"Sign in to your 1Password account to continue" keeps popping up

This just started happening in the last few hours. It popped up, so I clicked it and signed in. 15 minutes later it happened again, and 15 minutes later again.

Pressing close doesn't seem to stop anything, so it seems the dialog is showing up for a false positive.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cpmcgrath: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately without some basic information you've omitted from your post it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and browser versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, that behaviour is expected when 1Password X has not yet been set up -- so, if you've just installed it. But that will also essentially be the state of things if you're "resetting" something in your browser, or you have settings or extensions that are interfering with normal operation. So if there's anything like that involved, it would be good to know. Thanks in advance! :)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@cpmcgrath: You are receiving this notification because 1Password X encountered an error while authenticating with our servers to sync item changes. This is expected behavior if you've recently changed your e-mail address, Master Password, Secret Key, or changed any Two-factor authentication settings but shouldn't happen again after you've signed in to 1Password.com once (clicking the notification will take you to the correct sign-in domain).

Could you please email a copy of your 1Password X extension logs to support+x@1password.com the next time you encounter this notification? That should give me an idea of what is causing the authentication error and hopefully why your account is not getting updated. Please include a link to this post in your message.

After sending along those logs, you can try removing your account and re-adding it on the settings page, and that should resolve whatever the underlying issue here is.

Thanks! 🙌

• cpmcgrath
    cpmcgrath
    Community Member

Hi, I've been getting this message again for the last month. Basically every time I sign into 1password X.

I reached the point where I uninstalled 1Password X and reinstalled it just to try and stop this message, but even that didn't stop it. signing in on the form the pops open isn't required to keep using it.

If you could look into why this keeps happening it would be great! (Chrome 74, 1password X 1.15.2)
    I'll try to email you the extension logs soon

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @cpmcgrath! Thanks for letting us know you've run into a similar issue. I'm curious to learn more about your account and figure out what's causing this sync issue.

I’ve got a couple questions to start off:

• Have you changed anything on your account recently? (e.g. enabled 2FA, changed your Master Password, updated your email)
    • When you close the additional tab and choose not to authenticate, are you able to save a new Login item in 1Password X or do you get some sort of error?
    • Do you happen to have multiple accounts signed into 1Password X simultaneously?

Next, I’d like you to send a copy of your logs so we can take a closer look. We’ve got a handy guide on how to gather your logs here. Please attach them to your response back to me so my team and I can take a look!

• cpmcgrath
    cpmcgrath
    Community Member

Have you changed anything on your account recently? (e.g. enabled 2FA, changed your Master Password, updated your email)

No, had 2fa from the beginning, email has never changed, master password is about a year old

When you close the additional tab and choose not to authenticate, are you able to save a new Login item in 1Password X or do you get some sort of error?

I don't think there's any errors. I did notice the other day an item I had updated in 1Password for Windows hadn't been updated in X yet. I think a plain log out login fixed that.

Do you happen to have multiple accounts signed into 1Password X simultaneously?

Yes, I have a work and personal account. It's mainly the work one that complains.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much, @cpmcgrath! We're actively investigating a bug that seems to fit the bill here. It sounds like we've nailed it down, so I don't need any more info from you as of right now. I'll add you to the list of affected users so we can reach out once it's resolved, though!

ref: x/b5x#1271

• cpmcgrath
    cpmcgrath
    Community Member

Awesome! Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for bringing it up! :)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

Hey @cpmcgrath! I'm just wondering if you'd be willing to give the 1Password X beta a try and let me know if you're still experiencing the same issue. If you'd rather stick with the stable build, a fix should be making its way there very soon. :lol:

• cpmcgrath
    cpmcgrath
    Community Member

🙌Definitely keen. Will installing it keep me on the beta track until I uninstall it, or will it get me back on the stable track when the release is out?

• cpmcgrath
    cpmcgrath
    Community Member

Don't worry, seeing how to install the beta answered my questions. So far it's looking promising!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! Indeed, the beta is a separate extension in the Chrome Web Store, so it will continue to be updated to the next beta available as long as you have it installed, but you can always install the stable version instead at any time. Cheers! :)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@cpmcgrath – Just wanted to drop in to let you know the issue should be resolved in the stable version of 1Password X as well. You're absolutely welcome to remain on the beta, but you can choose to install the stable version instead if you wish. :)

• Lenny3200
    Lenny3200
    Community Member

Hello,
    I'm having this problem. I just changed my 2 factor authentication from Google to Authy. I can sign in fine. But Every 30 min or so, it asks me to sign in again. I deleted the account in settings, and I thought it went away for a bit. But now it is back asking me to sign in again.

• Lenny3200
    Lenny3200
    Community Member

Hello,
    I'm having this problem. I just changed my 2 factor authentication from Google to Authy. I can sign in fine. But Every 30 min or so, it asks me to sign in again. I deleted the account in settings, and I thought it went away for a bit. But now it is back asking me to sign in again.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Lenny3200! Could you try removing 1Password X completely and reinstalling it? I'm curious if that'll reset things enough. If you're still receiving the same notification, we'll want to see a copy of your logs. You can find our guide here. You're welcome to either post them here or send them via email to support+x@1password.com. Let me know how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.