[Feature Request] Ability to "Archive" Items to Exclude Them From View

mostlymarius
mostlymarius
Community Member

Scenario/Problem: In a team setup, we have credentials for, say, Google accounts pertaining to several of our clients.

Over time, many of these items no longer need to be visible as we've finished the relevant project, but we don't want to delete them necessarily because for repeat clients it makes it easier to be able to pick up where we left off rather than having to ask them for credentials each time.

All of these credentials accumulate and it becomes slower and slower to reach the items we want to see in 1P.

Proposed Solution: A global "archive" vault that can be used to store inactive items that need to be kept for whatever reason but should not be shown in 1P Mini or the main All Vaults list.

They can appear when performing searches if desired, but the goal would be to have a way to essentially designate items as either "active" or "inactive" and have their visibility toggled accordingly.

If this were the case, we could "archive" all the old client logins that we aren't actively using anymore and thus keep only active, relevant entries in 1P Mini and other interfaces, but be able to retrieve them easily if the need arose.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey @mostlymarius

I know it's not ideal, but there are two things you may try.

1) I believe that, if you Trash an item, it won't be permanently deleted, and thus, you could "store" those items there.

2) Alternatively, what I've done is to create a vault specifically for those items that I no longer use or want to delete in the future.

I have to say I'm not a 1Pass team member, so you should definitely wait for a response from them, but in the meantime, you could try any of these.

Have a nice week!

• mostlymarius
    mostlymarius
    Community Member

Thanks, Arturo!

Your second suggestion is what I had initially tried, but unfortunately, that doesn't resolve the issue since I like to keep "All Vaults" active in 1P Mini and the main app, meaning that all those items still appear. That would potentially work if I had all personal+work items in one vault and Archive as a second vault and just kept the first one visible, but our setup is more complex than that.

I appreciate the thoughts though—hopefully the team has some feedback too. :)

• Tonofpudding
    Tonofpudding
    Community Member

Did you know that you can customize your "All Vaults" view to show any custom selection of vaults by default, right?

This is exactly how I have my own account on my Family plan set up. I have an archive vault of logins for sites I haven't visited in years, a couple vaults shared with various family members, but All Vaults set to only show a couple of them.

The exact interface for the settings depends on your platform of course, but as far as I know all 1P apps support it.

• mostlymarius
    mostlymarius
    Community Member

Yup! But that doesn't apply to 1P Mini, which is where the problem primarily lies.

If I exclude a vault from "All Vaults" in the desktop app, I don't see those items in the main app, which is great, but when I go to a relevant site in the browser, items from that vault are still surfaced by 1P Mini so I'm still wading through tons of unnecessary items to find the ones I need to see.

• Tonofpudding
    Tonofpudding
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Does it? I never noticed that. Probably because I'm a weirdo that uses both the 1P Desktop app for management stuff, but also the 1P X standalone extension in the browser instead of Mini lol.

If so, then that's definitely a bug, 1P Mini should use the same All Vaults settings as the main app...

• @mostlymarius

But that doesn't apply to 1P Mini

It does. Or at least, it is built to do so. I have a ton of items in a "test" vault that I exclude from All Vaults. These items do not appear in mini.

If I exclude a vault from "All Vaults" in the desktop app, I don't see those items in the main app, which is great, but when I go to a relevant site in the browser, items from that vault are still surfaced by 1P Mini so I'm still wading through tons of unnecessary items to find the ones I need to see.

That should not be the case. You didn't provide any of the requested version information in your opening post but if you could please do so we'd be happy to investigate why this isn't working as expected for you. In particular could you please let us know:

• Which version of 1Password are you using on your computer? E.g. 1Password 7.3 for Mac
    • Which web browser are you using, and which version of that web browser?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your web browser?

Thanks!

Ben

• mostlymarius
    mostlymarius
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Thanks, Ben!

1Password version: 1Password 7.3.1.BETA-0 (70301000)
    Browser: Brave (latest), Safari (latest)
    1Password Extension version: 4.7.4.90 (Brave), 7.3.1-BETA-0 (Safari)

Since it's supposed to work, I tried this again in Safari and found that it is excluding items as designed, but in Brave it still wasn't working (and Brave is my primary browser these days). However, once I restarted Brave it seems to have fallen into sync with the main app.

Not sure why it wasn't before, but now I have a workable solution so all is well! :)

Thanks to everyone for their help.

• Excellent. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that worked out. :)

Ben

P.S. I would not recommend storing items in the trash that you don't intend to delete.

• ethnicolor
    ethnicolor
    Community Member

Can I just add my voice to the overall suggestion to have an "archive vault" feature, for logons, notes, etc which one has no intention of ever using again, but one still wants to keep a record of. This would be a great feature for what's already a great service!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ethnicolor!

This would be a great feature for what's already a great service!

Thank you for the kind words :) You can already create an Archive vault and exclude it from showing up in the All Vaults view. I do that too, and I think that would do exactly what you are looking for :)

• ethnicolor
    ethnicolor
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_ana :) I’ve set that up on my devices now. is there a way to tell Watchtower to ignore everything in a particular vault? That would be the icing on the cake!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ethnicolor, you are very welcome! :)

is there a way to tell Watchtower to ignore everything in a particular vault?

Not directly, but if you exclude the Archive vault from All Vaults view, Watchtower will not show you alerts for items stored inside that vault, unless you specifically switch to this vault. So I think 1Password will behave the way you would like ;)

• ethnicolor
    ethnicolor
    Community Member

Brilliant! That suggestion really improves my 1Password setup - thank you @ag_ana !

• On behalf of Ana you're most welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.