Using 1Password4 so I can sync to Tablets with only limited data; can I upgrade the data file?

Ah. I do love to complicate things! I have 1Password7 stand alone on my Windows 7 desktop. It's fine. I've also exported a select group of logins from that to a file I used to import into 1Password4. I want to put that data on my two Android laptops. I did that and it was fine but then two things happened. Or didn't. First, the tablets upgraded to the opvault. But then I couldn't find that file when I went back. Then I also realized that the desktop version still has the agilekeychain data file. I'd like to use the desktop as my local sync point but I think if the keychain is or will be deprecated, I probably shouldn't. So my questions. Can I upgrade my keychain data file to the opvault without otherwise affecting 1Password4? I thought about a second vault on v7 but then there was nothing about porting that to other hardware. Is that possible? Could I use data from the first and import it into the second? Ugh. I don't like the sound of that at all. Maybe not such a good idea. Finally, is it possible to have two separate 1Password7 installations on my desktop at once? I'd probably have to pay for two but that might be worth it.

I realize part of this is about Android but since it starts with my Windows software, I thought I would start there too. I know it's a lot of questions but each seems to be predicated on knowing what I was trying to do so I put it all on one (long - I apologize) post.

My thanks for "listening", and for your patience. And help if you can.

-G.

1Password Version: 7.3.684, 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 7 64 bit
Sync Type: none (maybe local)
Referrer: forum-search:Using 1Password4 so I can sync to Tablets with only limited data; can I upgrade the data file?

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gorham,

Thank you for including the details!

I am not really sure of what you are trying to achieve, but using 1Password 7, then exporting your data to 1Password 4, and then syncing it to Android devices is not something we recommend or support.

You can follow the steps in this article to convert your old .agilekeychain vault to .opvault using 1Password 4. Is it something that would be helpful in your situation?

As for your questions about "porting 1Password 7 to other hardware" and "running two versions of 1Password 7 on the same PC", could you please elaborate on that? Any info will be helpful.

I am sorry if I raise more questions than you, while I should provide the answers here, but I am really confused. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

So sorry to confuse. I fear it was inevitable.

I'm not exactly trying to export from 1Password 7 to 1Password 4. I'm just using 1Password 4 as a conduit to get the data to my two Android tablets. Then I intend to sync them between each other and remove the 1Password 4 data. I'm not worrying anymore about converting the 1Password 4 data to opvault since the tablets will do that when I install.

So I decided to go back to what worked yesterday which I realize will accomplish my goal. Only now I can't. I can't sync to the keychain file that did work yesterday. I get some sort of Sync.Exception message. It doesn't last long enough for me to read it but does give me a "send sync report" link. Only that goes to several places that all give only this: "We welcome your feedback. If you're writing about a particular issue, please help us better assist you by providing as much detail as you can." But it's just a text file with no "action" available.

So here's where I am. On my Android tablet, I did a clean install (from Google Play) of "1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet". I copied my keychain from the v4 desktop to the folder on the tablet I've designated for my vault. I opened 1Password, selected local storage and then the file I'd copied over. I entered the password which works perfectly on the desktop. It "thinks" a bit and then gives me that Sync.Exception message.

So. Am I mis-remembering what I did yesterday?

OR...

I've just exported my data to a 1PIF file (I'll be careful!) which, in Excel, is quite a tidy affair. How can I use that to create a vault my tablets can use.

Did I just make it worse? Sorry.

-G.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@gorham: I am confused. Could you please tell me where you have your latest data in 1Password?

If it is 1Password 4 on your PC, and you use .agilekeychain vault there, please follow the steps above to convert your vault to .opvault, then put this new .opvault folder to the folder accessible on your tablets. Try to unlock it after that.

Thank you!

++
    Greg

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

I know it's confusing. Also time consuming the way I'm trying to do it. Anyway, the data I want to use on the tablets is in 1Password4. I'll go back and take the time to do the conversion right. I think that settles the whole issue so if we could mark this thread closed, I would. Thank you, @Greg for the time and help you've offered. Always really good help here!

-G.

• As an FYI, @gorham, those sync error notifications should open up an e-mail in your e-mail app on your tablet with an attachment that has some additional info about the issue. If you send that e-mail, it will go to our Android support team. You can also replace that "We appreciate your feedback" bit with any additional detail about what you did to trigger the error. What is often most helpful is just a walkthrough of what you did, step-by-step. We kind of have it in our heads what can go wrong along the way, so just knowing the path you took is enough to prompt some theories at times. I know you're trying a different tactic at this point and that's totally okay, but if you so happen to encounter the same error, sending off that report may be your best bet. Our Android team will be best equipped to figure out what went wrong and help you sort things out. :chuffed:

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate and thanks for this. I did realize how to do that. I'll keep that in my virtual toolbox where I hope I won't need it but probably will. 8-)

-G.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gorham, on behalf of bundtkate, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.