New 1Password version can't select the number of characters, numbers or symbols. [Intentional]

Options
CryHard
CryHard
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Mac

In the old version of the interface we could select the number of symbols, characters and numbers our random password would have. The new version does not allow for this and only has a tick-box to include them but no setting for how many of them should there be.

Why was this removed?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @CryHard

Thanks for taking the time to write in about the password generator changes. We're very interested in feedback on this subject, as we are considering how to best expose the power of the password generator. Could you please help us understand in what circumstance(s) you'd need to specify the exact number of digits or symbols, rather than simply if they should be included or not? Links to websites where a specific number is required would be helpful. The difficulty with the sliders was that they resulted in passwords that were less randomized than passwords generated without them. As one of the main goals of the password generator is to be random, more randomness is generally good. That said, there may be cases that we didn't account for when making this change, and so we'd like to better understand what those cases are.

I look forward to hearing more about how this change affects your workflow, particularly any specific examples where generating an acceptable password has become more difficult. Thanks!

Ben

• CryHard
    CryHard
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

There are plenty of websites, generally by government bodies, telephone companies etc that will not allow your password to have e.g more than one symbol (but do require at least one) etc. It's a pain because now I have to go back in the main 1Password interface to generate these passwords.

How are they made "less random" if you let the user decide the number of symbols etc present in a password? I don't think anybody ever complained about the passwords being "predictable". I just want what was available before to be available again. I'm not asking for an enormous new feature here...

Thanks.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2019
    Options

@CryHard

Could you please provide an example of a website with such a restriction? We're genuinely interested to hear about such cases, but I haven't seen any examples thus far.

Ben

• CryHard
    CryHard
    Community Member
    Options

I can't find an example at the moment. Will come back when I do.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CryHard, sounds good. Please keep us posted :)

Have a wonderful day!

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

This website specifies the number of special characters allowed to be used. I had to modify the generated password to satisfy the
    requirement. They even specified the type of special characters allowed.

https://eservice.washgas.com/Pages/Login.aspx

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

I have also had to edit my password in the same situations. I do not recall the site :blush: . I just edited and went on about my business, if I notice it again, I'll add it here.

• Ben
    Options

Sounds good @thightower :+1:

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@rlgleason51

The only requirement I see on that page is that at least one is required? They also actually seem to support a fairly broad range of symbols, broader than what we're now including in the generator:

At least 1 of the following symbols: ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + - = { } [ ] \ : ; " ' < > , . /

Ben

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Strange. My screen did not show that many symbols.

• Ben
    Options

@rlgleason51

Maybe we're looking at different pages? https://eservice.washgas.com/Pages/Registration.aspx

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlgleason51: It's entirely possible that they have a completely separate page with an entirely different set of requirements. I can't say that is the case here, but I've encountered that before with some other sites. Very disorienting. :lol:

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Bottom line, went back and saw your page. I would say I’m losing my mind, but did I ever have one?

• Ben
    Options

Heh. :)

If you do run across any other examples that seem to cause difficulties please let us know.

Ben

• schwaggy
    schwaggy
    Community Member
    Options

I want this feature back simply so I have more control over my special characters and numbers. I'm really not understanding the logic on why it was removed. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @schwaggy

Control for what purpose?

Ben

• schwaggy
    schwaggy
    Community Member
    Options

I guess it's not such a big deal... I do see that if I click the Numbers checkbox your algorithm actually adds more than one number on occasion. I just sometimes like to add many more numbers and symbols in longer passwords and have my own control.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @schwaggy. The problem with specifying a precise number of digits or symbols is one of entropy... The more precise you are in what you want the less random the outcome can be. Randomness is good in passwords.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.