Firefox 3.6 crashes on Startup when 1Password extension is activated

1235»

Comments

• kiks
    edited June 2010
    I just updated 1password and firefox 3.6 crashed again.

Sigh...
  • kiks
    edited December 1969
    back to using firefox 3.5.9

sigh...
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    This is a shot in the dark, but do any of you folks that are having this trouble happen to use Logitech mouse? The Logitech software installs a LCC Scroll Enhancer Loader.osax bundle in ~/Library/ScriptingAdditions that has been known to cause some wonkiness with 1Password and Safari. I was thinking that it is possible that something the scripting addition is doing is conflicting with some extension API facility that Firefox provides.
  • McMac
    edited December 1969
    I am still struggling with this same problem - now for months, and no resolution with every 1password or firefox update.
    I think to be fair to potential new buyers of the program, they should be aware that this program may not work with firefox in Mac.
  • claudioruiz
    edited December 1969
    Hey guys,
    Seriously there's no solution by the Agilewebsolutions team?
    It can't be the only way to solve it to reinstall the OSX. Come on.

I've just downgrade Firefox and viol
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    Hi claudioruiz, and welcome to the forums!

Seriously there's no solution by the Agilewebsolutions team?

I wish there was ;(

If you go back through this (very long) thread, you'll see there are some very hard problems to overcome:

1. No one on our team is experiencing this problem. If we could recreate the issue, it would make it much easier to dig deeper into what is happening.
    2. We're not the only extension experiencing this problem; for example, Xmarks, stylish, and pdf plugin are reported to have similar issues. The fact that multiple extensions are having an issue that never existed before Firefox 3.6 makes us believe it is a Firefox problem, but the Firefox people have the opposite stance. On page 6 of this thread geoffb did some digging and found some interesting things, and ended with "but hey, this sure looks like it's not you guys.".
    3. Lewys had an interesting work around and so did kiks, both posted on page 6 of this thread. In both instances, changing the Firefox setup caused the problem to go away. Even more weird, Zimbo reported upgrading OS X fixed the issue.
    4. For some the crash is inconsistent, going away randomly and then coming back for no reason. This combined with the fact that kitebuggy reported turning off secure virtual memory fixes this issue makes me think there is a race condition in the Firefox startup code.

I wish there was something we could do to fix this issue but so far it doesn't look like it is something we can solve.
  • Are there any news on this topic? Will upgrade to FF4 beta help?

Regards,
    erep
  • MikeT
    edited September 2010
    erep wrote:

Are there any news on this topic? Will upgrade to FF4 beta help?

Regards,
    erep
    Hi erep,

We have not been able to find any solution to this yet, some users did experience the same issue with Firefox 3.6.9, some didn’t. It does not hurt for you to try it if you want to update to 3.6.9. You can also try out the Firefox 4 β5, we have a separate extension for it in the latest version of 1Password, 3.4.2.
  • MikeT wrote:

Hi erep,

We have not been able to find any solution to this yet, some users did experience the same issue with Firefox 3.6.9, some didn’t. It does not hurt for you to try it if you want to update to 3.6.9. You can also try out the Firefox 4 β5, we have a separate extension for it in the latest version of 1Password, 3.4.2.

This is really a bullshit problem and in my opinion it is an firefox issue. I had firefox 3.6.9 and everything worked fine. Upgraded to fireforx 3.6.10 - firefox didn't start anymore!
    I tried everything from reinstall to delete cache and profile, downgraded to 3.6.9 and nothing helped. the only thing that worked was starting in save mode. then after deactivating the 1password add-on and the evernote add-on firefox started again. so the issue was coupled with the 1password add-on and the evernote add-on.

Then I installed firefox 4 beta and 1password add-on worked again. but for ff4 there's no evernote so this is useless for me.

Then I read this topic here and kiks said he downgraded to 3.5.9. So I got the latest 3.5 Version (3.5.13) and here everything works fine again...

really strange issue...

Maybe this helps someone out...

best regards!

Benno
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    effektlabor,

Thanks for that update. It seems to further confirm that it is a Firefox issue. We do wish there was more we could do. :-(

For what it's worth, I have everything working with the latest stable versions of both apps (1Password 3.4.2 and Firefox 3.6.10). I think it has already been mentioned in this monstrous thread, but a little manual boxing of the fox may work for some:

1. Open 1Password
    2. Preferences > Browsers > UNCHECK Firefox 3
    3. UNCHECK Firefox 4
    4. Quit 1Password

5. Open Firefox
    6. Tools > Add-ons > Extensions
    7. Uninstall any and all 1Password extensions listed
    8. Quit Firefox

9. Open 1Password
    10. Preferences > Browsers > CHECK Firefox 3
    11. Quit 1Password

12. Pray, cross your fingers, sacrifice some tofu, etc. :S

I have heard some reports of the extension not working if the Firefox 4 extension is also installed, but I have both installed and the version 4 extension is simply listed as "Not compatible with Firefox 3.6.10." However, if you are not using Firefox 4, there is no reason to check it in 1Password.

I hope that helps someone. I love me some Firefox on Windows, but the fruit does not agree with the fox lately.
  • Ok, this is my experience...

- Installed the latest release of Firefox (3.6.10) with 1Password 3.4.2 - Firefox crashes
    - Created another profile with /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -ProfileManager and enabled 1Password plugin - Firefox crashes
    - Removed 1Password plugin fro 1Password Preferences dialog - Firefox crashes (!)
    - Started Firefox with no plugin (pressing Alt during startup and selecting Disable alla plugins) - Firefox starts
    - Removed 1Password plugin and restarted firefox - Firefox starts
    - Enabled 1Password plugin again - Firefox crashes
    - Removed Firefox profile and restarted firefox - Firefox starts
    - Removed Firefox profile and restarted firefox - Firefox starts
    - Selected all the troubleshooting menu from 1Password (Reset folder permission - clear cache - Rebuild data file) and restarted firefox - Firefox crashes
    - Removed firefox completely (App, preferences and application support files) - Firefox starts
    - Downloaded and installed Firefox 3.5.13 without changing anything - FIREFOX WORKS!

So, the only solution by now is to download and install Firefox 3.5.13. I think that the problem is something changed in the latest version of firefox 3.x. I hope this info are useful for Agile and other 1Password user.
    By now, I think I'll use Safari (but StumbleUpon plugin is not available for it)

Hope to find a solution quickly...

Regards
  • I add just a note.

I've now 2 versions of Firefox on my MacBook: One in Application folder (version 3.5.13) and the other (version 3.6.10) on the Desktop.

If I start the one in Application folder, everything works (1Password and other extensions like Stumble or Sync)
    If I start the one on the Desktop (3.6.10) it crashes

Note that I've not changed/deleted any file in Application Support or Preferences folder

That's all. I've written the same thing on the Firefox support forum.

Hope this help

Best
  • Another note (still no answers...)
    I've just upgraded to 1P 3.4.4 but the problem is still there Firefox 3.6.10 crashes - Firefox 3.5.13 works

Regards
  • Problem solved.

Updated Firefox to version 3.6.11 and 1Password works!

Regards...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for letting us know, toxine! Should I brace myself while you upgrade to 3.6.12 now? :-D

It's working well for me, but I have not had a problem with Firefox thus far, so my machine is not the best litmus test.
  • erep
    edited November 2010
    Just to say something new: update to Mac OS X 10.6.5 did help this time. Any combination of up and downgrade of Firefox and 1PW did not help before. I really hope this recurring problem/bug will finally disappear with FF 4.
    I was about to demand my money back since it stopped me from using this software at all.
    Regards,
    Johannes
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    That's great news, erep. Thanks for letting us know everything is working well for you now! :-)
This discussion has been closed.