Tags have disappeared in 7.3 for Mac

ghac1946
ghac1946
Community Member

I tag all my new passwords so I can locate them by the tags I assign. I just updated to Version 7.3 and they are not to be found on the new "improved" mini screen. I live and die by these tags where have they gone?

Also when I use to select 1Password by clicking your 1Password extension icon, from my browser URL window the mini screen would open away from the currently displayed screen. Now it is opening on top of the screen and I have to move it out of the way. Can this be controlled?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Safari preference says 1Password 7.3 from 1P 7
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: local only

Comments

• Hi there @ghac1946 . Thank you so much for the feedback. You're not alone here, and we are considering some changes we can make to bring tags back to mini. One thing we do have available in 7.3 is the ability to search for your tags in 1Password mini.

• ghac1946
    ghac1946
    Community Member

I suggest you make it an option like where you can elect to only display Favorites. Adding it to that dropdown would be nice. Then you could select to just see Tagged items. Also, please answer the second question I originally asked.

• Thanks for the feedback. Sorry we missed your second question there. Once you move the mini window it'll open in the spot you position it in unless you open mini by clicking on the icon in the menu bar (by the clock). If you do that it'll always open from the menu bar. I'd recommend opening it using the keyboard shortcut, which by default is ⌘ \.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• dennistully
    dennistully
    Community Member

I am fairly new to OnePassword.

I'd been using LastPass (and Roboform before that) but had heard a lot of good things about OnePassword, so I decided to try it out. I instantly loved it. One of the features I loved the most was the tags, and the ease and speed of finding my logins that way to launch a webpage was amazing. In fact, I liked it so much I went and tagged my million logins.

When the app updated this morning I was very unhappy to find those tags gone in the Safari extension. I don't really want to scroll through a million logins looking for the one I want, nor do I want to have to type, although I appreciate the option to do so.

I just want to throw my voice behind the return off the tags as well. Please.

• Thanks @dennistully. We're looking at how we might possibly bring tags into the mini interface going forward. I can't make any promises, but it is something we're looking at.

Ben

• tnferguson1
    tnferguson1
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

With over 850 items in my database tags are essential to the organization of my information. This functionality is a basic feature that should not have been removed from the mini interface. Removal really strips the ease of use for us.

• Hi @tnferguson1

We're happy to put further consideration into that, but I've got over 1000 items and have never felt the need to have a list of my tags in mini. Would you mind elaborating about what specific deficiencies you are finding, perhaps with some scenarios? What isn't search providing for you?

Thanks.

Ben

• tnferguson1
    tnferguson1
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

I use tags as a self defined set of categories. 1) Banking, 2) Boys (I have to manage the accounts for handicapped sons), 3) work accounts, 4) Shopping, 5) email accounts, etc. This way I can have sub-lists by categories I define.

For example when I want to check credit cards I go to that category and launch the cards I want to check. For the Boys I manage email addresses that have to do with their medical or financial accounts. The Tags allow me to see only that subset of accounts.

Please realize that this is a feature that existed in the product that we, your customers, find useful and important.

• ghac1946
    ghac1946
    Community Member

I use my tags in a Category fashion as well, For example; Pay Bills Online, Medical, Retirement, Utilities, etc. I started this in another Password Manager and was pleased to see the same functionality in 1Password when I was evaluating new Managers. It was one of my deciding factors in selecting it. I never used the other options in the mini screen. I would automatically scroll to the tags and ignore all the other choices. This is why I suggested making the display of Tags an option like you can select Favorites.

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member

Over the past few years there was a lot of time spent on convincing customers that Tags was the way to go, and a discussion I had online with Agilebits convinced me that getting rid of Folders and adopting Tags was right. I have to say it's been brilliant, and a great move on Agilebits' part raising the level of functionality.

Now the ethos seems to have changed, and everything has gone from order and functionality to a general software producer's methodology of a 'vomit' of everything in one row that no longer serves the customer. Try precise or detailed searches through Amazon, Google etc.

Please guys, after convincing everybody to go down the Tags route and then removing this major function - and selling point - from the system, is not a good move.

Have used 1P for years but - as mentioned by others - in one fell swoop it has become spectacularly less functional and a trial to use. Please note this is not about getting used to change, rather about the loss of functionality.

Lastly, what's the best and easiest way to go back to 7.2 as the balance between functionality and form was excellent.

Lastly again (really), I still have a brain of my own and don't need one to be so intuitive I have to spend three times as long doing something. Have just begun to recover from Siri in my old age so be kind!

Best

• @tnferguson1

Doing a search for "Boys," for example, should accommodate that workflow.

Ben

• Thanks for the feedback @ghac1946. :+1:

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2019

Hi @PJ1

Please guys, after convincing everybody to go down the Tags route and then removing this major function - and selling point - from the system, is not a good move.

Tags aren't gone; they can still be accessed by searching for them.

Lastly, what's the best and easiest way to go back to 7.2 as the balance between functionality and form was excellent.

We can't recommend using an older version. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. We'll continue to evaluate how we can best integrate tags into the 1Password experience. There is may very well still be room for improvement here.

Ben

• tnferguson1
    tnferguson1
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Yes, searching for the name of a tag like "boys" does work, HOWEVER, it also picks up any other reference that was made within an items using the the word "boys". This is not a good work around.

Tags may not be gone but the function in Mini was removed.

Just curious. Why remove functionality from a product? Was there a design concept or other reason? Taking away features is not a good business model. I will not be updating my wife's machine because of this loss and I would love to drop back to 7.2.6 also if possible.

You have a great product but have removed a very useful feature. Please reconsider your design. The new design enhances the aesthetic look of the product but should not have created loss of functionality.

• @tnferguson1

The reason behind the change seems to be to free up UI space to focus on items most relevant to the goals of mini. But as MrRooni mentioned above we are considering some changes we can make to bring tags back to mini. I can't make any promises on that, but it is something we've heard a fair bit of feedback on, and are looking into.

Ben

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member

A lot of other products that support search and tags allow for /tag, or #tag, or @tag to search only for the tag, not other information. Perhaps 1Password could benefit from such a (admittedly, power user) feature?

• I think at this point we're more likely to bring the list of tags back into the UI somehow, but that is an interesting idea. Thanks @rlh.

Ben

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member

@Ben I vote for a return of TAGs to mini. That is they way many of us are accustomed to working with the product and it seems shortsighted to change the UI by removing a core feature.

You said the TAGs feature was removed because it "seems to be to free up UI space to focus on items most relevant to the goals of mini. " Well, for many of us the TAGs are a relevant goal of using mini. You are really denying customers use of a feature that was touted in the past and has become relied upon.

Get your interface people on this now!

• Thanks for the feedback @lysander. :)

Ben

• westjam
    westjam
    Community Member

It feels that recent updates have added mouseclicks to my workflow, rather than streamline things. I, too, depend on tags. I used to just click once on the mini icon, and when I moved the mouse options would auto-expand. Then a change brought an extra mouseclick to choose favorites, tags, etc. Now this latest update makes it even less intuitive for me (clicking a pulldown instead of seeing my categories/tags). And without tags in the mini, I'm slowed down even more. Please bring tags back to the mini screen.

I'm also disappointed that opening the mini screen by clicking on the icon always draws the box right on top of everything, rather than where I left it. This adds more steps as well, because now I usually need to then drag the mini window away so I can see what's underneath.

Thanks for being so responsive to this thread. For my life, the 7.2 interface was the best mix of ease and interface.

• ThomasP
    ThomasP
    Community Member

I'm another long-time 1P user and have been using folders (mostly accessed from mini) to organize my info for websites that are in the same workflow. Folders have worked very well for me as they let me focus on only those sites I need for a particular workflow and, in one case, reminds me of related sites I might need to check for that workflow.

It appears that folders are dead (must've missed the memo that they were being obsoleted) and mine have been converted to tags with the latest 7.3 update. But these don't show up in mini and I need to open the main 1P window to see them.

Yes, I could search for it, but my preference is to use the structure of a list (e.g., grouped items) to ensure I've hit all relevant websites/apps for that workflow. Also, I have searched for tags (my old folder names) in mini, but it brings up many more items than are actually tagged as my folder names (now tags) are short and not especially unique, so many matches are found. For example, one folder, er, tag, is my first name--it has 14 items in it but searching for that tag in mini brings up about 100 items. I don't see how to fix this other than rename all the tags to something so unique that it won't pull non-tagged items into the search results.

Similar to others' comments, I find I'm much faster and efficient by using a mouse to click through my folders versus typing to search--YMMV. Having my info in folders, and available from mini, was key to my ease of use. Searching is not my primary way to use 1P and honestly slows me down more than using folders/tags to organize related items.

I'd ask Agile Bits to at least show tags in mini in future releases and consider ways to increase user efficiency. Thanks.

• We completely understand and can sympathize with how this may have affected your workflow, @westjam and @ThomasP. As @MrRooni mentioned, we are considering some changes we can make to bring tags back to mini :)

• ThomasP
    ThomasP
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

@Sabrina Having seen this issue in a few posts on the Forum, I feel like I'm being told by Agile Bits "You're not using it the right way", sorta like when Steve Jobs said folks weren't holding their iPhone 4 the right way if they had antenna issues. Not everyone is a power user or coder that rely primarily on keyboard controls or searching for app control/input. Many experienced users prefer to use other methods (along with keystrokes/searching, not in place of), such as folders or tags in 1P's previous versions of mini. Without them I've been forced to change my workflow, increase the number of keystrokes/clicks necessary, and do a kludge workaround involving renaming my tags to work within your mini search. Using mini now is, for this user, significantly less helpful and a pain. Reverting back to keeping the main 1P window open when I need 1P... progress?

Bring tags back to mini and optimize the mini window--seems to be a lot of wasted white space which takes up more screen space without adding value.

• @ThomasP I hear you. You aren't holding it wrong and I apologize if we're coming across as dismissive. That's certainly not our intention. We are working on changes that will address these concerns, but at this time we cannot make any promises or guarantees as to how or when these changes will be implemented because they are still a work in progress and subject to change before release. But we have heard everyone's concerns and we are taking them to heart :smile:

• @ThomasP @westjam @lysander @rlh @tnferguson1 @PJ1 @ghac1946 @dennistully I want to thank you all for the feedback here. We've published our first beta of 7.3.1 that works towards addressing the issues. You can read more about it here.

If you'd like to try out this update before we ship it you should install the beta from here: 1Password 7.3.1 beta for Mac

(This beta will automatically update to the stable version of 7.3.1 when it is released)

• dannyt
    dannyt
    Community Member

STOP IT!
    I am so tired of you guys screwing up my work flow and doing backward changes for change sake. I refuse to use any version of 7 because you so butchered the work flow of v6. I don't want to use short cuts for anything. I use a desktop with a mouse and it is much quicker that shortcuts. Bring back Mini like it is in v6. And by the way folders are not tags, folders are folders stop with the tag BS.

• Thanks for the feedback @dannyt. Folders were made redundant with the improvements we made to tags. Tags can now do just about if not everything that folders can. Keyboard shortcuts are not required for any action that I can think of... it should be possible to accomplish everything with a mouse.

Ben

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

@Ben "Keyboard shortcuts are not required for any action that I can think of... it should be possible to accomplish everything with a mouse."

Indeed it is. However, with each of the most recent releases, it has felt to me like AgileBits has intentionally made it progressively harder and more labor intensive (a greater number of clicks accompanied by increases in required mouse travel) for users to accomplish common steps by using only their mouse.

I have literally lost count of the number of times that AgileBits team members have responded to related complaints with a suggestion to use keyboard shortcuts (and, in my own case, an even more revealing question along the lines of "is there a reason why you're not using search / your keyboard to so that?").

Yes, there is. Many users - and I would suggest this includes the silent majority, who never visit these discussion forums, as they are regular punters rather than vociferous power users - prefer to use their mouse, and only their mouse, to accomplish daily navigation within your desktop app.

It feels to me that your latest reply is in a similar vein, being blatantly disingenuous in misrepresenting the nature of @dannyt 's comment that they "don't want to use short cuts for anything". Neither do I. Nor will I ever do so. I will stop using your app - and migrate my family subscription away with me - before I ever change my preferred input method.

Please start listening to your customers and stop patronizing them.

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

@Ben > Keyboard shortcuts are not required for any action that I can think of... it should be possible to accomplish everything with a mouse.

Indeed it probably is (other than when typing is required). However, it feels to me that, with each of its most recent software releases, AgileBits has made the user experience progressively harder (ie a greater number of clicks and/or more mouse travel being required) than previously for those users who prefer to use only a mouse to accomplish their regular, daily navigation within 1Password.

Alongside this, it also feels to me that the default assumption / attitude within the support team has been that users "should" be using their keyboard and/or keyboard shortcuts rather than the mouse-based input method that they prefer. I have literally lost count of the number of times that I have seen responses, on these discussion boards, from AgileBits staff suggesting the use of keyboard shortcuts in response to related complaints from those who prefer using their mouse. I would respectfully suggest that the silent majority (ie excluding the smaller number of vociferous power users) of customers expect to use only their mouse for routine navigation within your desktop app. I feel confident that you will simply lose their custom before you receive any feedback from them here.

Your own recent reply to me in a related thread "is there a reason you're not using the search field to bring up the item?" appears to evidence the support (and development) team's default assumption. As I replied in that thread "Yes. I use my mouse, not my keyboard. A use case / user preference that AgileBits seems to routinely disregard on an ongoing basis."

Your reply to @dannyt also feels to me to be disingenuous in misrepresenting their comment that "I don't want to use short cuts for anything. I use a desktop with a mouse and it is much quicker that shortcuts". As do I. And I will stop using 1Password and migrate myself, my family members and my annual subscription to a competitor product before I will change my preferred input method.

Please start listening to and respecting the views of your customers rather than patronising them and dismissing the important feedback that you are lucky enough to be receiving here.

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

@FragileBits Agree 100%. To me V6 was a really good user experience and I do not recall ever being motivated to post a negative comment on this forum. For whatever reason, maybe boredom, the Agilbits team makes random changes to the way the program works and then seems to criticize users "for doing it wrong."

On the plus side, the support team appears to be listening and I really hope that 7.3.1 or whatever returns us some of the lost and most useful functionality.

@MrRooni So you came up with this menu that is missing many useful controls:

Many of us were perfectly happy with this layout were all the controls were fully exposed and easy to understand and use with a mouse. It all gave immediate access to TAGS:

This discussion has been closed.