that the company has to deal with, and that gets transported down to the user. It is kind of like then newer thinking of today, you buy a major corporation and then rename it and strip out all it has stood for just because you can. Like Buying Macy's and renaming it Christina's cause your granddaughters name is Christina. Like they sold the WaldorfAstoria and now are gutting it to build in new stuff and embed the building with spyware - the Chinese bought it. The US government no longer approves of it as a place that US employees are authorized to use. 1P was fast and smooth to use, now it is not. Simple and to the point.

Moral of the story, prime objective, try as hard as possible not to make a drastic change in a persons daily routine. Not hard to do. The correct response to the excuse "people wanted this" was to make a stripped down version to accommodate them. I am "people" and I certainly DO NOT want this experience I have to work with 1P. Hope this makes it into the meetings so you don't jerk people around as if they don't matter. It matters, trust me. But this is my own 2 cents and my own rant. Some smart A is going to say something snippy, and all that does is chip away the good-will collateral that gets built up over the years. Okay, my rant is over, not that it matters, but I feel better now lol.

Peter
    Miami, Florida

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Peter_Pappas - thanks for the feedback.

Moral of the story, prime objective, try as hard as possible not to make a drastic change in a persons daily routine.

We do. But we keep in mind that we've got millions of users with all sorts of different routines, so literally any change we make is likely to break or at least alter some subset of our users' workflow.

The correct response to the excuse "people wanted this" was to make a stripped down version to accommodate them.

It isn't. We're just not going to make any kind of 1Password Lite version and have to maintain a parallel-track-but-somewhat-different set of two different UIs, functions, and potential problems/issues.

I am "people" and I certainly DO NOT want this experience I have to work with 1P.

You made that clear. ;) And, as I mentioned to @atcruice, the issue in their original post has been addressed internally and - assuming other things remain equal - the fix should be available in an upcoming release soon. :)

The problem is the thinking-flow in management. It has gone from mature smooth thinking to knee-jerk responses that the company has to deal with, and that gets transported down to the user. It is kind of like then newer thinking of today, you buy a major corporation and then rename it and strip out all it has stood for just because you can. Like Buying Macy's and renaming it Christina's cause your granddaughters name is Christina. Like they sold the WaldorfAstoria and now are gutting it to build in new stuff and embed the building with spyware - the Chinese bought it.

I'm not certain I understand what you were getting at here, but for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, AgileBits was founded in 2006 by Dave Teare and Roustem Karimov. They are our founders, and they still work here every day alongside the rest of us. In fact, depending on what you ask, as well as when and where, you may get an answer directly from one of them to a question right here on this forum. We've not taken a drop of venture capital funding and we've actively resisted offers of acquisition from deep-pocketed corporate parents. In other words: although we've grown significantly since 2006, we're at base the same group of people, and we don't owe any consideration to anyone other than you, our customers, as well as our own sense of what makes the best password manager. As our userbase has grown, greater numbers of people with various viewpoints about what that actually means have become users, and these days, it is literally impossible to make everyone happy. We'll keep trying to make the best password manager we can, and we'll keep listening to your feedback. Thanks for taking the time to share it. :)

This discussion has been closed.