Looking up accounts while in browser

rich1383
rich1383
Community Member

I cannot figure out how to use the 1P browser and look up another account or create a new one? When I click on the Key icon at the top, it only presents matched accounts for where I am (and not always then), with no way to enter a new one or search for one. How can I get back to the account screen while preserving the browser window/session?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @rich1383

I think it's currently not possible to do that within the 1Password browser. To create a login you have to get back to the app and close the 1Browser. I imagine it's not the answe6you were hoping for.

I'm not a 1Password team member though, so definitely wait for a response from them :blush: Have a great day!

• rich1383
    rich1383
    Community Member

Thanks; wanted to make sure I was not missing something. Seems to happen to me a lot; I get into a site that wants my login and it only shows sites it thinks matches where I am, which sometimes is nothing (because the site has changed, or I am on a partner page). Pretty annoying (and obvious omission) that I cannot just search my library? All they have to add is a button or link below the list they show (See All, for example).

• @rich1383

It is very intentional that we don't do that. 1Password will not fill on a website where the URL does not match the contents of the website field on the Login item. This is an anti-phishing measure. It prevents things like folks filling their credentials on a site like lpassword.com ("L" password.com) instead of 1password.com ("one" password.com). Visually they look nearly if not entirely identical, but they're different websites.

Ben

• rich1383
    rich1383
    Community Member

It seems there should be a way to provide the functionality with reasonable protection. This situation is not a rarity for me, and I find it pretty frustrating that I cannot reset infrequently used site passwords that have expired without closing the browser, losing the session, looking up the information I need, then starting the browser session over. I end up with 1P open separately and just go through Safari and copy/paste as needed. Maybe this could be an "expert mode" option? I'll try to document the process in the future for a few sites so I can be more specific.

1P also does not seem to have a user-friendly method to handle the flow used by most sites for new-login creation, where that URL (recorded for the site in 1P) is not the URL used to login normally. I find this a challenge to explain to neophytes whom I am trying to convince to use a pwd manager. Any thoughts on this?

• @rich1383

It sounds like you may be using "1Browser," the browser within 1Password? We do actually typically recommend using Safari instead now:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

There is a little bit of setup, but once set up it provides a much smoother experience than we're able to provide with 1Browser. Does that help?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.