Proper way to store membership info "and" login credentials on just one entry. i.e. an airline

Jorgeelizondom
Jorgeelizondom
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Lounge

Hi,
I am going to use the example of the airline to ask my question.
I have a "membership" entry for my American Airlines reward program that includes my member number, username, password, and security answers to retrieve a lost passwords. But I also have a "login" entry that includes username and password and the URL but not the member number; this is the one I click and 1P autmatically takes me to the website and logs me in.

Similar issue with bank entries. for every account i have a "Bank" entry with all related info from my bank; account manager name, telephone numbers etc, and ANOTHER entry with the login credentials.

So I have two entries for each of Bank account, hotel, car rental, and airline reward program I have. I don't think this is a practical way to do this.

What is the proper way to do this?
What do you recommend to only have one entry for my membership data and retain the automatic ¨take me there and log me in" feature?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @Jorgeelizondom.

What I do for my bank credentials is to store the login details as you normally would, and then, I add other Sections (to organize my data) and create custom items depending on the type of information I'm storing (security questions, pin codes, etc). If you're interested, go ahead and read about Custom Items and how to create them. This has worked for me fine, although I have to say I'm not a 1Pass team member, so definitely wait for an response from them :chuffed:

Hope it helps!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jorgeelizondom: I'd recommend using just a Login item for that (you can add anything you need in Notes or custom fields) as Logins have the unique benefit of being able to fill on webpages. A Membership item, in this case, is kind of superfluous and non-functional. You can certainly keep both items though, if you prefer to have each with different info (e.g. login credentials in one, bank routing numbers in the other); it just gets messy when you duplicate info in multiple places -- confusing to update, since you have to do it in each one. There's no right way or wrong way, but as a practical matter, that's what I'd suggest. :)

• Jorgeelizondom
    Jorgeelizondom
    Community Member

Thank you @brenty and @arturoaubry,

It is indeed messy to have two entries...
    I will modify my login entries to include the additional data. Rainy day project.

I suppose there is no "merge items" function coming soon? jaja

Thanks again

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2019

@Jorgeelizondom

I suppose there is no "merge items" function coming soon? jaja

As far as I'm aware there isn't any such feature on the horizon.

It is indeed messy to have two entries...

That tends to be how I handle the information, personally, but I guess we all have different thoughts about what 'organized' (or at least 'not messy') looks like. :)

Ben

• Boerny
    Boerny
    Community Member

I‘d like to add to +1 on this:

I have the same issue. Is only the the Login category used for auto-fill?
    How could we better sort stuff. Having all those duplicate entries doesn‘t make sense.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is only the the Login category used for auto-fill?

@Boerny: Yes. You will need to use a Login item to fill login credentials.

How could we better sort stuff. Having all those duplicate entries doesn‘t make sense.

It's really up to you. But personally I just use custom fields and the notes section to add any additional info I need to. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.