Vault issue

kturchi
kturchi
Community Member

Hi,
I am a member of two 1Password groups, with multiple vaults in each one.
I was using a different computer last week and it made me do a recovery and it changed the master key. However, I believe this was only for one of the groups and now the other group just shows weird 'names' and there is nothing showing in any of their vaults. Any idea how to get this back?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.4
Sync Type: unsure
Referrer: forum-search:vaults not showing

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @kturchi! I'm sorry for the trouble.

I was using a different computer last week and it made me do a recovery and it changed the master key.

1Password will never do this, on its own. Can you tell us what you mean? What happened, and what specific steps did you take?

...now the other group just shows weird 'names'

Again, can you clarify? What sort of names, and how are they different from what you had there previously? As long as you make sure to not include any identifying information, feel free to take a screenshot of what you’re referring to, and post it in a reply here, if you think that will help. Thanks! :)

• kturchi
    kturchi
    Community Member

Oh, sorry for the confusion. I had to request recovery be started because I couldn't log in.
    The recovery was started for one of the groups, and it looks like it corrupted the other groups' vaults. I asked the second group and they show me as still having access to everything, but it's not showing on my computer or on my phone.
    Thanks.
    Attached is a picture. All of the vaults in the lower part have no items in them. I dragged the image over so let me know if you can't see it.

Thanks.
    Kristi

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kturchi - no, that's exactly what I wanted, and I can see it fine; thanks! It definitely looks as if something's amiss with your 1Password 7 for Mac setup. What happens on the other computer (the one you were using previously)? Does everything show normally? Do you still even have access to that device?

• kturchi
    kturchi
    Community Member

OK, if I login on Chrome to the second group of vaults - I can see everything, but then the top group only has a few items that I personally have added. Both are connected to the same email address, however the secret key is different for both. Any way to connect them? They were all connected before and recovery messed this up. Really need to fix it. Thanks.

• kturchi
    kturchi
    Community Member

Is there a phone number that I can call to get this fixed ASAP? It's hampering my work day, haha! Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kturchi - let's make sure we're using the same terminology to refer to the same things so I don't tell you to do something you interpret differently than I meant it. These are not "groups," they are two separate accounts. When you use a browser to sign in, you will only be viewing one account at a time; that's the way it works in a browser. In a 1Password app (for Mac, Windows, iOS, etc), you can add multiple accounts to the same app and view them all side-by-side or even all your data combined...but it's on the view level; your data isn't really combined (that's why you can't see items from one account when signed into the other one, in a browser).

When you do this (add multiple 1Password accounts into 1Password for Mac), the first one you added becomes the Master Password for that app. We're called "1Password," not "1Password for every account you have, which you have to remember and enter separately for each different account" (that latter was too long to fit on a business card and didn't test well in focus groups. ;) We achieve this by "escrowing" the keys (to oversimplify) to decrypt any subsequent accounts, within the first account you added, so that when you enter the Master Password for the first one, the others open automatically.

But if you used different Master Passwords for each of these accounts when you set them up initially, it's entirely possible you could've gone months or even years without ever having to physically enter the Master Password of any subsequently-added accounts, because you only need the Master Password of the first one to unlock them all, when inside 1Password for Mac. Make sense?

So, let's move forward: if your Personal vault from the "top" account has only a few items, that sounds as if you've been (perhaps inadvertently) saving items by default into one of the other vaults (potentially even into the other account!). However, without a closer look, it will be difficult to know for sure. So, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#RAX-96723-671]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @kturchi only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: RAX-96723-671

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kturchi - we don't offer telephone support for 1Password at this time, largely because problems of this nature require we take a fairly in-depth look at multiple aspects of your setup, which is difficult to do over the telephone and leaves no record of what was asked/answered/discovered. A diagnostics report does all those things, and allows us to make sure we've addressed the entire thing comprehensively. Thanks for your cooperation.

• kturchi
    kturchi
    Community Member

Thank you so much, Lars! I really appreciate your help. I am sending the email now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome! Sounds good :+1:

This discussion has been closed.