1password for 2 people. Two accounts? or 1password family?

Options
Doug0915
Doug0915
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Families

I'd like to get my wife using 1password, but am wondering what is the pros/cons and cost of family vs 2 accounts.

It would be just myself and my wife. I already have an account. What does Agilebits recommend? What do others recommend for just 2 people?

thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Doug0915! :)

In your case I will strongly recommend a 1Password Families account. Because you already have an account, you can upgrade it to a Families one. This way, you can also use password sharing with your wife, and a lot more features, which I believe you and your wife will find useful in your day to day life.

cost of family vs 2 accounts.

A Families account would be cheaper than two Individual accounts. You can see all the pricing information here.

If you choose a Families account you can convert your Individual account to a Families account in the settings. Here is how to do it:

1. Sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
    2. Click on the Invite link in the menu to invite your wife and convert your account in the process

I hope this helps!

• Doug0915
    Doug0915
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! That helps a lot!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Doug0915, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to get back to us anytime, we will be happy to help you. :)

Have a wonderful day!

• gbeedy
    gbeedy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. We are just starting on 1Password and this thread is helpful.
    In a families setup can you share some passwords but have others private to just one person?

Also, we are getting older and want to make sure that if something happens to me or both of us our daughters can easily access our important info if needed. How is it best to do that, especially if they don’t have access to our devices? For example something happens to us while traveling far away? How do we set this up so my daughters/heirs can get access when needed? Thanks, Greg

• Ben
    Options

@gbeedy

In a families setup can you share some passwords but have others private to just one person?

Yes, absolutely. Each person should set up their own account within the 1Password Families membership. Each will then have their own unique Personal vault, which the other cannot see or interact with. There will also by default be a "Shared" vault, which each person will have full access to. You can store items you want to share there, or if you prefer you can create and customize your own shared vaults:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

Also, we are getting older and want to make sure that if something happens to me or both of us our daughters can easily access our important info if needed. How is it best to do that, especially if they don’t have access to our devices? For example something happens to us while traveling far away? How do we set this up so my daughters/heirs can get access when needed?

There have been a few threads on "estate planning" etc here on the forum. I'm not sure there is really a consensus. It is likely a topic each individual should evaluate for themself to determine what their needs are and what their comfort level is. For example, some folks might be comfortable simply inviting their heirs to their 1Password Families membership, and putting all of their data in a vault that is shared with the heirs. Alternatively one might consider giving their heirs the Family Organizer role, and also giving the heirs access to their email account. Then at the appropriate time an heir can put the person's account through recovery to gain access:

Recover accounts for family or team members | 1Password

But the solution I prefer is storing a copy of my Emergency Kit, with the Master Password filled in, with the attorney who will be handling your estate:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

The catch with this is if you ever change your Master Password or Secret Key you need to generate a fresh copy of this document and have the attorney shred the old one.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• gbeedy
    gbeedy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. This is helpful.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. Happy to help. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.