entering master password opens a web page

JimmyTheSaint
JimmyTheSaint
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Mac

MacOS 10.14.5, 1Password7 7.3 (703000020), 1Password7 7.3 Safari extension

With the latest update of 1Password, almost every time I open my computer and then enter my master password into the 1Password app, once the password is entered, one of my frequently visited sites gets opened in Safari. I don't mean activate an already-open tab, I mean a new tab opens, and Safari browses to that web site. This happens on both my Macbook 12 and Macbook Pro, not every time, but most of the time. Sometimes, it doesn't happen, but I don't see a pattern.

Also new: when I change the focus to 1Password7 to enter the master password, I have to actually click in the app's text field to enter the password. The app has the focus, but typing results in the system bell until I click in the text field. This also doesn't happen every time, just most of the time.

The above two glitches only started with the latest update, and I've been using 1Password on these devices for about three years.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JimmyTheSaint - sorry for the trouble!

almost every time I open my computer and then enter my master password into the 1Password app, once the password is entered, one of my frequently visited sites gets opened in Safari.

This is/was indeed a bug in the current version. I say "was" because we've already got a fix for this issue submitted in beta. Can't say when you'll see the next stable update, but assuming nothing ugly rears its ugly head regarding the fix, it should be part of 7.3.1, whenever that ships. Stay tuned! :)

...when I change the focus to 1Password7 to enter the master password, I have to actually click in the app's text field to enter the password.

I have heard this literally two other times, out of millions of users. So, not a complete unicorn, but rare enough that we've been unable to reproduce it here, and I suspect it's therefore likely a function of something uncommon in your individual setup. Do you often hide the main 1Password app? Not minimize or close it, but use the ⌘H (hide) function?

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member

About the window opening, I figured it was a known bug, but when there wasn't an update with a fix for over a week, I figured I should post about it. It's good to hear it's already been addressed.

Regarding the "mis-focus" issue: no, I never hide 1Password. It stays permanently open until a reboot, which can be days or weeks. I do have a global keyboard shortcut assigned that will launch 1Password if it's not already launched or will switch to 1Password. I use Karabiner Elements to assign these kinds of keyboard shortcuts to all of my frequently used apps because it's much faster to operate the computer if my touch typist's hands never have to leave the keyboard to operate the mouse. It's annoying to have to leave the keyboard to click in 1Password's text field when the app already has the focus. My 1Password keyboard shortcut does this:

"shell_command": "open '/Applications/1Password 7.app'"

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JimmyTheSaint: I could not reproduce this on my computer, but do you get the same thing if you switch to the 1Password app using the Cmd + TAB keyboard shortcut instead that with the shell command?

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member

Yes, I just verified that it also happens when I use cmd-tab to switch to 1Password. I see I didn't explain fully above: 1Password stays permanently open until the next reboot, but it locks every time I close the lid, so I do have to frequently enter the master password and encounter this unfocused text field issue.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JimmyTheSaint - I'm going to guess this has something to do with the extra UI-manipulation utility you've got installed on your Mac, since neither Ana nor I can reproduce this, and we've heard vanishingly few reports of it. It's also possible that although it may look like it, 1Password is NOT in the foreground, in which case, next time you see this, try typing something OTHER than your actual Master Password and see if you can cycle through windows and find the entered text anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.