1Password 7 doesn't close properly when updating

gregory_j
gregory_j
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

I have 1Password7 installed via the AppStore. One of the selling points of 1Password 7 is that it was supposed to be easy to install and update via the App Store, but due to the hassle of having to manually quit out of 1Password before being able to update, it is literally one of the most annoying things I have to deal with on my Mac.

Here is what I am talking about:

Why is it so annoying?

• It says "click continue to quit", but when I click continue it doesn't quit. The message goes away for about 10 seconds and then pops up again.
  • So I have to open 1Password in order to quit. But my vault needs to be unlocked in order for me to quit - so I need to type my password first. Why oh why did you remove the ability to quit without logging in first in 1Password 7?
  • Despite saying "the application will open when the update is complete", it doesn't reopen. I have to reopen it manually.
  • This wouldn't be such an issue except for the fact that you guys release minor updates all the time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ddhatfi
    ddhatfi
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem, except I can't get 1Password 7 to ever close, so the message you show above NEVER goes away! It just keeps popping up every few seconds and the program never updates. Thanks for posting this!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

1PW needs to be COMPLETELY closed, that is, the Mini needs to be closed as well as the main app. There are several ways of doing that. One way is to open the Mini (or the extension) and click the gearwheel which gives the option to quit completely. Another is to use ctrl-option-cmd-Q instead of just cmd-Q. A third is to hold ctl-option while going to the 1PW menu, and you can then see the relevant menu item.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @gregory_j! Sorry for the annoyance. If it helps, this situation has been addressed in the current 7.2 release of 1Password 7 for Mac. It won't help for upgrading to 7.2, but it should eliminate this problem for everything after 7.2, in other words: the next update. for now, @danco's advice is correct; Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) before attempting to update 1Password, and it should work just fine (for you too, @ddhatfi).

• mkassarjian
    mkassarjian
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. I have done Ctrl-Option and chosen Quit from the menu, and I have also done Ctrl-Option-Cmd-Q. And neither solves the problem.

More details. This problem appeared after I just upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave. I am currently running Max OS Mojave 10.14 on a Macbook Pro (15-inch 2018). I am running 1Password 7.0.7. Before I did the Ctrl-Option sequence, I was getting the pop window below repeatedly from the Application Store.
    "1Password cannot be open during installation. Click Continue to quit "1Password 7" and begin the update. The application will open when the update is complete".
    Then I saw this forum and I did the Ctrl-Option sequence, and then I rebooted. Now I see this message popup instead from the Application Store:
    "1Password 7 is being updated. 1Password 7 cannot be opened while it is being updated."

• mkassarjian
    mkassarjian
    Community Member

Problem resolved itself. 1Password updated itself to Version 7.3 and the pop-up windows disappeared.

• I'm glad to hear this is resolved for you @mkassarjian. Thanks for the update.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.