Expiry Reminder

hawkin
hawkin
Community Member

As an admin user for a few systems that has password expiration policy, it would have been great that 1Password stepped up the game and included an optional field to store a potential expiry that could be used to remind when the password is about to expire.

This feature could also cover credit card expiry (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/86921/feature-request-automatic-notification-of-expired-credit-cards#latest)

I have seen this request has been asked for alot through the times on these forums, but unfortuneatly the request has been argued not to be of need (and mostly closed):
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/73626/feature-request-expiration-date-reminders
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/656/suggestion-expiring-passwords-flagging-identical-password-use
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/66585/password-expiry
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/84286/feature-request-password-expiration-reminder
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/85200/feature-request-security-password-expiration
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/87246/may-we-have-a-setting-to-create-a-reminder-for-changing-our-password

I don't think its an argument that having strong enough passwords, this feature is not needed and should not be considered.

As I point out, the reason for this feature request is that other systems we have to abide by, does set theese requirements on us, and it would be more logical the password manager we use keep track of this for us. Not all systems are nice enough to give an heads up the password is about to expire either.

The workaround solution about using filter to show the last changed entries does not fulfill this need. It will be cluttered with all other new logins created and really does not help on the need of getting a notification to remember to change it.
And the other workaround to manually add this in the calendar outside of the app, is way to tedious and completely goes against having a specialized application for managing our password.

Keepass have this already, thought without the notification part:
https://keepass.info/features.html#lnktimes

As a long time user of 1Password (and just moved over to your service just recently), I hope you seriously consider this feature request as it would make an major impact on the password manager usefullness.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thank you for the very well worded and clearly well researched post.

We haven't written off that idea as something that we'll never do. In fact it's a feature that gets brought up internally relatively frequently. I personally think that it'd be a nice addition, as you mentioned... it's not necessarily because we want these expiring passwords, but we live in a world where sometimes those things are out of our control.

Rick

• hawkin
    hawkin
    Community Member

Thanks for confirming it has not been written off, and great to hear this has been brought up several times internally!

I hope I hear more about this in the future :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for bringing it up. :)

• AxelHenry
    AxelHenry
    Community Member

I would add my support for such a feature.
    What I would specifically like is an easy way to monitor expiry of subscription type software, which as you know is becoming much more ubiquitous (whether I like it or not).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know you'd like us to add remind feature. :)

• amurepinho
    amurepinho
    Community Member

Upvoting this. It would help me a lot with passport and credit card expiration 8-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

In 1Password for Mac version 7, you'll see these in Watchtower:

Cheers! :)

• pglezen
    pglezen
    Community Member

Does this mean we can add an Expiry Date field with a Date type to a record and Watchtower will keep an eye on it for us? I'd like to use this with SSL key/cert pairs that I store.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No. Watchtower checks the default "expiry date" fields in its templates, because it knows what those are. When you create custom fields, they don't mean anything to 1Password; they're just there for your use. You could use, say, a Membership item though.

• hawkin
    hawkin
    Community Member

Great progress but I still wish Login/Password items could have an optional expiry date field as well (in addition to passport and memberships that already has it).

To use membership item for Login items just to support this feature is cumbersome and a workaround I fear for future will be back and forth.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Once again, thank you for your feedback @hawkin. We appreciate you bringing this up and I can see how this could be useful to you.

• litvin
    litvin
    Community Member

How can I to vote for this feature request?

• @litvin

We don't have voting for features, as that would imply that features for 1Password are decided democratically. Customer feedback is one of the primary factors that decides what will get implemented and what won't, but it isn't the only factor, and so having "votes" would give an unfair assumption. But we'll certainly consider the fact that you'd like to see this as well. :)

Cheers.

Ben

• litvin
    litvin
    Community Member

Thank you @Ben

• No problem. :+1:

Ben

• Hurtigh
    Hurtigh
    Community Member

I strongly support this request, it'd be really good to get some kind of notice, say 3 months before you passport (or other equally important stuff) expires. Also, it's like the only thing I can think of still missing from 1Password!! :) Keep up the great work!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Hurtigh! Welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you very much for the feedback and your kind words!

Have a wonderful day :)

• manofspank
    manofspank
    Community Member

I agree with the rest here. It would be very handy to have configurable password-reminders. It`s the one feature that i am missing with 1Password.

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts on expiration reminders, @manofspank. :+1:

Ben

• nils_b
    nils_b
    Community Member

I have just noticed that my travel insurance has expired. The delivery time is 3 weeks - too late for my vacation. The details are in 1Password - including expiry date - and if I click on Watchtower and expiring I will be able to see it.

But it will so cool if 1Password also for the use case could cover my back and warn me 2-3 months before expiration (using app push and a warning sign in the app).

Please also be aware that sometimes the expiration date in mm/yy and sometimes it is dd/mm/dd. Keep up the great work!

/nils

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

@nils_b

But it will so cool if 1Password also for the use case could cover my back and warn me 2-3 months before expiration (using app push and a warning sign in the app).

Everything with an expiry date will have differing renewal policies so it may not be a feature which is introduced.

You can achieve what you want by inserting an extra field:

Actual Expiry Date (put the real date here)

and then in the "Expiry Date" section put the date you want reminding by (1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 5 months, whatever) and then Watchtower will alert you.

For reference you can still look at the "Actual Expiry Date" field you created to remind you when it actually expires. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for the kind words @nils_b! And welcome to the forum!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's a very good suggestion @gazu, thank you for sharing this! :+1:

• sullivanst
    sullivanst
    Community Member

+1 for this feature request here.

It's quite annoying if an Active Directory account's password expires and your access to the domain is only through Remote Desktop because RDP doesn't have change-password-before-you-can-log-in support.

It's worse if the domain only has two administrators and it happens to both of you at the same time.

Fortunately, AWS has an API for running PowerShell scripts on EC2 instances, but it was an uncomfortable moment until we learned that!

• Yikes! I can imagine. I'd suggest considering not having your AD admin account passwords expire, but that is a separate issue. :) Thanks for chiming in with your support of this feature request.

Ben

• vin1d
    vin1d
    Community Member

I am currently working at APKNite technology company and this company has an IT policy that requires me to change my network accounts' password regularly from 2 months to 6 months.
    I was wondering if there was any way for 1Password to star or mark the expiring passwords if there were plans to bring that feature into the future.
    Thanks in advance for your reply!

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• @vin1d

My apologies for the delayed reply. I've merged your thread with another on the same subject. We are considering how we might be able to tackle this situation, but it isn't something we're in a position to commit to at this point.

Ben

• MrBass
    MrBass
    Community Member

Stumbled on this post as I was searching to see if it was possible. Needless to say, it's an up-vote from me.

• :+1:

Ben

• plachy_jozef
    plachy_jozef
    Community Member

Hello.
    Same here.
    In our company we need to change the password every 3 month. Would be great to have also Expiration Date on password items.
    Thx for great software :)

This discussion has been closed.