1Password is suggesting an old (incorrect) email address

Options
bradlau
bradlau
Community Member

On iOS, when I tap into an email address field (for example, when I'm creating an account for an app), 1Password suggests an email address to use in that form field. For me, 1Password is suggesting an old email address that I no longer have saved in 1Password.

The email address I use for my 1Password account is (for example) b@email.com
b@email.com is also the only email address I have saved in the Identities category of 1Password.
For some reason, 1Password is suggesting a@email.com in the predictive text area of the iOS keyboard.

Does anyone know how to get 1Password to suggest the correct email address?

Note: I've confirmed that this suggested email address is coming from 1Password because if I delete the 1Password app from my phone, that email address suggestion completely disappears from the iOS keyboard.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.3.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bradlau: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password doesn't suggest email addresses or have any predictive text features at all. That's iOS. iOS Autofill will offer to fill things from 1Password if you have that enabled...but only information from Login items, which would not be just an email address in any email field, but a username (which could be an email address) and password at the specific URL you've saved in that Login item in 1Password.

So I guess the question is, where exactly are you seeing this? What browser version? What URL? What context? Do you have stuff saved in iCloud Keychain, or keyboard Text Replacement? Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance! :)

• bradlau
    bradlau
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply, @brenty. Here's a screenshot where I've tapped into an email field in the signup form of an iOS app. In the predictive text area of the iOS keyboard, you can see that an email address is being suggested. I believe that email address is coming from 1Password, because if I delete the 1Password app from my iPhone and tap into that email field, no email addresses are suggested.

The email address being suggested here does not appear in any of the items I have saved in 1Password (except for a few items that are in the 1Password Trash). Strangely, I believe this suggested email is the address I used when I originally signed up for 1Password back in 2012, but I haven't used that email for my 1Password account in at least 5 years.

Hope this helps. Any idea what's going on here?

• Ben
    Options

@bradlau

If you check your contact for yourself in the Contacts app do you have that email address listed?

Ben

• bradlau
    bradlau
    Community Member
    Options

No, that address doesn’t appear at all. I spent about 3 hours on a chat with Apple support about this yesterday. That email address doesn’t appear in any contacts on my Mac/iPhone/iCloud. We cleared all browser cache and autofill settings in Safari while on the call.

The only thing that stopped that email address from being suggested in the iOS keyboard was deleting the 1Password app from my iPhone.

Thanks for your reply, @Ben! Let me know if this helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bradlau: Thanks for the additional details, and the screenshot. Indeed, in 2012 nothing like that was possible on iOS, 1Password accounts weren't introduced until late 2015, and even today only 1Password Login items (URL, username, and password) can be offered by iOS Password Autofill, so this is really interesting. If you tap that, what happens? Is an email address and password filled? The only thing I can think of is that something was being cached by iOS. Are you still seeing this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

I wanted to follow up here with some extra info after testing. I'll be the first to admit that while iOS Autofill is an AMAZING feature, the UI can be a bit confusing. But I knew there was something here that wasn't adding up. This is it:

First try

Second try

You'll notice that when iOS Password Autofill is being used to offer to fill something from a 3rd party app like 1Password, it says so.

I'm not sure why there are slightly different UIs for this*, just seconds apart, but it always calls this out. Autofill also has the "key" icon to expand the Autofill UI to try to find other information. So what's shown above definitely isn't from 1Password or Autofill, but rather something else from the OS -- likely predictive or text replacement, but I'm not really qualified to figure out exactly what this is; it's really interesting though. :)

Edit: The more I look at the screenshots and think about the context, it seems like the first time iOS said, "Hey, this is a login form and I've got login credentials for this site, so I'll just offer that" -- no keyboard. So I guess the second time iOS is like, "Hmm, you didn't go for it the first time; maybe you want the keyboard instead" -- hence the Autofill being offered above the keyboard instead.

• bradlau
    bradlau
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again for the reply, @brenty. Interestingly, I see something different when I go to overcast.fm in Safari. Note the two vertical lines on either side of "Passwords"? That's the UI for when it's presenting something from a 3rd party app. (Apple support confirmed this with me in a chat two days ago.)

If I delete the 1Password app from my phone, I get this, which is the Safari iOS email recommendation UI.

Apps are different. This app (below) is called Lemonade. When I tap into the email field with the 1Password app installed on my phone, I get the incorrect email recommendation. Again, note the two vertical lines on either side of the recommended email address. That's the UI for when it's presenting something from a 3rd party app.

But if I delete the 1Password app from my phone and tap into that same email field, I get no recommendations at all.

So, if 1Password is on my phone, I get that (incorrect) email as a recommendation and if it's not on my phone, I get no recommendations at all.

Given this, I just don't see how that email address recommendation can be coming from anywhere other than 1Password. Does this make sense?

• Ben
    Options

@bradlau

So, if 1Password is on my phone, I get that (incorrect) email as a recommendation and if it's not on my phone, I get no recommendations at all.

I can certainly understand how those facts would lead to a conclusion that 1Password is the culprit here... the difficulty is (and I've confirmed this with our development team): there is no code in 1Password that interacts with autofill or suggests email addresses like that. As such I'm really not sure what to suggest at this point.

From development:

We give [Apple] a list of username/domain combinations. If the OS chooses to look at that data to guess about an email address (and maybe they are?) we would have absolutely no control over it.

But even if Apple were looking at the data we're providing to try and make informed guesses about what email address you might want to fill in... you said that you don't have that email address anywhere in 1Password, correct?

Ben

• bradlau
    bradlau
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply, @ben. That's right, the a_@_.com email address doesn't appear in 1Password (except for on a few items in the 1Password Trash).

That said, the a_@_.com email address also does not appear in my iOS Contacts, Email (or anywhere else when I spotlight search on iOS).

I guess we're at a dead end here, but thanks for the info from the dev team. I'll contact Apple Support again with that information.

• Ben
    Options

That's right, the a_@_.com email address doesn't appear in 1Password (except for on a few items in the 1Password Trash).

I can't see how it would possibly make any difference... but what happens if you empty the trash?

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bradlau: To make sure we're all on the same page, this first screenshot which you posted above with the "lines" on either side of the "[key] Passwords" UI is iOS Password Autofill. I think what they meant is -- correctly -- that tapping that can bring you a 3rd party app's UI if you are only using 3rd party apps as an Autofill source, which I believe is correct in your case: you don't have iCloud Keychain enabled. But what you see before that, as in the screenshot, is all iOS. Nothing from 3rd parties can modify the system's keyboard like that.

You're almost certainly seeing "[key] Passwords" instead of login credentials to fill because you do not have any matching overcast.fm.

Again, note the two vertical lines on either side of the recommended email address. (screenshot) That's the UI for when it's presenting something from a 3rd party app.

Nope. All login credentials coming from 1Password show "1Password" next to them. This is really easy to test. If you enable iCloud Keychain in Autofill and save login credentials for overcast.fm in it, you'll get this:

Again, iOS always identifies the 3rd party app which is the source of the information. And iCloud Keychain is not a 3rd party app. So I think there was just a misuderstanding on that point, perhaps due to taking their comments out of context. Definitely confusing. I hope this helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bradlau: To think about it in a different way, it's important to keep that word "source" in mind. While 1Password will be the original source of things you fill from it using Autofill, the OS both stores them and does the filling itself.

We've sometimes seen cases where iOS seemed to have stale data from 1Password cached and offered it for filling (e.g. an old password for an account that has since been changed, along with the new one; iOS did not remove the old one).

So I'd say it's possible that something old is cached, perhaps even from 1Password; but if it's not in 1Password currently there is nothing we can do about it: all of that is handled by the OS. And if it is from 1Password, iOS should be labeling it as such. Either would be a bug, but in iOS: not displaying the source, and hanging onto stale data in the first place.

But usually the simplest explanation is the correct one: much more likely that this is something to do with predictive text (which I find a bit unpredictable myself -- I get interesting suggestions whose source I am unsure of, including email addresses), rather than two separate bugs in iOS interacting with each other just on your device. For example, your last screenshot in your earlier post seems to me to be conspicuously missing any text suggestions, as if predictive text is disabled -- not even sure if that is the right term, since this seems to be a single toggle with no information in Settings > General > Keyboards

I've been trying to find an article like this one but for iOS, as I'd like to stop getting some email addresses suggested myself. In my case Siri seems to be getting them from my emails. :)

• bradlau
    bradlau
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your continued attention to this, @Ben and @brenty! I've been going through my iOS settings (mostly related to Siri) and turning everything off, to try and prevent iOS from suggesting that email address. No luck so far, but I'll keep you updated.

• Ben
    Options

@bradlau

Did you try emptying the trash in 1Password?

Ben

• bradlau
    bradlau
    Community Member
    Options

I did try that, @Ben, but it didn't change the behavior. It's still suggesting the same email address.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Sometimes when you start a new email message, iOS suggests an email address that's no longer being used, and has already been removed from your Contacts.

Try this.
    First open the Mail app and start a new message.
    Start to enter the name of the contact. You will see a list of suggestions from contacts and the recently used email addresses.
    remove ios email autofill
    Tap the blue circle next to the email address you want removed. This will open the Recent screen.
    remove ios email autocomplete
    Verify this is the email address you want to remove from autofill / autocomplete in iOS Mail. Touch the Remove From Recents button.
    From now on, when you enter that name when composing a new message
    the old email address will not appear in the autofill list.
    Once a contact has been removed from the suggested list they will not appear again unless the same email address is used again continuously for a while.
    This may not work, but give it a try.
    Also I turn off threading, organize by thread and complete threads in ios settings mail.
    Threading does not do well for me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kunder:

Thank you for sharing these steps with everyone! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.