1 Password 7 cannot autofill in Safari Technology Preview on Mojave

fletch1
fletch1
Community Member

Hello.

I've noticed that ever since I upgraded to Mojave, 1Password can no longer autofill logins (or anything really) in Mojave's version of Safari Technology Preview. The browser has the 1Password browser extension installed but when I try to use it, I get the proper login preselected but asking it to fill results in nothing happening. Things do seem to work properly with the standard version of Safari but my workflow has me using Safari Technology Preview a lot and I'm trying to avoid running two browsers any more than I need to.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

-Myron

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @fletch1,

Do you have Safari Tech Preview set as your default browser in System Preferences.app -> General?

• fletch1
    fletch1
    Community Member

Yes I do.

• @fletch1 Just to confirm: v7.2.5 shows up as the extension version in Safari Tech Preview in Preferences > Extensions?

Ben

• fletch1
    fletch1
    Community Member

Yes it does.

• Have you tried restarting the Mac? Also could you please check that Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running is turned on in 1Password > Preferences > Browsers?

If after doing those things you're still having trouble in STP I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to [email protected].

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/103344/
    • Your forum username: fletch1

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• fletch1
    fletch1
    Community Member

Restarting my Mac doesn't seem to make a difference and the helper is always running. I just sent the diagnostics report. My support ID is [#PGL-79656-831]

-Myron

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@fletch1 - thanks for that. I think this is a real issue we're going to need to address, but I don't have anything to relate in terms of timeline for it. Since STP is a preview of coming attractions in stable-channel Safari, we don't necessarily guarantee 1Password will work 100% with it, the way we do with Safari. That doesn't mean we don't want to get this solved (we do!), it just means you may want to switch to Safari for work where you know you'll be using 1Password, until we can get a chance to address this in the code.

• fletch1
    fletch1
    Community Member

OK thank you very much!

-Myron

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• ehh
    ehh
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

I have the same problem. Disabling the extension in Safari Tech Preview's preferences and then reenabling it seems to fix it, but only for a short time.

• macOS 10.14.4 (18E226)
    • Safari Technology Preview release 80 (Safari 12.2, WebKit 14608.1.16)
    • 1Password 7, Version 7.2.5 (70205002), AgileBits Store
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @ehh! And Welcome to the forum :)

• blg.griffith
    blg.griffith
    Community Member

I don't know how many "me too" reports you need but I'm another. It seemed to happen with the change when Apple finally stopped allowing the old extensions. I was using 1P along with some of the older style extensions in STP version 79. Version 80 finally disabled the older style extensions - at the same time 1P became flaky. Today's update to version 81 did not make the 1P any more stable. As the others mention, it works fine on any/all websites for a while and then just stops. Clicking the browser toolbar icon brings up the proper website, but clicking autofill doesn't place the information into the website form fields. Also, the command-/ shortcut key stops working. It will no longer bring up the 1P extension. As ehh noted, toggling the extension off and back on helps it work properly again for a while.

• macOS 10.14.4 (18E226)
    • Release 81 (Safari 12.2, WebKit 14608.1.19.5)
    • 1Password version 7.3 BETA 12 (70300012), Agile Bits store.
  • RickS
    RickS
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Me too

• macOS 10.14.4 (18E226)
    • Release 81 (Safari 12.2, WebKit 14608.1.19.5)
    • 1Password version 7.2.6 (70205002), Agile Bits store.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@blg.griffith

I don't know how many "me too" reports you need

If an issue is reproducible by us, then we only need a single one. :) if it's something we can't reproduce here, then obviously either any users experiencing the problem have something in common on their systems, some combination of versions, external software, steps taken, etc, that we need to figure out to determine whether it's something we can/should fix, or it's something that's unique to users with certain systems or taking certain steps.

In this case, we're aware of it already, but thanks to you and @RickS for weighing in.

• appl4ever
    appl4ever
    Community Member

This isn't a "me too" note that I'm having the same issue, but I wanted to note that @blg.griffith advice to uncheck and recheck the extension in STP's preferences does get it working again, in case anybody else wants confirmation of that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@appl4ever - thanks for letting us know! :)

• jladicos
    jladicos
    Community Member

I was having this issue, but it looks like it was resolved in Safari Tech Preview release 82.

• Thanks for the update @jladicos. I believe I've seen similar reports elsewhere as well. Glad to hear that seems to have sorted it. :)

Ben

• Hi @jladicos

Could you please confirm you haven't seen this problem pop up again since updating to STP 82? While we'd love for it to be the case that v82 addresses the problem we'd like to make sure that is the case before we spread the word. :chuffed:

Ben

• jladicos
    jladicos
    Community Member

Hi @ben - everything seemed fine right after I installed version 82, but this morning I'm back to the previous, broken behavior.

My finding is that if I quit Safari Tech Preview and then re-open it, the keyboard shortcut for 1password will work once, but then not work again until I quit the browser.

Sorry for the false positive yesterday - I was so excited that everything was working again!

• Thanks for letting us know @jladicos. :+1:

Ben

• @jladicos,

That sounds like the described behavior for STP 80+ at this point.

• alexzautke
    alexzautke
    Community Member

Can reproduce the same issue here:
    macOS 10.14.6 Beta (18G29g)
    Release 82 (Safari 12.2, WebKit 14608.1.23.1)
    1Password Version 7.2.5, Mac App Store

• @alexzautke,

Correct, no resolution has yet been announced.

Affected versions are currently: Safari Tech Preview 80, 81, 82.

• jladicos
    jladicos
    Community Member

FWIW, I tried on release 83, and the extension continues to misbehave.

• RONKING
    RONKING
    Community Member

Please make a correction

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RONKING - thanks for the feedback; I've nothing to announce on that score just yet, but keep an eye on updates and associated release notes, which is where you'd see notice of this first.

• gordon3834
    gordon3834
    Community Member

We're up to Technology Preview 85, and this still happens. Clicking the icon or using the keyboard shortcut does nothing, and clicking the 1Password Mini status bar icon launches with Technology Preview frontmost actually launches Safari for some reason. It's very sad that this still happens…

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gordon3834: Apple has fixed it with Safari 13 and STP on Catalina. It's not something we have any control over. Perhaps it will work with autumn with Safari 13 on Mojave as well, but that's up to Apple, assuming it's even possible.

• CristianUK
    CristianUK
    Community Member

Hi everyone,

Please allow me to add my two cents worth. The 1Password 7.3.2 extension Safari Technology Preview (Release 91 Safari 13.1 Webkit 14609.1) doesn't work in a timely manner under Mojave 10.14.6

It can take a min or two before logon details appears. The only fix I can find is by turning off then turn back on the extension. This works but you immediately have to do it again after a few mins.

Another frustrating issue, is the use of 2FA hardware keys. After enrolling a hardware key, when I try to log in using STP, after entering the password, I am asked to plug in a key and a set of gears come up. Plugging in a key is fine which authenticates. But if you do not have hardware key handy, you cannot cancel this request to fall back to a software based key.

I can confirm under the latest MS Catalina beta build. the issue of falling back my "cancelling" when 1`password asks you to insert the key also exists under this build.

Can we request that you look at introducing hardware 2FA to the Mac and Android apps please instead of just using a software generated key for greater security. I'm sure you Enterprise clients would also appreciate this.

Also as a member, and I allow to give advice/support other new or existing forum users if they have a question and I'm aware of what the fix or work around would be?

This discussion has been closed.