I want to use Autofill to fill in data on web sites using different languages

Autofill works successfully of course on web sites communicating in English, but I also need to be able to use it with web sites in different languages, so that the identifier token "Credit card number" &tc may be something completely different.
What's the preferred way to handle this ?

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:autofill different languages

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Big_D,

For Credit Card and Identity items the detection of a fields purpose is hardcoded inside of 1Password. If you find filling with a Credit Card or Identity item doesn't work for a particular site the best thing to do is report it to us so we can learn where 1Password is weak and look towards fixing it. 1Password is stronger when it comes to sites in English than some other languages and that is something we will need to improve on.

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member

Okay. I think that I've seen some "foreign" sites where fill hasn't worked. I'll be more careful now and make a specific note of them.

• Sounds great @Big_D. Please do let us know if you come across filling issues on any specific sites so we can investigate them and work on fixes for them. :)

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member

Here at last is an example for you, from the payment web page of a large Icelandic credit card company.
    1Password credit card fill didn't work here.
    https://greidslusida.valitor.is/default.aspx

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing this @Big_D! Unfortunately this is what I get when I try to open that link:

:(

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member

Ah. Everything depends on context …
    Try this to reproduce the situation. It takes a little bit of work but has no financial consequences:
    Access URL https://heillandihugur.is/products/oll-namskeid. Select a product with non-zero cost, click on “Setja í körfu”.
    On the next screen fill i the required information as shown. e.g. 0101456789 / NN / bb / 101 Miðbær / 1234567 / a@b.co / / √
    Click on “Staðfesta pöntun”.
    Voilà!
    If this doesn’t work or you need more information let me know.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

Thank you @Big_D! That was perfect, and I managed to reproduce this on my machine.

I will now open an internal issue so our developers can take a look at this and see if there is anything we can do to make 1Password fill on this page too :)

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#516

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member

Hi!
    Here's another Icelandic web site, this time a widely-used ticket purchasing web service, tix.is, where 1Password Autofill doesn't find the credit card number field.
    Make it happen! :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Big_D!

I have just tested this and 1Password was able to fill the credit card number on that website for me. It's been a while since your first report, so can you please confirm what 1Password version and 1Password browser extension version you are using right now?

Thank you!

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member

Hi again.
    1Password version 7.3; Firefox browser extension 4.7.4.90.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Big_D - for what it's worth, that combination works just fine for me here as well. I'm not sure what might be causing it on your end. Is your version of Firefox up to date? What version are you using?

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member

Firefox is at 66.0.5, which I think is up to date.

Maybe this is a false alarm on my part. Something untoward came up – I forget now precisely what – and maybe I jumped too quickly to my anticipated conclusion. :p I’ll check ...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Big_D - 67.0.1 is the current stable FF release, but I would find that a less-likely culprit (though it's definitely a good idea to update). Let us know what you discover. :)

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Ah – I see now what’s happening.
    When using Autofill the credit card number (stored in 1Password in the form “nnnn nnnn nnnn nnnn”) was filled into the field ‘Gjafakort’ (Gift card) which appears previous to the credit card number on the screen.

1Password Version: 7.3
    Browser: Firefox 66.0.5
    Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
    OS Version: OS X 10.13.6

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Big_D: Are you by chance logged in to the website? I could not find a page with a gift card field to test this.

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member

Your conjecture seems to be correct.
    I was indeed signed-in as a recognised user (you can just see the beginning of my name in the top right corner).
    Trying to purchase a ticket without signing in resulted in a web page without the gift card field.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

Thank you for the confirmation @Big_D! I will open an internal issue so our developers can look at this ;)

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#587

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member

Hello.
    Here’s another Icelandic web commerce site where 1Password credit card info autofill doesn’t work ... :-(
    URL: vefverslun.valitor.is

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know @Big_D .
    I get an empty page when trying to access it but will ask the team to check it out.

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member

Okay; maybe context matters.
    Begin at https://shop.hydraflot.is/collections/tilbod , select something on offer there (“Sale”) ; select “Add to cart” and follow the path.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the context @Big_D
    I have taken a look at that payment form. Looking at the page's HTML code, this is what the website's developers called the credit card number field: "ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_txtKortnumer"

So obviously, 1Password doesn't understand that this is indeed a credit card field. It is crucial for website developers to have standard naming conventions in order to make their website as user friendly as possible, both for users and for 3rd party apps.

However, I have tested this website with 1Password X beta and it did somehow managed to fill in the credit card number (but failed in the other fields like the date and cvv). I will forward it to our devs and hopefully someday 1Password will be able to read and understand such crazy variables names :)

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member

Well, yes indeed; that’s the nub of the problem.
    “I want to use Autofill to fill in data on web sites using different languages ...”
    But we can’t really expect everybody in the world to code in or use data names in English ...

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@Big_D The website itself can be in any language you (or the devs) want, but programming is done in English and certain standards exist. Here's a quick example: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2015/06/checkout-faster-with-autofill#common_attributes

I'm not saying we expect everyone to do the job properly and we'll just sit back and relax - because we're not. We're working 24/7 on improving autofilling logic and 1Password's abilities, but that doesn't mean that web developers get a free pass either ;)

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

:) I get the point – bad/careless/evil developers. :p

The world isn’t a perfect place and never will be.
    How about : if the date field names are not in English then as an alternative/line of last resort look at field attributes – length, data type, etc – and go on from there ? I don’t know whether that’s feasible; it’s literally many decades since I did any coding. (I cut my teeth on Fortran - remember that ?)

• Big_D
    Big_D
    Community Member

(In the good old days when computers had some heft:

• Thank you for the ideas, @Big_D. We'll certainly see what we can do! As @Yaron mentioned, we won't ever stop making the autofill experience better from our side. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.