Fingerprint Option Not Always Showing in 1P

Options

I've got a Lenovo P51 ThinkPad laptop. My startup routine is open the lid, lay my index finger on the builtin fingerprint reader, and wait a few seconds for Windows 10 to load. It doesn't happen a lot but the fingerprint reader (Unlock with Windows Hello) does not always appear in the1Password app or the FireFox extension. I've restarted the computer when this happens and it still doesn't appear. I give up and key in my Master Password when this happens.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so have you been able to figure out a solution?

TIA
Jim
P.S. The "How to find 1Password version?" link at the bottom of the form doesn't take you to a relevant page.

1Password Version: 73.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jimmacmillan,

Once 1Password is terminated or the computer is shut down, you'll have to unlock with the Master Password first before Windows Hello can be used again.

This behaviour is intentional for security reasons: you will always have to unlock 1Password first with your Master Password but for the rest of that computer session, you can use Windows Hello. In order to make Windows Hello work all the time, we'd have to store a version of your Master Password somewhere on the computer and we are not comfortable with it at the moment.

Please let me know if this is what happens in your situation. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• jimmacmillan
    jimmacmillan
    Community Member
    Options

H Greg,

That all makes sense.

I don't shut the computer off. I have it set to go to sleep when I close the lid. I don't lock or exit the app unless I need to force an update to the cloud and that's pretty rare.

This morning I opened the lid and let the computer read my fingerprint, launched the 1P app by right clicking on it in the system tray, and clicked on "Open 1Password App". The fingerprint reader option was available. Go figure?!

Thanks
    Jim

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jimmacmillan,

I agree, it does sound inconsistent and strange. Is it possible that 1Password 7 crashes in the background and you launch it from scratch when you wake your laptop? If you find any additional info, it will be really helpful. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.