2»

Comments

• doof
    doof
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben @brenty

Boom! That was it!

To be honest, I didn't even realise that was an option for that. No idea why it would have been set that way.

You guys rock, thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

The default is "Suggest in browser", so you would have had to have explicitly edited the item to change that. I can totally see that it might not be obvious what changing that setting would do, but we're here if there are questions about that or anything else. Anyway, glad that helped. Cheers! :)

• bdruth
    bdruth
    Community Member
    Options

I just ran into a situation where I could not force 1password to fill the correct account info for AWS console sign-in - I probably have at least half a dozen AWS accounts and every time, it would autofill from my least used account. Even when I used Go and Fill, where the URL has the account name in it, which pre-populates the first IAM login field, it would override that with the other account, and fill in username/password from that account also. If I then manually used 1Password in Chrome to re-select that account, click Autofill, it still wouldn't fill that account ... and because the org name is part of the URL not a field it remembered, it wouldn't change that field, so I would have to manually change that, try again, but it didn't autofill correctly, and on and on it went until I just manually copy/pasted. Is there an option I can disable to fix this?

• Ben
    Options

@bdruth

Have you tried saving a new Login item for this AWS login? We do have some changes planned that may help with the rest of it, but it sounds like you need a new item.

How to save a Login manually in your browser

Ben

• jSweeney
    jSweeney
    Community Member
    Options

Following up on OAW's post, I'm in the "Launch and Fill" camp. Seems to me, you can build in a simple setting that allows user to choose whether mini defaults to "suggestions" or "favorites."

I know your development team has to juggle many balls and appeal to a myriad of user wants. But I offer a lesson that Microsoft didn't learn. Microsoft's Word and Excel products took a bad turn, that has persisted, when they went to the "ribbon" control. This UI change increased the size of icons (thus reducing the number of functions available as 1-click), while also moving many often-used 1-click functions into various ribbons. Where I used to be able to trigger functionality with 1-click, ever since these changes, I have to dig through menus in 2 or more clicks to get the same functionality. Over days, weeks, months and years, the time spent doing extra clicking really adds up to a non-trivial amount of lost productivity.

I love 1password, but I've loved it because it has been easy. In prior version, I could get into password-protected sites with 2-clicks. Click Mini, click target favorite. With this new version, it's now 3-clicks, because I have to click drop-down to get to favorites. From development perspective, this is a miss for me. It's adding additional steps for me to perform to achieve results previous versions offered up for less effort. In my humble opinion, the goal should be fewer clicks, not more.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jSweeney - thanks for the feedback. As Ben mentioned, we do have some changes planned that you may find salutary in addressing these concerns. I don't have anything to share immediately, but we did hear the feedback for this iteration (which, in turn, was based on feedback to the prior iteration), and we invite you to stay tuned for that. :)

• bdruth
    bdruth
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I have not. So, just delete the existing one and manually create a new one with the same info?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bdruth - yes. Obviously, make sure you've got the actual credentials saved somewhere before you delete the current item! But you can send the current one to 1Password's trash and still copy the values out of it to create a manual login using the steps at the link Ben gave. Let us know how you get on. :)

• WaynePer
    WaynePer
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using 1P since 2010 and have introduced it to probably 150-200 people. I will generally tell people that if you took 1P away from me, I'd probably quit computers. I have several hundred items across a dozen vaults. So, you might call me a fan. Or an addict.

Additionally, I work in digital product development, so I fully understand the desire to serve the greatest number of users. I also understand how a product team working in some isolation from their users can get very attached to a piece of work (I'm sensing some of that in the replies from 1P staff above).

With that, I would add my voice to the critics here. As a power user, I have, for example, many Gmail logins. However, I have one that is mine that I use 10x more often than the others. I use leading spaces as a way to prioritize similar 1P entries (when search results were alphabetized it would float the leading spaces to the top), but that doesn't work anymore so what used to be a couple of keystrokes now includes a mouse click or several down arrows to get to the item I need. Also, as far as I can tell 1P’s supposed AI is not learning which entry is the most important to me despite the fact that I've now selected it 8 times without selecting any of the others after typing "gmail".

As another example, if I want to open a new page and log into, say, my Discover account I have to move past my Discover Card to get to the Discover login. Hard to know why 1P’s AI would think that the card should have a higher weight than the login when I'm on a blank page, or on a wholly unrelated page with no payment or other form fields. Previously, this was as easy as activating the mini, typing “disc”, and hitting return. Now with every credit card I have to pay attention each time — so it’s not just keystrokes it’s also the attention cost to make sure something is doing what I’m expecting it to do.

I have no doubt these things can be fixed, and likely will be. I would be feeling a little more confident if the replies above from 1P staff were less vague & paternalistic and a little more about listening to users who clearly are committed to the product (committed to the point that they're taking the time to post here). For me, it's the first time in 10 years that I've been even a little bit hesitant about 1P. It’s also the first time I had to hit the support forums to figure out wtf was going on because of product decisions that seemed so divergent from my years of experience with 1P.

It might also be worth noting that the vast majority of the users I’ve introduced to 1P don't keystroke anything with 1P. Most users simply don't keystroke any shortcuts. But for power users, when you make supposedly helpful changes that add keystrokes (or clicks, uggh) it's incredibly uncomfortable.

Lastly, the idea that an advanced settings screen would somehow be difficult for 1P to create, or adversely impact security for novice users, is silly from a product, coding and support point of view. For example, to have a setting that lists items alphabetically or automagically is trivial from all three sides. Plus, I’d happily agree to "void my warranty” just to be able to twiddle a few switches so the product works as expected (and also, separately, so I could suppress the reused password warning).

Anyway...

-Wayne

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @WaynePer! After ten years, it's good to hear from you for the first time. :) Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts so comprehensively, and thanks especially for being an advocate and fan for so long. ❤️

After reading your post, one of the first things I'd suggest to you is that the judicious use of Favorites seems like at least a partial and possibly complete solution to some of what you mention in the beginning. 1Password mini sorts items like this:

1. Favorited Logins (these will appear first).
    2. Exact match Logins (where the primary website field is an exact match for the URL of the current page)
    3. Logins which match the FQDN (fully-qualified domain name) - i.e. where both the domain and any subdomain match
    4. Logins which match only the domain name.

I'd certainly recommend using Favorites as a way to distinguish most-often-used (aka, "favorite" ;) ) items, over a system of leading spaces. Let us know how that works for you. :)

It might also be worth noting that the vast majority of the users I’ve introduced to 1P don't keystroke anything with 1P. Most users simply don't keystroke any shortcuts.

Yep, we're very aware of that. Most "casual" computer users are mouse-based, at least since the invention of the mouse, because it allows what you see to match what you're trying to do, instead of having to rote-memorize a series of arcane and frequently inexplicable keystroke-commands ("hey, I know, we'll make the restart command 'control-alt-delete'! That's intuitive and easy to remember!" :lol: ). But taking the time to learn the keyboard commands, however obscure, is definitely faster. It's a matter of preference.

But for power users, when you make supposedly helpful changes that add keystrokes (or clicks, uggh) it's incredibly uncomfortable.

Which is why we place a pretty high bar on doing so. Note that I didn't say: never. But we don't make such decisions lightly. In fact, it's the same reasoning why we don't add "an advanced settings screen" or toggles/checkboxes/preferences willy-nilly either. Because you're (mostly) right: in many cases (though definitely not all), adding such things wouldn't be that difficult. But I'd be...well, not rich, but able to eat lunch out for a month at least, if I had a dollar for every time a "power user" asked us to "just add a toggle/checkbox/advanced preference panel" to incorporate their preferred set of options/features which are not currently available in 1Password's UI. And if we tried to say "yes" to all of these requests, not only would we find it impossible (since, as our user-base has grown, so have the variety of wishes of users, to the point we frequently receive requests to do things that are 180° opposite from what other users request), but 1Password's UI would quickly come to resemble some of the worst of previous eras' UI nightmares:

That's something we try to avoid more assiduously than even adding a click or keystroke to people's workflows, because - as you noted - most users are NOT "power-users," and the more confusing and option-filled a UI, the greater the number of people who will be intimidated into simply not using it, or - worse - using it incorrectly through not really understanding what the choices they've made add up to in reality. We believe everyone, not just the power users, deserves good security, and we actually go to significant lengths to keep a lot of the complex cryptography involved in 1Password "under the hood" -- so users don't have to feel like the need to take an online course just to use 1Password.

...and also, separately, so I could suppress the reused password warning.

Ah, now that last one...is coming. I'm sorry it's taking so long; there are a number of moving pieces across several teams (the server team, as well as more than one other platform team) that have pushed this off. Suffice it to say we wanted to do it in a correct and comprehensive way (which includes per-user attributes on the server and all clients, which is no small task, hence the delay), rather than yet another 1Password for Mac-only toggle/checkbox/tag to suppress the warning. Short story: it's coming, assuming we don't hit any roadblocks. Disclaimer: I have no idea specifically when. But yeah, we heard you (and others) on this, and it's on the priority list.

Thanks again for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts with us; as well as for being a long-time user. Drop by any time if you have ideas or suggestions, or if you run into any issues. Cheers! :)

• WaynePer
    WaynePer
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, I get the Favorites thing, but it only gives me one favorite from each batch of passwords, rather than letting me order them in the order I want them. Whereas leading spaces don't bother me a bit. And given that alphabetization is a relatively standard way to order things (for, well, a long time now), it's hard to see it being a coding challenge, a UI obstacle, or a support issue.

So, all good, but mostly unconvincing.

-Wayne

ps- quite a straw man in there with the funny, but not helpful MS Word from 15 years ago. No advanced user wants you to make a stupid and overwhelming interface. But I wouldn't be surprised if 15-20 settings would cover 95% of the things that would help advanced users. We're not dumb. Just annoyed. Best to take, and treat, that intelligently and seriously as the first time I looked at LastPass in over 5 years was last night (and it almost felt like I was cheating on my gf).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@WaynePer

...it only gives me one favorite from each batch of passwords, rather than letting me order them in the order I want them.

I'm not sure I understand this; can you clarify? Anything you Favorite should show up in related searches that match the other critera (either domain or FQDN).

No advanced user wants you to make a stupid and overwhelming interface.

Of course they don't, intentionally. If we were to ask such a question directly of every advanced user who's advocating strongly for their one (or two) items/options/preferences/behaviors they insist we must add, they'd say "of course not." Since there are many such people, however, each with their own issue/request, that's exactly what I was referring to above: saying "yes" to them all would indeed result in something resembling the above. And so, instead, we exercise our own judgment about which suggestions to pursue and which to politely decline. :)

• WaynePer
    WaynePer
    Community Member
    Options

It's not a problem of items showing up, it's a problem of too many items showing up in an undefined order. I have 10-ish gmail accounts. One I use a lot, so I want it on top, and it has 3 leading spaces. Two I use more than others, so they have 2 leading spaces. One last one has 1 leading space. The rest have no leading spaces.

Every time I used to open the mini and type "gmail", I could either hit return for the most commonly used one, arrow down 1, 2, or 3 times for the more commonly used ones, or use the mouse or the down arrow to find whichever infrequently used gmail I needed.

Same goes for 15-ish other commonly used sites. Logins I'm using multiple times per week.

-Wayne

ps- I'm not sure you know what a straw man is. Or you just otherwise missed my point.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@WaynePer - thanks for the feedback. :)

• GeorgeAndy
    GeorgeAndy
    Community Member
    Options

Following up the comment / complaint / suggestion that I posted last month, I just want to say that I've now become completely comfortable and happy with the mini interface. It took me a while to realize that when I open the mini my cursor is in a search field. By typing the first few characters (sometimes only two!) of the desired login, then Enter, that page is opened and filled and I'm in! This is actually faster than what I used to do clicking on Favorites. So please count me in as a very satisfied user.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@GeorgeAndy: Thanks for following up! I appreciate the kind words, but most of all I'm happy to hear you've found a workflow that's comfortable for you. It can definitely be hard to adjust, even when it's beneficial to do so, but it's great to hear you've found a sweet spot with searching in mini. I'm right there with you. Honestly, I don't think I could use 1Password without it; I've just got too much data, and am not getting any less over time. Cheers! :lol: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.