1Password has been saving files to my computer, but I want to remove them & keep files online only.

danlevine12
danlevine12
Community Member

I booted up an older computer and logged into my 1Password account.
Apparently, it was only synching locally - so all my outdated information is there.
I want to remove this information from the machine without affecting my current logins (currently stored somewhere in the cloud).
Then, I'd like to log out of this machine and let someone else log in.
How do I do this?

Thanks!
Dan

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:local

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @danlevine12! I'm sorry for the confusion.

I booted up an older computer and logged into my 1Password account. Apparently, it was only synching locally

"1Password account" and "only syncing locally" are mutually exclusive statements. While it's possible to have standalone 1Password data that's not part of a 1Password account, if you have a 1password.com account, your data is not synced locally or via any of our advanced 3rd party methods like Dropbox or iCloud. 1password.com accounts are synced via the 1password.com servers, always.

If this is an older Mac on which you've previously had 1Password for Mac installed, can I ask what your goal here is? Do you want to give the computer to someone else, or sell it? If so, you should be removing EVERYTHING, and handing over a freshly-clean-installed copy of macOS. If you just have someone else in the household/office/whatever who wants to use the device (and you don't want them to have any access to your 1Password data even potentially), delete the 1Password app and/or fully remove not only the app but all your data. Can you clarify what the specific situation on this Mac is, and what you'd like to be able to accomplish? Thanks. :)

• danlevine12
    danlevine12
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response, Lars.

We are trying to remove one 1Password user from the computer & let a new person put their 1Password account on said computer.

I deleted the 1Password application, andbutas I suspected, we still have 351 1Password files on the computer.

• danlevine12
    danlevine12
    Community Member

I also want to make sure that when I wipe these files I will not affect the old user's account.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@danlevine12 - the best way to do what I think you're telling me you're trying to do is via the use of separate user accounts on the Mac itself. macOS is specifically set up for this, and it allows for much greater flexibility than trying to manage multiple users or "profiles" within the context of a single macOS user account that multiple people have access to...for reasons you're now discovering.

1Password for Mac stores your local copy of your data in /Users/(username)/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data -- and the only way to change that is to reset (erase) the data completely within 1Password for Mac's interface and then begin again as a completely new user. But if you simply have another user account on the Mac itself, then both users can still use the Mac -- not at the same time, of course, but each person can sit down and sign into their own user account, and macOS will keep track of their data separately, because the (username) in the above file-path will have a different username.

Can I ask: if you open 1Password for Mac right now and click Preferences > Vaults, what do you see? How many vaults are there, and what are their names?

This discussion has been closed.