To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Switched from standalone to membership and trying to get sync set up correctly

daegu4u
daegu4u
Community Member

Hello! I have been using 1PW for many years now and switched today from a standalone license to a membership. I am able to sign in on my devices to the new Vault (which is called "Private" and it doesn't seem I can change the name). However, I am not clear on the difference between my "Private" vault and the old "Primary" vault that I used to sync through iCloud.

Desires:
1. To have only one main vault—whatever it's called—that syncs across all my main devices. Aka I want to get rid of either Primary or Private and just use one.
2. I'll add that I have a second vault that I created for my mother to manage her passwords. I want to use my 1PW subscription on both my devices and my mother's devices, since I have a Family account, but I would like to maintain two separate vault passwords as she is not tech-inclined and needs to have a simpler password to remember.
3. I don't want any duplicates across devices. I have about ~700 items stored in my 1PW (exclusive of my mother's) and right now, on my iPhone X, I'm signed into my membership and see ~1,400 items.

Details: I have the latest version of 1PW on all devices. I followed the setup instructions for migrating to a subscription, and most parts worked fine. My problems are:
1. I'm seeing dupes on my devices. I should have 700 items and not 1400. I suspect this is because my "Primary" vault is still syncing on iCloud. If I disable this and delete the "Primary" vault, will that mess anything up? My 700 items will still remain in 1PW, correct?
2. In the "Sync" tab in my 1PW settings, it only gives me an option to sync my "Primary" vault. This is where I'm confused. 1PW automatically created a vault called "Private" when I moved to a membership, and I want THAT vault to sync across my devices. Why is there not an option to sync any vault besides "Primary" on my iPhone X?
3. My iPhone X is signed into my 1PW subscription, but it's still using my old master password from my standalone subscription. I know I can easily change the password, but shouldn't it be forcing me to use my new master password that is associated with the subscription now?

Please let me know if I've left out any info. I tried to be thorough :-) Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Switched from standalone to membership and trying to get sync set up correctly

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@daegu4u: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! There is no sync setup with a 1Password membership: all of the data in your account will be accessible on each device just by signing in. But in order for that to be useful to you, you need to first save data in your account. The Primary (local) vault is stored only on your device and is not part of any 1Password account. So anything you keep there won't sync through your account either. So you'll need to copy your data to the account. The only way you'll end up with "duplicates" is if you forget/neglect to remove the old vault after doing so, as you'd then have two vaults with the same data shown in All Vaults -- or if you actually copy it multiple times. If you follow this guide to the end to migrate your existing data (once!) and setup all of your devices with only your account, you'll be all set:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device

And once you've migrated your data to the account, you can verify that you have everything there easily by signing into 1Password.com in your web browser.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• daegu4u
    daegu4u
    Community Member

Thanks! I copied everything from the old vault to the new one that’s synced across my devices, all is good to go!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you got it sorted. It sounds like you should be good to go, but we're here if you need anything. :)

• daegu4u
    daegu4u
    Community Member

Hi brenty, follow-up question: Now when my mother tries to access her vault (which is separate from my Private vault) on her phone, it is now asking for MY master password instead of the separate one for her vault. How can I separate the passwords across different vaults?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@daegu4u: It sounds like you had her sign in to your 1Password account on that device using your Master Password and other account credentials. Is that correct? If that's the case, using your account, she will have exactly the save vaults and data that you do, with zero exceptions: she's effectively you, as she's signed in as you, at that point.

That's why we have 1Password Families memberships: each person gets their own account with their own Private vault (which no one else can access, ever) and then any other vaults shared with them -- for example, the default Shared vault which everyone you invite has access to:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

You can invite her, and then she can setup her own account as part of your family membership, and choose her own Master Password, etc. That's what I'd recommend.

• daegu4u
    daegu4u
    Community Member

Thanks again, brenty. I followed the steps to add her as a new user, confirmed her, and created a separate vault. I'm now on her Mac and just removed my account from her 1PW and signed in as her. 1PW says "Your 1Password account is frozen" and gives me an option to "Update Billing Information." But I already have a 1PW for Families membership that is active, and the application is not permitting me to input a key or anything to this effect to unfreeze the account. The steps on this page did not get me anywhere, unfortunately.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@daegu4u: it sounds like the might have a second 1Password account, one that she created separately. You need to make sure to use the account she created through your invitation.

Also, if you login to your account on 1Password.com and click on People in the sidebar, how many users do you see there?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@daegu4u: Thanks for getting back to me. It sounds like you have more than one membership account you've created then. Please email us at sales@1password.com from the account's registered email address with the details so we can look into it. We can't discuss account/payment info here in a public forum.

• daegu4u
    daegu4u
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana, I signed in on her computer using the emailed link from my invitation to her. I'm logged into my account on 1password.com and see two People listed: one for my email address and one for hers.

• daegu4u
    daegu4u
    Community Member

@brenty Ok, I just emailed the sales team and linked to this thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! We'll continue the conversation via email. :)

This discussion has been closed.