Family member out of sync with mine

hbvail
hbvail
Community Member

My wife and I have a Family account. Her machine is out of sync with mine (she has 1030 entries and I have 540, many of hers are duplicates). Can I delete her application on her machine and re-install? If you have a Family account I presume it syncs through iCloud. Both Macs, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air are on the same operating system. Both systems are on 1Password 7.3.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3 (70300020) 1Password Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5
Sync Type: Family - iCloud (i think)

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hbvail!

Her machine is out of sync with mine (she has 1030 entries and I have 540, many of hers are duplicates).

Are you both looking at the same vault? If you expect both of you to see the same information, I assume you are storing all your items inside the Shared vault of the Families account, correct?

If you have a Family account I presume it syncs through iCloud.

No, if you have a 1Password Families account, your data syncs through 1Password.com, iCloud is not used for sync in this case.

• hbvail
    hbvail
    Community Member

I am not sure how to handle the vault correctly. I believe we have two Vaults, Personal and Shared. I thought by clicking on “All Vaults” we were sharing both. I tried to mass change all my entries from Personal to Shared but it didn’t work. Obviously I am doing something wrong.

• The contents of the Personal vault are never shared, regardless of your "All Vaults" settings. All Vaults is just a mechanism for viewing the contents of all of your vaults in one spot, not a sharing mechanism. If you want to share 1Password data with someone that data would need to be in a vault that is shared with them (either the built-in Shared vault or another vault that you create).

Does that help? Please let me know if you're still having trouble, and if so what we can do to assist. Thanks.

Ben

• hbvail
    hbvail
    Community Member

There are really two issues here:

• My wife and I are on the 1Password Family.
    • We each have Version 7.3 on her Mac Air and my MacBook Pro
    • We are both on macOS Mojave 10.14.5
    • Her total items on her 1Password are 1,058
    • My Total items on 1Password are 452 ( mine is the correct number)
    • She has a lot of duplicates
    1. My first issue is to convert my items to "Shared" then do the same thing with her machine. When I try to do a mass change I select "Private" then "Item" then "Move to Vault" then select "Shared" which is highlighted but nothing happens. When I do them one at a time it works. (I really would not like to do 542 items one at a time)
    2. The second problem is how to bring her 1,058 items to 542 so that we are synced.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hbvail: I'm not sure I am following you here. Are you expecting your wife to have the same number of items in her 1Password account as you do on yours? That's incredibly unlikely, as the only thing common between you would be the family Shared vault; each of you have a Private vault which is unique to you: no one else has access to it. If you're copying the same shared data to the family Shared vault more than once though, you will end up with "duplicates" in that vault. Is that what you did? And do either of you have a Primary vault on any of your devices? I want to make sure we're not trying to compare apples and oranges.

• hbvail
    hbvail
    Community Member

We don't have a Primary Vault on either device. No, I don't expect her to have the exact number that I but her activity is a lot less yet she has double the entries. Interestingly enough I woke up with 1,558 items this morning and I had 542 yesterday. It would suspect that when I did a mass change on mine from personal to shared caused the issue. I now have 1057 shared and 501 personal items. I am losing control of my entire file.

• @hbvail

Instead of concentrating on the item counts... can we focus on the contents for a moment? What items do you appear to have that you weren't expecting? Are there duplicates? The number is really irrelevant, the important thing is that you have the data you're expecting to have without duplicates.

Ben

• hbvail
    hbvail
    Community Member

All my entries are duplicated. All the entries seem shared. My wife has entries and they are shared.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hbvail: By "duplicated", do you mean you have copied the same data to the same vault more than once? Or do you have the same data in different vaults simultaneously, having failed to remove the old vault? This goes back to my previous comments:

the only thing common between you would be the family Shared vault; each of you have a Private vault which is unique to you: no one else has access to it. If you're copying the same shared data to the family Shared vault more than once though, you will end up with "duplicates" in that vault. Is that what you did? And do either of you have a Primary vault on any of your devices? I want to make sure we're not trying to compare apples and oranges.

It would really help to know the specifics.

• hbvail
    hbvail
    Community Member

I have 3 entries in the same vault for Adobe (shared) I have 2 entries in the same vault for ACDE ( shared) and it goes on and on throughout my whole file. Some have 2 entries and some have 3. All I did the night before was change 3 or 4 entries manually and I end up with this. Is there a data file I can send you to analyze this? The "preferences" for both of us are set to default to shared.

If I am not giving you the specifics you require please tell me exactly what you need.

• hbvail
    hbvail
    Community Member

Checking further when I look at Delta Airlines I have two Shared and one Personal which repeats itself in many other items. Again neither my wife or I have a Primary vault.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hbvail From what you are describing, it sounds like you copied data from one vault to another several times instead of just once. You wrote this in one of your messages:

My first issue is to convert my items to "Shared" then do the same thing with her machine.

Once you have moved your items to the Shared vault, there is no need to do it again for every user. Have you by chance done the migration at least two times, one on your 1Password app, and one on hers?

• hbvail
    hbvail
    Community Member

You are correct , I have done what you described and created this whole mess. I believe my only solution is to go in and remove the duplicates manually and, while at it, cull the file of outdated passwords.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hbvail, thank you for the update. 1Password can help you with the duplicates so you don't have to do everything manually.

If you open 1Password for Mac and switch to the vault where you are currently seeing the duplicate items, you can then select Help in the menu bar > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items. If there are real duplicates in there, 1Password should be able to find them for you ;)

• hbvail
    hbvail
    Community Member

Thank you so much 😊

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hbvail, you are very welcome! :)

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to get back to us anytime, we will be happy to help you.

Have a wonderful day!

This discussion has been closed.