Imported Data from 1PW

Fury
Fury
Community Member

Since I couldn't get much help with my previous post on data differing between accounts (Mac section), I elected to try (against my better judgement) 1pw.com subscription to see if it would help with syncing. I used the app to export per your instructions into a CSV file. I then imported that file into 1pw.com. All of my logins are now titled "Login" instead of the previous title (e.g. Apple ID, Gmail, etc.) and there is no data in the Credit Card or Identities categories so all of my data is unusable.

I tried to import using the all fields options and fewer fields option and no difference. What's really irritating is I couldn't just pick my vault to import from. I had to create a CSV where the fields are all in disarray.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Fury

There is no import necessary when going from standalone to 1Password.com. Could you please point us to what it is that gave you that impression? Instructions on migrating can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Ben

• Fury
    Fury
    Community Member

Per my previous post, I had differing item counts between two accounts on a Mac sharing the same vault on a Shared folder. So I wanted to try a .com account to see if it helped with syncing. While during 1PW.com setup it copied from my user account on the Mac, that didn’t solve my issue. I still had to get hers imported then I intended to sort through the duplicates.

I had already reviewed the link you displayed above.

Not sure where to go from here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@Fury: Without any details whatsoever, it's hard to say. But are you actually missing anything? If it helps, 1Password accounts use Documents, which is a separate item, for files (where they would have had to be attached to another item in a local vault), so unless you have zero files in 1Password there should be a difference in item count. And if you still have the old vault in the app that will result in you seeing "duplicates" since the All Vaults view would include both that and the new one you copied the data too. Ben linked the migration guide because, again, as he said, there is no export/import involved in going from "standalone" to membership. If you're doing anything with a CSV, you'll have a bad time.

• In addition to what Brenty said the migration process doesn't copy things from the Trash. Item counts between standalone and membership vaults are not necessarily going to match, for a number of reasons.

The entire migration process happens within the 1Password apps, without creating any new files (like a CSV file).

Ben

• Fury
    Fury
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

@brenty
    So, yes, I am missing information. To reiterate, I currently own a standalone license. The vault resides on the Shared folder on my Mac. There are two accounts on the Mac both using 1pw and both pointing to the same shared file location for the vault. Syncing is done through WLAN server. Each account has a different secret code to access that same vault through the WLAN sync and we are both able to use the same master password to access our data. However, there is a difference in item count between her 1pw app and my 1pw app. That's the crux of my initial problem. Why there is a difference between two accounts using the same vault I don't know. We have been using this for almost 8+ years without an issue.

So I thought I'd try the 30 day demo of the .com subscription hoping to "combine" the datasets (hers and mine). During setup I was able to port my data from my 1pw app on my Mac account to 1Password.com. But I can't seem to find a way to add my wife's data from her 1pw app (as it contains more/different data than mine does). This is why I tried using the CSV file exported from her app. But it didn't format correctly. And I don't feel confident just using hers as the master set as I'm not sure where the differences actually are. She has more items but that doesn't mean she's not missing items I have.

Sorry for the frustration but we use your app everyday and are thankful for it (and promote it to everyone we know). I feel like I'm going to have to start from scratch and with 190 logins and 296 items that's not something I really want to undertake.

@Ben
    To clarify, I'm not comparing item counts between cloud and folder versions. Only standalone versions resident on the same machine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

there is a difference in item count between her 1pw app and my 1pw app. That's the crux of my initial problem.

@Fury: Unless you are both literally using the same 1Password account, the item count will almost certainly be different, and not a problem.

I think it would be helpful if you'd describe the state you're in (not merely "difference in item count" -- what vault(s) are the items in?) and tell us the steps you've taken to get there. Otherwise we're just making guesses based on a lack of detail.

I don't see any reason why you'd need to "start from scratch" when you seem to have your data. So let's take a step back and start with the basics. Where do you have a complete copy of your 1Password data?

• Fury
    Fury
    Community Member

My vault resides in the shared folder on my Mac and in a series of backups.

I PDF’d both hers and my logins from 1PW. She had 18 or so logins that didn’t exist in my list.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Fury: That really doesn't tell me anything about your current situation or how you got there, but it is helpful to know that you have the original vault on the Mac's local storage. I really think you're sending yourself on a bit of a tangent here, so I'll try to give you an example. I've been in the same situation, and this is what I'd do:

1. Sign up for 1Password Families membership and create your own account
    2. Migrate your own data (if any exists) from your original vault to your account's [A] Private vault
    3. Migrate shared data to the default family [B] Shared vault in the account
    4. Invite your wife
    5. Have your wife setup her own account under the family membership
    6. Have her migrate her own data to her own [C] Private vault in her new account
    7. Nothing else -- she already has access to the data you put in the family [B] Shared vault

At the end of this process, you will almost certainly have different item counts because [A]+[B] =/= [C]+[B] -- you each have your own data in one vault, and then another with shared data (which is the only thing that will be the same between you).

Does that make sense?

• Fury
    Fury
    Community Member

I think I understand and will try it. I only have one vault now. Will I be able to access passwords in different vaults without choosing a particular vault?

I’m not sure how I can better explain my situation to you either as I have no idea how I got here. I did notice all the extra logins were created by her. It’s as if the shared vault wasn’t updating for me. In the end, her All Item count and Logins count are higher than mine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think I understand and will try it.

@Fury: Not knowing what you've done already, some of that might be redundant for you. I was just trying to give a full picture.

I only have one vault now.

Is your plan to use a 1Password Families membership, so you each have your own account and Private vault (in addition to any that are shared), or for both of you to use the same, individual 1Password account (where you'd use the same Master Password, etc.)?

Will I be able to access passwords in different vaults without choosing a particular vault?

You can use the All Vaults view to see data in all of them at once, or switch to a specific vault.

I’m not sure how I can better explain my situation to you either as I have no idea how I got here. I did notice all the extra logins were created by her. It’s as if the shared vault wasn’t updating for me. In the end, her All Item count and Logins count are higher than mine.

Above you said you have one vault. That would mean that you don't have a shared vault at all. For example, in 1Password Families you'd have at least two vaults by default: the Shared vault which everyone in the family can access, and then your own Private vault which no one else can access and which cannot be removed. So I'm not sure how you even have things setup now.

• Fury
    Fury
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

My plan was to continue to use the individual 1PW account where we share the same password but the fact some new passwords created aren’t showing up for both users is concerning and may push me to a Families membership.

By a shared vault, I mean from the Mac perspective. The file is on the Shared folder on the Mac accessible by each Mac user from their own 1PW Mac OS app. We have only one file and one password.

My trial Families membership isn’t set up yet. I’ve set it up several times but ended up deleting the data on the cloud as I couldn’t figure how to combine her data and mine.

I’ll try your suggestions. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Fury: Likewise, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Ultimately a lot of this will be up to you and your spouse to decide, but I can mention some things that should help based on your comments:

My plan was to continue to use the individual 1PW account where we share the same password but the fact some new passwords created aren’t showing up for both users is concerning and may push me to a Families membership.

Honestly, if both of you are okay with sharing everything -- all data, a Master Password, Secret Key, etc. -- an individual 1Password membership may be just fine. The only thing I'll say is that 1Password Families has the benefit of any Organizer in the family being able to help others recover their accounts if they get locked out. But if you have a solid backup plan with the Emergency Kit stored in a secure location in case either of you ever needs it, an individual account could be just fine. :)

Regarding the passwords you're not seeing, I'd start by checking that you have the same setup between all devices. Do you have a Primary vault on any of them still? What vault are the items in which you're having trouble finding elsewhere?

By a shared vault, I mean from the Mac perspective. The file is on the Shared folder on the Mac accessible by each Mac user from their own 1PW Mac OS app. We have only one file and one password.

Thanks for clarifying. That's not supported or recommended, as apps running on one user account will only be able to write files as that user, not the other. So one person will likely end up "owning" some of the data, and vice versa. These are the supported sync options:

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

My trial Families membership isn’t set up yet. I’ve set it up several times but ended up deleting the data on the cloud as I couldn’t figure how to combine her data and mine. I’ll try your suggestions. Thanks.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. When you do sign up, I'd start by migrating your own data, and then once you have that setup the way you want, it will be simple to invite your wife to setup her own account and migrate her data, as the shared stuff will already be done.

But definitely reach out when you're ready to do that. Happy to assist. :)

• Fury
    Fury
    Community Member

@brenty
    To follow up, I was able to setup Families, migrate my data, invite my wife, make her an organizer as well, migrate her data and then I took her dataset - which likely was more inclusive than mine - and created a vault that is shared with me. Both iPhones are set with that particular vault only on the 1PW app to eliminate duplicate items between private and shared vaults.

Looking back, I think we were able to manage as long as we did with the previous setup was because I was generating the passwords primarily. Once she started to create new passwords on her Mac account, we were unable to sync correctly. The current setup solves that.

Sorry for being thick and thanks again for your help and patience. I appreciate it. I still do love 1PW. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of brenty and Ben, you are welcome @Fury! I am happy to hear that everything is working properly :) And no need to apologize at all!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.