upgrade to 1PasswordSetup-7.3.684 fails

Trying to upgrade (or just install) 1PasswordSetup-7.3.684 fails with the following:

I am behind a corporate proxy, but this is the first time I have had issues.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise 1809
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• This is usually an anti-virus removing the app folders before install is complete, @jmh63. In a corporate environment, there may not be much you can do to work around that unless your IT department is willing to entertain requests to adjust AV behavior or you are lucky and happen to have the option to whitelist 1Password yourself. If you do have that option, that would be my first suggestion.

If not, are you installing 1Password 7 for the first time on this PC? Attempting to update an older version of 1Password? If the latter, what version are you coming from? There may be some alternative options, but I want to make sure I'm making suggestions with your current environment in mind. Thanks! :chuffed:

• jmh63
    jmh63
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Thanks @bundtkate , however I have and still can successfully (re)install 7.2.617 without issue. So I am confused. I will try again tomorrow with 7.3.684.

I am also seeing differences in download versions from your 1password site and your update server? 7.2.617 from https://1password.com/downloads/windows/ and 7.3.684 from https://app-updates.agilebits.com

• The installer has changed some between 7.2 and 7.3, @jmh63, so that's not unexpected per se and it's actually most likely to change again for 7.4. It's something we're working on improving as part of these releases so tweaks are going to be the name of the game for a bit. It's wholly possible your AV was happy with 7.2 and upset about 7.3 for one reason or another and that's a tough thing to rule out. Installing without the AV running is my normal suggestion, but that's not always possible in corporate environments. Another option is to look at the AV's logs to see if it reports having mucked with 1Password, but there's no way to be certain that the AV would have or should have logged that sort of activity. They all have their own way of tracking this stuff and it's tough for us to keep up with them all. It's still worth a look if you can see those logs and have the familiarity with the tool to know what to look for, though.

As for the difference between pages, that's also related to the installer changes. 7.2 handles one very specific and uncommon scenario well while 7.3 does not. Since 7.4 is a pretty big update, we know this isn't going to get fixed quickly, so we put 7.2 on the downloads page to keep that issue to a minimum. That way, whether you'd have been impacted or not, you should just see 7.2 installed followed by an update and the end result is happy days. The two will get reunified when that small regression is fixed. :+1:

• jmh63
    jmh63
    Community Member

Ok understood @bundtkate thanks for the detailed and quick response. Cheers!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmh63,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! Let us know if you have other questions, we will be happy to help. Thank you! :+1:

• jmh63
    jmh63
    Community Member

Hi, just to update, disabled on-access scanning and Access Protection temporarily and ran 7.3.684 successfully. :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@jmh63: This is the good news, thank you for the update! :)

We are always here, if you need us.

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.